1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Old mans 55 F350 build

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright for starters I can confirm that they didnt replace the pickup tube as when I pulled the tank out, after draining, I checked it out with the borescope. It literally was crumbling apart so I pulled it out with some pliers... can’t have it wrecking the nicely cleaned fuel tank. Any way went out and picked up a firewall fitting and a couple of adapters to make my own pick up tube.

Then I got out my unibit and bored a big hole and bolted it all up, I will be sealing this fitting with Aviation fuel tank sealer so there will be no issues with fumes getting out or water and junk getting in. Since I was no longer using the old pick up port I just blanked it off with a plug. I also lucked out because this new pickup doesn’t interfere with the fuel sending unit either. Hope that the new one shows up in the next couple of days. Would really like to test out the gauge.

The system was then pressure tested to ensure there was no leaks and when I confirmed that I wouldn’t have to be pulling it again, I loaded it up back under the truck. Bled the lines and primed the system, even ran the truck for a good 20 mins just to make sure there was no where that would be an issue.

Luckily I was able to use the existing fuel line I had made up and didn’t have to waste any line. Next project is going to be the electrical system and the front hubs, unless Dave wants that rear end sooner that I expect haha, I can always spend a afternoon and get that all switched around.

But now it’s time to get some sleep, you all have a great night and good luck on your own projects!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver54
unless Dave wants that rear end sooner that I expect haha, I can always spend a afternoon and get that all switched around.
Ha! Ha! I'm good Jason Not unless I want to consider a Tandem axle! Now that would be cool Still interested as a extra back-up but please take your sweet time

Your fuel tank is looking good and glad it flows good for ya. With those open manifolds I'm sure your engine sounded tough! Make sure when you put your sending unit in you calibrate it for your specific tank. Instructions should be included. Keep plugging away!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Alright moving forward I finally got around to finishing the other front cab corner.

Then it was time to start into the wiring, since we will be running both the 12 volt and the 6, I had to find spots where I could stash the two fuse boxes and the converter. So inside the side pillar they went. It would look a bit tacky to have bolts sticking though to the outside so I made mounting platforms and welded them on in.

And here is what it looks like with the units installed.

Maybe later tonight I will wire up the instrument clusters. But that is all I got done for today’s bit of fun.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:00 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Silver54
done for today’s bit of fun.
"FUN" Electrical is all but fun for me. I wish I understood it better. I'm sure by the time I'm done with my project, I'll be an expert Your cab corner and fuse box look great. Looks like you found a good spot for it.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
It isn’t so bad Dave, just need power, ground and don’t let the smoke out of the box... it’s impossible to put it all back inside. Hardest part is finding out how much draw each of these systems are going to require.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:52 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Alright so I have all the wiring done for the instrument systems, and the heater wiring finished. Is anyone using 12 volts with the old 6 volt heater blowers? It shouldn’t be an issue as it won’t take nearly the same amps as what the 6 volt system used. But just making sure that running it a bit isn’t going to damage something I have over looked. (We will only really be using it the odd time if the window is fogging up... otherwise it’s a summer time truck. Made sure to run the truck aswell to ensure that all the gauges worked, everything checked out great! Tomorrow I will do the wiring for the alternator and give the engine bay all new wires! Who would have thought that I would get excited to do wiring...

Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
It's been a while Jason! Any new updates?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Silver54
More Turbo
Well plenty of life changes and a couple of truck ones, got a seat for it now and whole bunch of parts! Used but still a lot of them. I will get a picture up later for that, as for the life update, getting married in a month, (she snuck that in on me, was suppose to be next year... but oh well ) and got a new job so I’m now home every night!

My motorcycle took up a lot of time on me though as I had to take the engine fully apart and change out the 5th gears in the transmission. They were chewed up completely and ready to grenade. But that’s done now and runs like a dream so now back to working on the trucks. Probably won’t have big progress done till the fall unless dad gets some done but he is still busy with the house next door.

Your truck is looking great though Dave!

Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, it has been a very long time since we posted anything. Life has got in the way but we have continued at a very slow pace.

New rear window

Windshield replaced

Box of goodies from mid-fifty and new vent windows

New side windows waiting to be installed.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:20 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Jason has been sidetracked by other projects including a couple below but has managed to get a little work done on the truck.

Seat replaced

Hubs redrilled

Child’s go kart

Setting up a work trailer

Old 04-23-2020, 01:28 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
Hey Rick. It has been awhile. Now you need to keep the momentum going! As a self proclaimed "SumDayDryvr", your "Day" must be coming up pretty soon. Wouldn't it be grand to pull into Bald Eagle State Park this October in your very own classic Fat Fender Ford!

Jim

Old 04-23-2020, 02:14 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Hey Rick. It has been awhile. Now you need to keep the momentum going! As a self proclaimed "SumDayDryvr", your "Day" must be coming up pretty soon. Wouldn't it be grand to pull into Bald Eagle State Park this October in your very own classic Fat Fender Ford!

Jim

That would be great. It would give me an idea what it was like to ride on a buckboard. Lol. Yourself and others have travelled much farther in their old trucks, maybe the wife and I could rig it up to sleep in the bed.

Not sure the parks will have reopened by then but we have not ruled out another trip to Pennsylvania.

Hope the snow has all melted up your way so you can get your truck out and enjoy it.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:41 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
The snow is just about gone. I'll be getting my truck out any day now, if I have any time. Being sequestered at home with my wife has been a unique experience. She has been taking advantage of the situation and working me pretty hard polishing furniture and scrubbing woodwork, floors, and windows. Her goal for this '"emergency" is to go through every drawer, closet, cabinet, cupboard, and storage tub; and in the process clean every square inch of our very substantial house. It's been brutal. If you see a new pic of my truck out and about someplace, you'll know I escaped.

I hope to see you again in October. I can't imagine that the parks would still be closed. If they are--maybe you can come to my house--It will be clean!

Jim

Old 04-23-2020, 07:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Jim, we are doing the same at the Stauffer house, cleaning out closets, cupboards and cubbies. We found a box of stuff in our vestibule closet that was put there on 1988 when we bought our house!

Rick, it will be great to see you and the Mrs. at the Central PA mountain Truckstock and Jason too. Put a canopy over your bed like Joe Harrier is doing or put a camper over the bed.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:12 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Rick and Jason,

Glad to see your still around and hopefully safe and healthy. I still need to tackle my side and wing windows. Hopefully sooner than later. Ha Ha. But like you life has a lot of obstacles. Did you ever come up with a plan for the rear end? I'm still interested in your Temkin if you swap it out. Thanks for the update!

Dave

Quick Reply: Old mans 55 F350 build