1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Factory Remote Keyless Entry to 2008 XL

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Added Factory Remote Keyless Entry to 2008 XL

I can't find my old thread, but this deserves its own thread anyway.

Today I successfully enabled the factory RKE on my 2008 XL that was disabled from the factory simply because the pickup was not ordered with it.

I owe the success of this mod to my purchase of a 2016 Mustang GT. It got me onto the mustang6g forum and I found this post:
Modifying As-Built Data Guide - 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

which gave me all of the info to get this done. The post on mustang6g is a copy of work from a focus forum with a few additions for the mustang. I guess I'm moving it over to the ford-trucks world!

I purchased a bluetooth OBDLink MX adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and used it with a Windows 10 laptop to do my programming.

The program for windows is called FORScan. FORScan Home
and has it's own forum dedicated to the software.

I also made use of this program to narrow down which bits to pay attention to for this particular mod.
CompulsiveCode - AFPexplorer
The most time consuming part of this is to find valid VINs to download the as-built data, and ETIS files. For this step, the more you can find, the better chance you have at a successful mod if it is even possible. I scoured used car websites to find VINs.

Using this, I narrowed my focus to 7 bits in the as-built data that were always 1 on the RKE pickups while always 0 on the non-RKE pickups... I got lucky, and the first two bits I changed were the ticket! The other 5 go to other features.

Ultimately, I had to go into the hexadecimal as-built data and change the first byte of register 726-04-01 from 0x00 to 0x06 which toggled bits 5 and 6. (00000110)

If you have any programming background, this is a bit counter-intuitive. I maintain that I toggled bits 1 and 2, but maybe I'm just a big-endian.

I now have factory RKE on an XL.
Ford said that couldn't be done.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Toolman76
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used FORScan today to enable the ambient light sensor and DRL's since I added fog lights with switch that had auto headlight feature. Luckily those are in the menu and didn't have to modify hexcode.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:53 PM
cal2050
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by TexasRebel
I can't find my old thread, but this deserves its own thread anyway.

Today I successfully enabled the factory RKE on my 2008 XL that was disabled from the factory simply because the pickup was not ordered with it.

I owe the success of this mod to my purchase of a 2016 Mustang GT. It got me onto the mustang6g forum and I found this post:
Modifying As-Built Data Guide - 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

which gave me all of the info to get this done. The post on mustang6g is a copy of work from a focus forum with a few additions for the mustang. I guess I'm moving it over to the ford-trucks world!

I purchased a bluetooth OBDLink MX adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and used it with a Windows 10 laptop to do my programming.

The program for windows is called FORScan. FORScan Home
and has it's own forum dedicated to the software.

I also made use of this program to narrow down which bits to pay attention to for this particular mod.
CompulsiveCode - AFPexplorer
The most time consuming part of this is to find valid VINs to download the as-built data, and ETIS files. For this step, the more you can find, the better chance you have at a successful mod if it is even possible. I scoured used car websites to find VINs.

Using this, I narrowed my focus to 7 bits in the as-built data that were always 1 on the RKE pickups while always 0 on the non-RKE pickups... I got lucky, and the first two bits I changed were the ticket! The other 5 go to other features.

Ultimately, I had to go into the hexadecimal as-built data and change the first byte of register 726-04-01 from 0x00 to 0x06 which toggled bits 5 and 6. (00000110)

If you have any programming background, this is a bit counter-intuitive. I maintain that I toggled bits 1 and 2, but maybe I'm just a big-endian.

I now have factory RKE on an XL.
Ford said that couldn't be done.
Great write up! I have an 08 F250 XLT but it doesn't appear to have remote keyless entry. I plan to do the steps and wanted to try to get mine working. If I have any questions, I
maybe touching base with you.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:29 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
I'll try to reply promptly. Just be sure the vehicle came with power locks from the factory.

I'm a bit confused by that image though... I hope you didn't buy any parts for RKE. All you need is the key fob. The OE Smart Junction Box already contains the programming. You just need to reprogram a bit. (pun intended)

Old 08-25-2018, 02:34 PM
cal2050
5th Wheeling
I'll try to reply promptly. Just be sure the vehicle came with power locks from the factory.

I'm a bit confused by that image though... I hope you didn't buy any parts for RKE. All you need is the key fob. The OE Smart Junction Box already contains the programming. You just need to reprogram a bit. (pun intended)
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, my XLT came with power locks, power windows, and power mirrors. It is a manual transmission so, hopefully, that won't have any effect on anything. I have not gone out and bought anything yet in regards to that. Reading posts prior to yours, I wanted to locate that module to see if there was at 5-digit RKE code on it. Once I noticed that it did not have it, I started searching more threads and that's when I came across your post. If everything sounds right with that, I'm going to go ahead and buy that tool to get things moving.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:09 PM
cal2050
5th Wheeling

I'm working on this today and was hoping you may be able to assist? I pulled up my As Built data and have both of the programs, FORscan and Compulsive Code running.

