2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Superduty noob questions

I'm considering purchasing my first Ford Superduty 2017 and have a few noob questions...I have owned 2 Ford F150's and 2 Ram 1500's in the past all gas V8's.

1. Where is the 2017 Superduty built? I see "Final Assembly Kentucky" on window stickers I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Where is the 6.7 L Powerstroke diesel engine manufactured?

2. With DEF, regeneration, and all this diesel pollution crap what kind of mileage are people getting? My brother purchased a 2015/2016 Ram and Nissan Titan HD diesels (both were bought back) and he tells me the frequent regen destroyed his mileage.

3. FX4 Off-Road package, I saw a youtube video where a guy said the Rancho shocks were toast after only 3,000 miles and junk. He replaced with Bilstien. I can option just the skid plates for $100, I don't really care about the FX4 Off-road sticker. I don't see any reason to pay hundreds of dollars for the Rancho shocks if they are crap. What are you guys doing?

Lets start with those 3 questions. I briefly test drove a 2017 F350 Lariat last weekend, very nice truck. Was surprised by the power from a stop and stomping it at about 30mph. My brothers Ram Cummins diesel was a gutless dead pedal in both those situations.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:40 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 423 Likes on 136 Posts
1. The Super Duty is built in Kentucky. The PowerStroke is built in Mexico. The transmission is built in the US (don't remember where off-hand).

2. Can't answer that as my truck is an '08.

3. The FX4 package comes with locking rear diff, skid plates, shocks, and hill descent control. Everything but the hill descent control can be added separately.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:04 AM
achec
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolidge54
I'm considering purchasing my first Ford Superduty 2017 and have a few noob questions...I have owned 2 Ford F150's and 2 Ram 1500's in the past all gas V8's.

1. Where is the 2017 Superduty built? I see "Final Assembly Kentucky" on window stickers I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Where is the 6.7 L Powerstroke diesel engine manufactured?

2. With DEF, regeneration, and all this diesel pollution crap what kind of mileage are people getting? My brother purchased a 2015/2016 Ram and Nissan Titan HD diesels (both were bought back) and he tells me the frequent regen destroyed his mileage.

3. FX4 Off-Road package, I saw a youtube video where a guy said the Rancho shocks were toast after only 3,000 miles and junk. He replaced with Bilstien. I can option just the skid plates for $100, I don't really care about the FX4 Off-road sticker. I don't see any reason to pay hundreds of dollars for the Rancho shocks if they are crap. What are you guys doing?

Lets start with those 3 questions. I briefly test drove a 2017 F350 Lariat last weekend, very nice truck. Was surprised by the power from a stop and stomping it at about 30mph. My brothers Ram Cummins diesel was a gutless dead pedal in both those situations.
details on the titan please

Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 AM
coolidge54
Elder User
Titan - He loved the truck but just gave up after a while there were so many issues. I think it was in the dealer shop 57 days out of the few months he owned it, it was brand new he paid cash for it.

Interior - Several minor interior issues which they fixed. The major issue was the headliner had a greasy hand print they could not clean off. The dealer ordered a new headliner 4 times, all 4 times the headliner arrived with shipping damage. You know the drill hey your headliner is in, he drops off the truck, next day they discover the new one is damaged. They never did replace it.

Exterior - Part of the cab didn't get painted, it was bare primer and they were going to have to repaint the entire cab. The diesel engine had some kind of major problem, it was doing regens more and more frequently to the point that it got ridiculous. Dealer had it for several weeks, they had a Nissan engineer look it over, did some reprogramming or whatever. He picked it up and it entered a regen 2 miles from the dealer. He managed to drive it about 40 miles when the engine started coughing and the whole truck was bucking, he pulled off the road. No CEL or anything. He turned it off, turned it back on and it wouldn't drive more than about 5mph even with the pedal floored. He had it towed back to the dealer and told them he was done with it. The dealer tested it and said it ran fine.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:49 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Mileage wise, the console computer on my new Dully across Texas and the other flat states, stated I was getting 20.3MPrG's. Through Penn. it dropped to 19.6 through the hills of that state. Here as of yesterday, with local driving, I average about 18. With a small down hill stretch it stated 23. Going to dis guard that one. At about 6000 miles I will hand calculate it for more accuracy. (All done unloaded and the across states traveling was at 70-75MPH)

Old 10-14-2016, 05:11 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by HouseMouse
Mileage wise, the console computer on my new Dully across Texas and the other flat states, stated I was getting 20.3MPrG's. Through Penn. it dropped to 19.6 through the hills of that state. Here as of yesterday, with local driving, I average about 18. With a small down hill stretch it stated 23. Going to dis guard that one. At about 6000 miles I will hand calculate it for more accuracy. (All done unloaded and the across states traveling was at 70-75MPH)
HouseMouse, does your dually have the 3.55 or 4.10 rear axle?

My dually has the 3.55; seems I am getting similar mileage...although I'm in hilly NH/VT.

