1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just What You Want to See... Another '53 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Not much "rebuilding" to report, just driving the old boy. More than 200 miles and only stranded 3 times. Out of gas, plugged fuel filter, and an unsecured radiator cap, but a good friend once and a very understanding wife twice, came to the rescue.
Will soon get down to disassembly but really torn on how to proceed. Originally I was going to take it all the way down and do a full restoration... now I'm considering just doing the mechanicals and leaving the body as is ... at least for now???
Got to say driving this thing and spending time here on this forum learning, is more fun than I've had in a long time... thanks !!!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:49 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome! very nice truck you have there. Sounds like you have had a short season this year and full restos often take a lot longer than you think so if I was you I'd tend to some basic mechanicals and minor upgrades like disc brakes and the wheels and tires you want and maybe pull the gas tank and clean it out and then try to drive those new wheels off it next summer. P.S.I grew up in Sparta so I notice with interest all you Michigan boys and your projects and I know your pain with rust thru. Here in Oregon our cars die of old age or simply the lack of someone to want to do some mechanical work long before they accumulate any rust. My daily driver is a 88 Plymouth minivan and the only rust is on the roof where the original paint has failed and the rattlecan primer wears thru.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM
seanf100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my '53 ....along with my cousins '59 F100 ....oh ...and a welcome from the UK

Old 11-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
Been slow going with any major accomplishments on "Henry", mostly because I've basically made him my daily driver..
A few little additions like new wiper arms and blades, a heater distribution box, and one new striker plate for the drivers door. Major frustration has been wheels and tires.
Just wanted something to get me through the fall and found a set of used 6.50-16 bias ply take offs pretty reasonable, so had them mounted and balanced. They were horrible to say the least. They had a low speed thump in them that made driving around town very uncomfortable. The original tires did that too but not as bad so I determined that it must be the wheels.
I found a cheap set of 15" wheels and radial tires off a Hot Rod, I through on for nowand she drive like a dream in comparison.. Front are to small and the backs to wide but they will work for now...

Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
New bias plies are better than older ones. I haven't noticed much of a flat spot after sitting for a while.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:16 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
New bias plies are better than older ones. I haven't noticed much of a flat spot after sitting for a while.
Abe, I think if I had bought new, I would have had the same issue. I think a PO used the wrong lug nuts on those rims and damaged the holes. Two different sets of tires on the same rims produced the same result. When I switched to the different wheels with the new radials the "thump" went away...

Opinion question for all... The new rears are about 27.5" diameter, a bit shorter than the 6.50-16s. The calculated engine RPM is 2650 at 55mph and that seems pretty close, maybe a bit higher, with a make shift tach I hooked up.. Anybody think thats too much for an old Flathead to run at cruise?

Old 11-22-2016, 12:54 PM
SierraPapa
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going through these calculations myself as mine has 4.27 gearing so I would like to see what others say as well.

I did find some of these charts which makes seeing it a little easier.
Gear Ratio Guide - Gear and Tire Diameter Ratio

4Lo.com :: Gear Ratio & Tire Size Chart

Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Effies 56
More Turbo
Received 117 Likes on 48 Posts
Hanger53,
Man that is a sweet looking 53! It just looks so solid! Glad your having fun with the truck and one here too. (I just joined today). Your truck looks like something I would drive too! I didn't know you could still find them like that?
As far as a complete tear down? That's up to you? Lots of work and dollars, but it can be very rewarding work too.
These forums are part of my therapy also!
Regards,
Chris

Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Latest "Henry" update:
Had to put him on the back burner for the winter as another project took priority and longer than expected. Got him out this spring and ran just as well as the day I put him away.
I've decided to leave him basically as is and run for the summer before starting any major work.I need to do the electrics for sure and would like to install a Dual Reservoir Master Cyl. but keep the front drums for now.
I bought a complete wiring harness, (12 volt, neg grd) and tomorrow all the 64 yr old wire will be in the trash can!! Got the new harness played out on the floor and all tagged but it is still a little daunting to know that it's not going to run again until get this installed correctly...
Found a master cyl kit from a place called performance on line. It looks pretty good but know nothing about. Could not find anything at LMC or Mid-Fifty that worked with drums. All were for disc conversions..
Any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:25 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Hanger53
Found a master cyl kit from a place called performance on line. It looks pretty good but know nothing about. Could not find anything at LMC or Mid-Fifty that worked with drums. All were for disc conversions..
Any suggestions?
I bought the double master cylinder kit from Mid-Fifty, part #5914, the bracket #5912, the brake light switch kit #90518, and the clutch bracket and shaft kit #5950.

You will need to "tee" the master cylinder output for the front brakes. The original MC has three outputs. One for the rear and one each for the left and right fronts. The new MC will have one for the rear and one for the front.

Edit: Added picture

Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Hanger53
Senior User
Thanks, guess I should have looked a little better on Mid-Fifty's website...

Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice truck, I am in Michigan also. I wish my truck was as solid as yours. mine is a basket case. Are you planning to go to the F100 Supernationals in Tenn?

Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
Thanks Greg, it's a good old truck but a bit of a 50 footer, some old body work wasn't done very well and some rust in the Cab. The longer I have it the less inclined I am to do anything but drive it!!

Hope to get down to the Supernationals, don't have my kitchen pass yet

What town are you located? You should try to make the Lane Automotive Memorial day event Lane Automotive Car Show and the Kalamazoo Street Rod Nationals in September. Both great events if you live in this part of the country!!

BTW I love the Olds Convertible!!

Old 05-14-2017, 07:02 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
I live about 35 miles north of Lansing. Never been to Lane. I might check it out.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:15 AM
Hanger53
Senior User
I hope this thing runs when I'm done...

Quick Reply: Just What You Want to See... Another '53 Build