FiTech info, adjustment and problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:04 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Heliuguy you're gonna need a baffle around that pump as well, otherwise it will still cavitate with fuel slosh if you're below 1/3 tank or so.

Funny what you mentioned about grounds and battery. My little 2wd low rider is sitting in the shop due to about 16" of snow here. I've tried starting it when about 20* in the shop; it won't start and I get the white screen on the handheld. Doing some searching it looks like battery voltage is dropping below 9 or 10 volts during cranking and there isn't enough juice to run the FiTech.

I have an interstate cheapo blem battery that's a few years old, just doesn't have enough for the high compression even with a mini starter I guess. Thinking about an optima red top or other agm battery.

There is also a FiTech owners group on Facebook that I found

Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 AM
Heliguy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hivoltj
Heliuguy you're gonna need a baffle around that pump as well, otherwise it will still cavitate with fuel slosh if you're below 1/3 tank or so.

Funny what you mentioned about grounds and battery. My little 2wd low rider is sitting in the shop due to about 16" of snow here. I've tried starting it when about 20* in the shop; it won't start and I get the white screen on the handheld. Doing some searching it looks like battery voltage is dropping below 9 or 10 volts during cranking and there isn't enough juice to run the FiTech.

I have an interstate cheapo blem battery that's a few years old, just doesn't have enough for the high compression even with a mini starter I guess. Thinking about an optima red top or other agm battery.

There is also a FiTech owners group on Facebook that I found

Ya know, I didnt think about a baffle. I have to say though, I havent had any issues yet, works so much better than my external pump.

Im rebuilding my 77 long bed and Im thinking about how to do the tank in it. Im leaning towards using a tank / sending unit / pump from like a 90's f150 but cant find specs on the pumps. Do you think they move enough fuel for the FiTech?

As far as battery, I was having a similar issue and replaced it with interstates new Gel battery and haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Yeah I picked up an Optima red top. Still get the white screen below 20* but it starts now. Haven't driven Bruce in about a month, just started in the shop. Brutal cold and snow here currently. I'm super happy with the quietness and reliability of my TanksInc setup, I'd highly recommend it.

Thinking of going with FiTech or Holley Sniper on my wife's '70 f100. it has the in-cab tank so I was thinking on an external pump and some sort of 1 gallon fuel reservoir "buffer" that is baffled and mounts between the tank and pump. Heard many bad things about fitech's FCC setup

Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How has everyone's units been working?

Mine is working better, not quite 100%, but it is warmer now.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:49 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Lean tip in and starting in different conditions are my issues. Still way better than a carb but now that MSD has dropped the price on their atomic EFI that may be a better choice for the next build.

I have changed up some things though so I have to keep starting over with tuning.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:42 AM
James Wagoner
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh man, this is getting me excited to do EFI early instead of on my planned 460 build. Tons of videos going around on YouTube (good series from Nashville Early Bronco) but of course nothing with a 460 I will definitely be filming and documenting everything with install.

I first planned to use the fuel commander but then realize I could still have issues with the OE tank and pumps. Will ditch my dual tanks and swap the rear for the 39 gallon (hopefully not harder than it sounds) and install FiTech's intank pump. I have heard the inline pump and it's quite loud. Want timing controlled so will need to research distributors.

Keep the thread going, more info I can get the better off I will be.

Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 PM
dodmort
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been messing with 2 Fitech units on my 68 Bronco and 69 f-250 for the last year. The throttle bodies are good in my opinion. The FCC does not belong in a hot engine compartment like my 68 Bronco. Got the in tank pump for the EB and put the FCC in the f-250 which is a much bigger engine area and has more air flow in it even though its a big block. The hand held controllers seem to have trouble and one has crapped out and still waiting for Fitech to get back to me. I have learned that the big block needs a lot more air for cold starts that the EB with a small block. When in doubt with these units....return to factory settings and make adjustments from there. Only adjust one thing at a time also.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 PM
dodmort
Elder User
Fitech did replace my handheld controller no questions asked. Took them a while as they said they were out of stock. Both units up and running now and so far no other problems.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:57 PM
FORD~
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What fuel lines do you guys run? PTFE -6AN?

Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 AM
dodmort
Elder User
6an. My hi-pressure lines are braided built by the local speed shop.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:59 AM
FORD~
Senior User
Thanks.This has been a very informative thread. I’ve just ordered a Fitech with power adder. I plan on connecting this to a Tanks Inc. tank with a pwm-friendly internal pump setup + run new lines.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:01 PM
dodmort
Elder User
Which pump....?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM
FORD~
Senior User
I need to chat with the folks at Tanks Inc to be sure. I’d definitely like to run the PWM and I’m pretty sure that means no vane type fuel pumps. So the TI one, PA-6?

Old 03-19-2018, 03:08 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Does the FiTech have provisions for an automatic kick down

Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
dodmort
Elder User
From what i have read. Yes.

both my units are on standard trannies though.

Quick Reply: FiTech info, adjustment and problem thread