Coolidge,

The pollution controls are all there, but you'll rarely notice them. During regen, your average mpg will drop as more fuel is used for the regen process. However, regen is only happening every 500 miles or so. During regen, the truck performs normally.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:52 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
HouseMouse, does your dually have the 3.55 or 4.10 rear axle?

My dually has the 3.55; seems I am getting similar mileage...although I'm in hilly NH/VT.

Coolidge,

The pollution controls are all there, but you'll rarely notice them. During regen, your average mpg will drop as more fuel is used for the regen process. However, regen is only happening every 500 miles or so. During regen, the truck performs normally.
Yesssir-Ree..... Got the 3.55. Never in my wildest dreams would i have thought of this kind of mileage. I was hoping for at least 15 on a good day. Seems around town the average is 18.... so far anyway. Just to add some insult to this post, I bought a Cummins and got 24 all day long till my first trip to the dealer.... They advised me that they updated the computer with the latest software.... Mileage dropped to 20/21 respectively. Think the 24 was a pre-programed selling point for the Dealers use only till after the truck was sold. (2005)

Old 10-14-2016, 06:09 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by HouseMouse
Yesssir-Ree..... Got the 3.55. Never in my wildest dreams would i have thought of this kind of mileage.
It doesn't totally surprise me. The SRW trucks with the same axle can achieve considerably better - I was able to pull 26mpg once in my 2016 over 100 miles - but if I can occasionally hit 20mpg I'm quite happy. Lifetime average so far is 15.5 - with at least 200 miles of towing.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:30 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by coolidge54

More specifically, the Kentucky Truck plant is in Louisville, KY.
So you told us about the Nissan that was bought back, but what about the Ram, what happened there?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Kenv
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've seen...Regen in any diesel is doing to effect the mileage somewhat. It has to adjust back after the cycle. Sounds like he panicked and thought the regen/gas mileage dent was unique to these trucks...but does he realize they ALL do it???

Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Force74
Senior User
2700 Miles on and lifetime is at 16.7. I've gotten as high as 20.5 and as low as 12 (pulling). My miles would be a 50/50 mix between interstate and town with 900 miles of interstate towing (2700lbs - 14' trailer) mixed in. F350 CCSB 4X4 6.7L w/3.55's.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:42 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
fordmantpw - ah the locking diff the price on the FX4 Offroad package makes more sense now.

HouseMouse - thanks that's great mileage for a truck this heavy at those speeds, I'm leaning diesel now. The mileage on the 6.2 gas seems abysmal.

troverman - if the pollution controls are not noticeable I'm fine with that, wasn't the case on my brothers Ram and Titan. That SRW can get better mileage is also encouraging I'll be going with the SRW.

Force74 - thanks 16.7 lifetime is acceptable to me.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Originally Posted by The Ace of Spades
So you told us about the Nissan that was bought back, but what about the Ram, what happened there?
Wow the RAM it was a POS. He custom ordered it and paid cash. My brother is (was) a RAM fan, his older RAM 3500 was a beast. He towed a heavy trailer to races up/down the west coast with it for years and very few issues. The thing would bake the rear tires on demand he was really happy with it and because it was before any pollution control crap he sold it for damn near what he paid for it.

But the recent RAM 3500 he didn't even make it off the dealer lot when the right headlight went out. It took at least 7 trips to the dealer for them to fix it, they would say its fixed come pick it up and he wouldn't make it off the lot or a few blocks and it would go out again. Next issue was a hand print buried inside the windshield. The dealer replaced the glass then Chrysler denied the warranty repair and the dealer had to eat the cost. That's Chrysler for you. The heated seats didn't work, maybe luke warm, they didn't heat up to RAM specs so that was a fiasco, they never did get them to work.

He really didn't have an issue with the engine other than it was a dead pedal gutless dog which only got worse after the dealer tried to fix it. I drove that truck, good grief my 1974 4 cylinder Ford Pinto had more get up and go. I had been drooling for a big diesel truck until I drove his and said if diesels are that gutless forget it. The 2017 F350 I test drove last week was a very nice surprise in that respect, power comparable to my 5.7 RAM 1500 which was quite peppy.

There was a list of other things wrong with the truck, some bare wire sticking out of a seat cushion they had to replace the cover. Some interior issues.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Q: Is the exhaust stainless:

Q: I saw a youtube video that claimed the Platinum multi-contour seats basically had a type of massage feature, that multiple air bladders fill and deflate to keep you comfortable on long drives, can anyone verify that?

Q: Again a youtube video claims the power deployable running boards are lower than the fixed running boards, can anyone verify that?

I just had spine surgery, hip replacement surgery is up next in a couple months so comfort is a key thing I'm looking at. I was quite happy with the Lariat seats in the one I test drove last week. Unlike previous Fords I have owned where the seats were hard and gave you a butt ache on longer drives the 2917 F350 Lariat appeared to use the same foam as my 2016 BMW X5 multi-contour seats, I thought they were at least as comfortable.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
ONLY good thing Dodge has going for it IS the Cummins engine IMO. They should give you 2-trucks 1-engine with every purchase! Lol- the engine will outlast the truck 2 to 1.

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty noob questions