EDIT: I fixed it! Thanks for your write-up and Rixter99's write-up, I got it working. I changed my hex value from 0032 to 0632, which FORscan then automatically changed to 0638. Now, I have RKE as I always have on my other vehicles in the past. While I was at it, I also got ride of my TPMS light, which was super annoying. The tires I have on mow ar 35x12.50R17LT's and that light has been on since I bought the truck, which the previous owner had put on those tires. Almost all squared away. Now, on to getting my mirrors to work with the power fold option and then the power telecoping option.

I used this GoogleSheet as well to assist...https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t#gid=86162567.

Thanks again for all of your time and efforts! MUCH APPRECIATED!

Last edited by cal2050; 09-29-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: FIXED
Old 02-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Rutcutter
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey guys will you send me the Bambi code to keep fogs on with the High beams on a 11'? Been awhile let me know the module etc.. If there is anything else I could do let me know,its a no nav everything standard truck. Thanks guys.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutcutter
Hey guys will you send me the Bambi code to keep fogs on with the High beams on a 11'? Been awhile let me know the module etc.. If there is anything else I could do let me know,its a no nav everything standard truck. Thanks guys.
You need to use this spreadsheet in the BCM section.

FORScan 2016 Super Duty - Google Sheets

Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
Subscribed so I can find this again when I want to try to get my '08 remotes working.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 AM
96_F250_Deezal
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, ForScan is a great tool. I have used it to enable many things on my 2011 F350 XL. so far I have:

added and enabled cruise control
enabled bambi mode
enabled DRL
added and enabled remote start
added and enabled trailer brake module
added and enabled hill descent
added Fog lights and enabled automatic head lights and ambient light sensor
disabled seat belt warning chime.

Its a great diagnostic tool also, when my AC stopped working, I was able to use ForScan to figure out the Evap temp sensor had shorted. NO OTHER scan tool communicated with the HVAC module.

Also, the software was recently updated and the ABS bleed service tool is now supported on most E and F series trucks, including superduties.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:19 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 96_F250_Deezal
Yep, ForScan is a great tool. I have used it to enable many things on my 2011 F350 XL. so far I have:

added and enabled cruise control
enabled bambi mode
enabled DRL
added and enabled remote start
added and enabled trailer brake module
added and enabled hill descent
added Fog lights and enabled automatic head lights and ambient light sensor
disabled seat belt warning chime.

Its a great diagnostic tool also, when my AC stopped working, I was able to use ForScan to figure out the Evap temp sensor had shorted. NO OTHER scan tool communicated with the HVAC module.

Also, the software was recently updated and the ABS bleed service tool is now supported on most E and F series trucks, including superduties.
I would like to do the same on my 2011 F-250 Lariat. Have the new keys (need to be cut) and the remote start kit is installed (by me) and now need to do the programming if it is not over my head.

Got a direction in which to point me?

Thanks!!

Griz

Old 02-22-2019, 04:19 PM
96_F250_Deezal
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ibdagriz
I would like to do the same on my 2011 F-250 Lariat. Have the new keys (need to be cut) and the remote start kit is installed (by me) and now need to do the programming if it is not over my head.

Got a direction in which to point me?

Thanks!!

Griz
sure what information do you need? basically, you are programming both keys, enabling remote start in the BCM then enabling the remote start settings in the IPC.

here is a link to my original Post.. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ote-start.html

Old 04-05-2019, 08:42 AM
ratman6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uploaded build data to Google Docs

I have been following these threads and found valuable info. In that light, I uploaded my as built data to google docs. The window sticker also. This is for a 2016 F250 SRW 6.2, Crew, LB - folder is C61147 .https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VTGpcuWgIyE4mX

Old 04-05-2019, 05:24 PM
FunkMonkeyTX
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just used Forscan to add the remote start to my 2014 f250 XLT 6.2L. Ordered the updated FOB with the remote start button off Amazon. Added the FOBs first and tested that remote start would actually work. Only got one key with the truck, so i had a locksmith cut 2 new keys and then added them via Forscan. Now i have 3 keys and 2 with remote start buttons.

While i was in Forscan i turned on the Daytime Running Light and bambi mode options. Bambi mode will allow the fog lights to stay on with the high beams. Did the same changes to my Fusion Hybrid.

oh and adding the additional keys allowed me to retrieve the factory code for the keyless entry panel on the drivers door!

Lots of great info here and on other sites.

Not an expert by any means, but happy to help anyone who might have questions or want more info.

Last edited by FunkMonkeyTX; 04-05-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added keyless info
Old 11-24-2019, 02:25 AM
xpl0sive
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for posting this, exactly what I was trying to find. Now just need to get my FORscan working. I updated my IDS firmware and now my ForScan doesn't want to play with it anymore. On a related topic, what remotes are you guys using? Factory Ford ones? Has anyone tried the cheap amazon ones?

Quick Reply: Added Factory Remote Keyless Entry to 2008 XL