1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

97 F-150 4x4 speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
tao4mind1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F-150 4x4 speedometer

Just drug a 97 ford f-150 4.6 engine 4x4 out of a farmers field and his teenage boys used it to chase cattle back into the barns. Took two days to get it "somewhat" road worthy and drove it 341 miles on the interstate home. Dash lights up like a Christmas tree ABS, Check engine, overdrive, all flashing, no speedometer. Best guess is a speedometer censor, so I called a mechanic and his quote was $187.00 for labor and part. Called Ford service center and $209.00 for labor and part. One 3/8th inch nut on top of the rear end and with O'Reilly online auto parts coupons the part is $12.00 and when I asked why? The service manager said blame Obamacare's mandatory insurance. That's what Papa Murphy's said about my $10.00 pizza now $14.00. Obviously I'm crawling under my truck and my wife is making pizza at home.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Your making a mistake by guessing.
Trouble shoot first to be sure what you need.
There might be a code set for something.
Could even be an electrical issue behind the dash.
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM
tao4mind1
New User
Put the rear end censor in and all the lights went out but the service engine and it is not flashing but just on. Under the truck I noticed the switch motor missing on the transfer case and exhausts are straight pipe cherry packs no cats or censors. Truck runs great once warmed up but is confused when cold and drops idol killing the engine; but after it's warm starts and runs great. Loud enough to wake up the entire neighborhood. Heater core also bypassed which is a real pain on my labor. Cutting off the rusty Nerf/step bars today. Run hard chasing cattle and put away wet and the odometer stopped working at 287,000 miles, it's a FORD.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:28 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
The pasture must have been large and flat to run a truck without getting stuck and with loud exhaust to herd the cattle.
Obviously the truck was relegated to junk low worth status.
Missing transfer case motor meant no 4wd.
These areas may have been damages from the use the truck got.
Missing cats and sensors means hard cold starts and drive a-ways.
They also mean CEL light will be on and never go off without them.
They also mean high fuel consumption
For the road you need to replace all the exhaust and sensors in their proper locations.
Don't be surprised if you have a lot of faults before it's all over.
You should see codes for missing sensors, missing cats, damage to harness and of course the 4wd will not work without the case motor.
Maybe the front drive actuator is even missing, better take a look.
In short it will be a learning experience like a tech class to bring back the systems to full working order.
There is an old saying that says when you get something for free like this truck, it is not truly free by the time you get done fixing it.
Basically without Ox Sensors the motor is running on fixed and rich fuel tables in program.
Other codes will tell you about missing Cats which are the 420/421 codes etc.
Service for the codes one at a time.
There is no room for guessing about any of the work. You need to work on the basis of knowing how things work, then logic and testing to verify, then replace parts needed.
Good luck.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 PM
tao4mind1
New User
Harrisonville Mo. is where the truck is from. Junk to some is a treasure to others. As far as money invested a poor condition 97 f150 4x4 value is $3,200 and not even close to that yet. Will cut a couple used catalytic converters from salvage into the straight pipes and use spark plugs defouler from AutoZone to bypass codes. The rebuilt switch motor is $59.00. Cut the step bars off and being from Oklahoma the heater core can wait, our winters are maybe snow one or two days a year. The exhausts is welded back and coat hangers all gone, but still need to cut in a couple cats. Right now the rear end is getting new seals and brake drums, shoes. Tomorrow I'm going to the salvage yards to find some 16 inch tires and bringing my hack saw in case I see a cat or two. It's shocking how many people with newer tires crash their cars and trucks. 4x4 actuators, vacuum solenoid will happen after the shift motor.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
I am not personally objecting but you realize the yard that sells you used Cats is breaking Federal law and risks a $10,000 fine. I'm sure they know this unless an employee does not.
As long as your going to all this effort, why not wire up the Ox Sensors to work as they are supposed to.
Some where there you should find the ends of the wire from the harness on the passenger side of the motor.
They are included in the main harness along with the transmission control leads.
You need the sensor inputs to the computer and the fused power source from the fuse panel.
You may find a complete harness to replace with.
The computer monitors both circuits but each in a different way.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 AM
tao4mind1
New User
All these Federal laws are for the oppression of the peasants. Was a time in history where you could purchase used tires from any tire shop; now they (Firestone, Goodyear, OK tires,) are required to drill holes in all the used tires and recycle them. It's pathetic how the government is involved in teenagers wanting to rebuild vehicles or remodel homes (shacks) with all the regulations, codes, and mandatory federal mandates. The catalytic converter federal laws can impound your vehicle just if the service engine light is on and fine you $1500 and a year in jail if found negligent in repairs to your vehicle. Obviously these laws are socioeconomically selectively enforced on the working classes and minorities.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:23 AM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tao4mind1
All these Federal laws are for the oppression of the peasants. Was a time in history where you could purchase used tires from any tire shop; now they (Firestone, Goodyear, OK tires,) are required to drill holes in all the used tires and recycle them. It's pathetic how the government is involved in teenagers wanting to rebuild vehicles or remodel homes (shacks) with all the regulations, codes, and mandatory federal mandates. The catalytic converter federal laws can impound your vehicle just if the service engine light is on and fine you $1500 and a year in jail if found negligent in repairs to your vehicle. Obviously these laws are socioeconomically selectively enforced on the working classes and minorities.
Then I'd say you need to re-read history as I was more than able to obtain a set of good used tires for my truck with zero fussing. Either that or you live in California. If so, please disregard the previous statement as logic does not apply in California

As for getting catalytic converters from a junkyard, most won't sell them due to federal laws. However, if they cannot identify the part as a cat and sell it as a muffler or resonator, it is fair game. But to put it in perspective, JEGS and Summit Racing sell universal cats for relatively cheap. And there's always the guys parting trucks out too...

Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 AM
tao4mind1
New User
Been too busy working the truck and made three loads to the landfill yesterday and truck bed full for a Monday trip. Truck is loud as heck if you put your foot into it; but neighbors claim a few mustangs have louder exhausts. Think I will just work the truck until it pays me back the one thousand I have spent at auction. Got 4 new tires and the Vin door panel said 235/70/16 so I got 4 at 332.00 out the door mounted and balanced. Did get two tail lenses from Taiwan for $20 bucks to replace the cracked and broken ones. Everything seems to work great in 2wd except I feel like a teenager with cherry bomb glass packs and headers, the 4x4 has issues with wires into the shift motor cut out or illuminated from the computer system, previous owner bypassed several censors and hardwired the tachometer, bypassed heater core and had the core pressure tested with no loss of air. No sure what they were doing or if this is the original engine; the dash was removed and bolts not replaced for some reason too, passengers air bag gone. Did notice a little oil on the left front boot so that differential seal is starting to fail; otherwise no leaks. Replaced brake drums on rear. Truck has issues; but made me $250.00 yesterday cleaning out an elderly couples shed. Still has a few loads left in her.