Holley Sniper EFI - is there a complete kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
Holley Sniper EFI - is there a complete kit

I have a 460/C6 out of a '77 F-250 that I'll be putting in my '76 F-100 RWD LWB truck. I think that I understand the costs and return on a carbureted system but I also want to consider EFI options such as the Holley Sniper EFI Self-Tuning Master Kit.
In addition to the kit cited above, I'd need an intake manifold, tank mounted fuel pump and probably some other things. I know that Edelbrock makes an intake manifold but have no assurance that it is compatible with the Holley unit.
Has anyone here done this recently such that they can help me understand what all I will need and how much it will cost? Is there a vendor or dealer that offers a complete kit?

Old 10-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I certainly have not done this, but I looked through both links.

The Holley unit is a Throttle-Body Injection (TBI) unit. It is meant to replace the carburetor (along with all the other mods needed to support the system, of course). Is there a Holley fitment table somewhere that shows that it is compatible with your engine, that it will fit the carb mounting of the intake manifold?

The Edelbrock intake manifold you linked to is an EFI manifold, ie., it is meant to be part of a PORT injection system. It has holes for all the injectors to be mounted, needs fuel rail, etc. etc.

To use the Holley system, if you don't like your stock intake manifold, wouldn't you want to use an upgraded carb-style manifold for your engine? If you presently have a 4-barrel carb, getting a new 4-barrel compatible manifold for your year of engine puts the original carb mounting there, and if a Holley fitment table shows that your stock year/engine/carb style fits their throttle body unit, then it would seem you're good to go.

If you haven't done it yet, I suggest reading through the whole document on the Holley system, it is 34 pages. They include an inline fuel pump. I have no idea what you do with dual gas tanks, unless that is why you mention an in-tank pump.

I did notice in the Holley instructions, that it needs a place in the intake manifold for a coolant temperature sensor to screw in to, NOT a location on the water outlet. Just something to keep in mind. If worst comes to worst, maybe a hole could be carefully drilled and threaded into a water passage in the intake manifold, if there is no suitable existing place.

EDIT:
I read this at the beginning of the Holley Quick Start manual on it:
Engine Requirements
Before moving forward with the installation, please verify your vehicle meets the engine and fuel system requirements below:

Engine is a naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, etc.) V8

Engine horsepower is between 250–

Engine has a 4 BBL, 4150 style square flange or universal flanged spread bore intake manifold*

Unleaded fuel only

Any RTV silicone sealants used on the engine are
sensor safe

* Any square flange Holley type intake manifold will work. A spread bore intake manifold may work with no adapter as long as it is an aftermarket “universal flange” (meaning it has dual bolt patterns), and as long as it has enough material such that no vacuum leaks occur along the perimeter of the throttle body. If there is not enough material, a sealing plate (Weiand® PN 9006) can be used. Factory dual plane intakes will require an adapter (PN 17-6).

Fuel System Requirements
The Sniper EFI system requires a high pressure fuel pump capable of operating at 60 psi. When selecting a pump, and lines, be sure each component is designed to perform at high pressure. Holley offers a variety of
fuel pumps, hoses and accessories to complete your installation.
For best results, Holley strongly recommends an in-tank pump. Installing the fuel pump in the tank
results in quieter operation, less chance of cavitation and a reduction in pump temperature. If mounting the pump in the tank is not an option, install the pump as close as possible to the tank. Within 2-feet of sending unit is recommended.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:01 PM
flowney
Cargo Master
Received 254 Likes on 187 Posts
@Torky2 Thanks for straightening me out on that crucial point. I had indeed conflated two different systems. As you suggested, I will read through that document from Holley before taking any action.