2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Supplemental heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:54 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
That heater is very welcome when it's cold outside. I forget the wattage on the coils but it's somewhere shy of 2,000 I think. ...
Yes, it's a big heater. Specifically, it has 50A fuses on each of three heating banks (plus the fan on bank #3). Assuming an 80% load and 12 volts (or so after the drop from 13.6 in the wire carrying the high current), you'll have around a 1500 watt heater.

I've never gotten in a cold vehicle and wished it took longer to get heat, especially when there is frost on the windshield.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Yeah, it's not fair, I agree. You pay the same price as me, but I get what, almost $4-500 value thrown in for free.

On the other hand, you folks living in warmer states don't have the enjoyment of routinely waking up to temps in the single digits, or well below zero, and having to scrape snow and ice off your windshield!
I'm in northern NY state. It gets below 0 here, it snows and we even get coated with ice once in a while. The heaters and extra alternator are all included . Now you guys have said you can tell it's heating. That's a welcome thing for me. My 2010 (which I had to pay for the rapid supplemental heater option, only block heater included free back then) really didn't do anything that I could tell. I just made sure truck was plugged in on cold nights so it had a little jump start on the warm up process.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Is the supplemental cab heater available on the 6.2L gasser too, or just on the 6.7L fuel oil burner?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,197 Likes on 573 Posts
6.7 only...

Old 10-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in and work northern Canada where my 08 has seen minus 40 in its day. -30 happens about as often as +30 so maybe 14 times a year. -20 is normal for weeks on end.

The supplemental heater honestly never thought it worked. On average it took 10-15 minutes running before felt warm enough to take off gloves. Plugging it in had most benefit.

Sure hope the new ones have stronger heaters. I will know in a months time.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:26 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Tried the manual and typed in supplemental heater and nothing happened.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sleepyguy
I live in and work northern Canada where my 08 has seen minus 40 in its day. -30 happens about as often as +30 so maybe 14 times a year. -20 is normal for weeks on end.

The supplemental heater honestly never thought it worked. On average it took 10-15 minutes running before felt warm enough to take off gloves. Plugging it in had most benefit.

Sure hope the new ones have stronger heaters. I will know in a months time.

That's about how I felt about my 2010 6.4. Never seemed to do much of anything. I know just like others said above, to run the fan on low only so not to over burden it with too much fresh, cold outside air but it only seemed to blow ice cubes until 10 minutes or so in when the truck started to actually warm the coolant.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:00 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Retried the owners manual and your suggestion of control F did not return anything regarding supplemental heater. Referred to climate control section as suggested and still nada. But anyway I'm sure someone will report on its efficacy when cooler weather abounds.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:58 PM
gotroxs
Senior User
One of the most common options I see on the trucks on the lot here in AZ, block heater. I've got it on my 2014 Dually. Never used it and don't even know how. We might have 5 days in the winter that go below freezing but the dealers always seem to have ordered it on the trucks. What a waste.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Many times I drive holding the steering wheel with only my finger tips because it's so cold.

I think you need more iron in your diet!

Old 10-19-2016, 06:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by gotroxs
One of the most common options I see on the trucks on the lot here in AZ, block heater. I've got it on my 2014 Dually. Never used it and don't even know how. We might have 5 days in the winter that go below freezing but the dealers always seem to have ordered it on the trucks. What a waste.
For all the old, IDI diesels...plus the newer ones using a HEUI system, the block heater was very important to cold weather starting and performance. Since Ford switched to common rail injection, the block heater plays a much less important role. Basically, the 6.7L will start from cold at -40F without the block heater. However, the block heater still does a couple of things: it warms the engine oil and coolant a little bit, which reduces engine wear at startup and also provides heat to the cab more quickly.

I would be remiss if my diesel didn't have a block heater. I only use it if the temp is going below zero overnight...my truck sits outside...and I just feel it helps reduce engine wear slightly and warms the truck up slightly quicker.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:27 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtsBest
Tried the manual and typed in supplemental heater and nothing happened.
You're correct, there appears to be absolutely nothing in the new owner's manual regarding the supplemental heater, except the fuses.

Up to 2016, there used to be an additional publication included on diesel trucks called the "Diesel Supplement" and the info about the heater was contained in that guide. Now, it appears everything is consolidated into one huge owner's manual.

Here is the text from the manual of my 2016; I would imagine function is largely the same:

The optional rapid heat feature is an electrically powered device that provides supplemental heat during engine warm up. During initial warm up, you should use a mid to low blower speed for maximum effectiveness. When operating in automatic mode (when equipped) the climate control unit determines the appropriate blower speed for existing conditions.

The heater was called "RapidHeat" as a trade name by Ford in the past.

Somewhere, specific information was provided about the behavior of the heater. For example, the heater only activates if the outside ambient temp and engine coolant temp are below a preset threshold.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:40 AM
Force74
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find anything on it either. Tried my buddy google too....the top hits are our forum. Weird.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:07 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's funny that N. Indiana isn't part of the "cold weather states", maybe they haven't been here before. lol

Old 10-19-2016, 08:21 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EightySecond
I think it's funny that N. Indiana isn't part of the "cold weather states", maybe they haven't been here before. lol
Andy, I have friends that live in Liberty and all he does is plow snow all winter!

And my 2 cents, if you live where it gets into single digits, a supplemental heater is a must.

Quick Reply: Supplemental heater