Old mans 55 F350 build - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old mans 55 F350 build

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Elder User

Silver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud ofSilver54 has much to be proud of
Alright for starters I can confirm that they didnt replace the pickup tube as when I pull the tank out, after draining, I checked it out with the borescope. It literally was crumbling apart so I pulled it out with some pliers... can’t have it wrecking the nicely cleaned fuel tank. Any way went out and picked up a firewall fitting and a couple of adapters to make my own pick up tube.

Then I got out my unibit and bored a big hole and bolted it all up, I will be sealing this fitting with Aviation fuel tank sealer so there will be no issues with fumes getting out or water and junk getting in. Since I was no longer using the old pick up port I just blanked it off with a plug. I also lucked out because this new pickup doesn’t interfere with the fuel sending unit either. Hope that the new one shows up in the next couple of days. Would really like to test out the gauge.

The system was then pressure tested to ensure there was no leaks and when I confirmed that I wouldn’t have to be pulling it again, I loaded it up back under the truck. Bled the lines and primed the system, even ran the truck for a good 20 mins just to make sure there was no where that would be an issue.

Luckily I was able to use the existing fuel line I had made up and didn’t have to waste any line. Next project is going to be the electrical system and the front hubs, unless Dave wants that rear end sooner that I expect haha, I can always spend a afternoon and get that all switched around.

But now it’s time to get some sleep, you all have a great night and good luck on your own projects!
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver54 View Post
unless Dave wants that rear end sooner that I expect haha, I can always spend a afternoon and get that all switched around.
Ha! Ha! I'm good Jason Not unless I want to consider a Tandem axle! Now that would be cool Still interested as a extra back-up but please take your sweet time

Your fuel tank is looking good and glad it flows good for ya. With those open manifolds I'm sure your engine sounded tough! Make sure when you put your sending unit in you calibrate it for your specific tank. Instructions should be included. Keep plugging away!