Bridgeport in the fall-just a bunch of pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > S. California Chapter
Reload this Page >

Bridgeport in the fall-just a bunch of pics

Notices
S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Old 10-18-2016, 03:12 PM
bpounds
2 bit Californian
bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation

Took a week and headed to the Sierra for a little fishing and hiking. Carol started a new job, and no chance of getting time off, so I was flying solo.

Camped near Twin Lakes, Bridgeport. I love it up here after the kiddos have gone back to school. Plenty of campsites available, and very peaceful and quiet.

Even the bucks were enjoying themselves, right in camp.

Robinson Creek flows through the camps. With the snowpack mostly gone, the water was rather low.

My office, at Lundy Lake. Caught a limit of trout in a couple of hours.

Wednesday was my 62nd birthday and I had a hike in mind, to Tamarack Lake. It has been roughly 50 years since I first hiked to this lake. I drove the truck to the end of the road, at an old mine shack, and headed up the mountain.

Tamarack Mine is still being worked by some old timer. But this old shack was a good place to leave the truck.

The view from the shack, of Bridgeport Valley. That is Bridgeport Reservoir in the far distance.

From here it is all uphill. It will be about 2.25 miles from the truck to Tamarack Lake, as the crow flies. It is considerably farther as the old fat guy flies. Did I mention, it is all uphill?

Soon the trail enters the Hoover Wilderness.

From there we get a good view of Lower Twin Lake. When I first hiked to this lake, we started from Lower Twin Lakes. 50 years has not made this mountain any lower, but it has made me smart enough to find a shorter route. I entered from the Summer Meadows side.

Still climbing. A not very good photo of the Hoover Wilderness sign.

The trail soon passes a beautiful alpine lake. No official name on the map. Just Alpine Pond.

The trail then enters the canyon. The lake basins were formed by glacial flows, and they pushed up these scree piles.

The glacial scree also formed the dams that caused the lakes to form.

Climbing over the scree dam, we get our first view of Tamarack Lake. In the distance you can see the next scree dam, which forms Hunewill Lake. It's about 0.7 miles farther up.

It is a very beautiful and pristine lake.

I fished for a while, but didn't catch anything. Took a little nap too. Then noticed that climbing around on the rocks had torn the Vibram sole off of one boot. Not so good when you've still got a long hike back. Fortunately it was engloved enough to hang in there and get me back to the truck.

This hike kicked my butt for sure, but it was rewarding to complete what I had set out to do. Might not have been too smart to set out by myself, some would say anyway.

To reward myself, and ease my sore muscles, I soaked a while in nearby Travertine Hot Springs and watched the sunset.

Got a little rain. Downtown Bridgeport.

Friday was terribly windy as one front blew out, and the next blew in. So I spent the day exploring some back roads and mines. This is the Success Mine, and the diggings are about all that is left.

A few miles away is the Chemung Mine and Mill. It is a large ruin, and I definitely need to get back out there and explore. The wind was blowing so hard, and the buildings looked so fragile, that I did not think it would be good to wander around. Gives me a reason to return next year.

The fall colors were spectacular in all directions.

Next we come to the Masonic Mine. This was a very large settlement, and at one time included Lower Town, Middle Town, and Upper Town of Masonic. There isn't a lot left standing. According to the Clampers sign (sorry, poor photo), gold was found, but ran in sporadic veins which made it difficult to make a steady profit. The Pittsburgh Mine is also a bit farther down the road. All of these mines, and more, are along a dirt road loop of about 20 miles, which starts just north of Bridgeport and returns to the highway just over the state line in Nevada.

Just north of Lee Vining, is Mill Creek. A power plant on Mill Creek supplied electricity to the town of Bodie. On March 7, 1911, a snow slide destroyed the power plant and killed several persons. They are buried in this lonesome cemetary, which is not visible from the highway. Geocaching led me to it.

And that was my birthday vacation.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader
wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Thanks Bill, great pics and lowered by bp by just reliving your adventure. Glad to see some markers yet unmarred by vandals. (though Masonic plaque had a few bullet holes?)

Old 10-18-2016, 07:57 PM
SpringerPop
Too old to be too smart
SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
Thanks for the (albeit vicarious) adventure, Bill!

Pop

Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader
Nighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputationNighteyez has a superb reputation
Great photos Bill.

Jim

Old 10-26-2016, 09:06 PM
r2millers
Postmaster
r2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud ofr2millers has much to be proud of
Thanks Bill for the great pics.
Reminds me of our last trip up there, close to 20 years ago. Camped in a borrowed tent trailer pull by our old Expy. Deer came right up to camp and as wrong as it was, let the kids, hand feed the does.
Sounds like a great trip, similar to your last one up there a year or two ago.
Maybe an early trip before the kids get out next Spring.