Seasoned Camper - Rookie Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:49 PM
samboni
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing in particular. I only mentioned the suspension since that seems to be the only difference between the 250 and 350 and also due to the loaded truck being over it's GVW. I'm not worried about the drivetrain since as far as I know it's the same as the 350.

I'm also not really thinking about how I use the truck at this time, more how we will be using it in a couple of years when we start making trips that will take us through more challenging routes such as the Rockies' etc.

As mentioned in this thread a few times.....it's more of an individual's peace of mind than anything else.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:35 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Samboni,

I honestly wish more people were as cautious and considerate as you. I bought my current truck from a couple who only used it to tow their fiver across the US and Canada. To me, that's an easy life for a 3/4 ton...mountains included. It was never loaded way past its max payload 24/7 and then bounced and twisted in farm fields or construction sites. And it was never beat behind a snow plow.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I would not worry about the suspension one bit.

I towed heavy for well over 60K on the SRW F250 in the pic I posted. Cross Country long tows....mountains.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM
CrimsonRide
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OW?

Originally Posted by samboni
Yes, your reading it correctly. The only after market items I have on the truck are the Timbrens and splash guards. It is a fully loaded Lariat with the FX4 package. I guess all that adds a lot of weight.

When I weighed empty I had 3/4 tank of fuel, the fifth wheel hitch and me.

When weighed for camping I was fully loaded with people (just my wife and me) and cargo in the truck (less than 50 lbs) with 3/4 tank of fuel and fully loaded trailer.

So yeah, the low available payload kind of surprised me too along with how the pin weight percentage climbed from 20% empty to over 23% after loading the trailer.

As pointed out by '65Ford, I'm 35% over my truck's GVWR and to be honest if it was 10% or less I wouldn't have posted this info.

All other numbers are good and my tires are also rated for more than the loaded weight.
A good rule of thumb that will show you right many times more than wrong: 5ever? 250, 2500,etc=probably OW. 5ever w/>2 axles and 3/4t vechicle=OW (100% likely)

Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonRide

A good rule of thumb that will show you right many times more than wrong: 5ever? 250, 2500,etc=probably OW. 5ever w/>2 axles and 3/4t vechicle=OW (100% likely)
Another good rule of thumb - look at the last post date before you post a reply to a thread. >2.5 years - thread is pretty dead...

Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 PM
CrimsonRide
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Never too late

Originally Posted by nuctrooper
Another good rule of thumb - look at the last post date before you post a reply to a thread. >2.5 years - thread is pretty dead...
aww shucks Friend, never too late for an observation.... we all do it, even you.... we both responded to a “dead” thread the very same day!!😎

Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 PM
Edd505
More Turbo
Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I know samboni already quoted this, but I share the same perspective. I have had the misfortune of dealing with some vehicular related insurance claims in my driving history and it is not a fun process. Maybe I am paranoid now, but anything that could be a "negative" in the eyes of the law or insurance doesn't sit at ease with me. That doesn't mean I won't do certain things, but it sucks out the "peace of mind" factor.

My truck's registration is in the 8-12,000lbs classification. F350 crew cab, long bed, single rear wheel, FX4, 6.7, 3.55 gears. The door sticker shows my GVWR at 11,500lbs. That means, if I go by my registration weight I have an extra 500lbs payload available. As it works out - my truck with me in it, mostly full fuel tank, and some miscellaneous stuff in the bed (tie straps, chain, a couple tools), plus fabric tonneu it is almost exactly 8500lbs. That means that, according to my door sticker, I have 3000lbs available payload. If I go off of the registration, and as the numbers work out, the rear axle rating also, I can go up to 3500lbs. What I could only imagine happening in an accident scenario is being over the Manufacturers GVWR, regardless of what my legal registration shows.

[edit - I believe the registration vs weight issue is more of a policing/regulations/taxation issue. For example, in some areas of the country safety inspections are required for vehicles over a certain weight class. If you are on the high end of the cut off you have to abide by those regulations - higher tax, annual or biannual inspections, etc. If you register the lower weight class you visually can get out of that "target zone", but the bare/dry weight of the truck itself may even be over that - if you get stopped and weighed you have two problems - being over your registration weight + wrong registration class. That has nothing to do with the manufacturers GVWR rating, rather your actual rolling weight. Your GVWR (of the truck and trailer), and combined GCWR would be more pertinent to insurance coverage. Though, both scenarios would play out in an accident because the police/hwy patrol/some form of law enforcement will be involved as well as insurance]

I agree with the point of these trucks having a lot of power and the "capability" to tow a lot more weight than they are rated for, but how does the vehicle react and perform in an emergency maneuver?

Some things to consider are:
- Brakes - Can you stop the load? Heavy trailers have to have brakes - but what if those fail?
- Stability - Can you hold the load and control it safely through maneuvers?
- Component strength - Can the axle(s), tires, frame, hitch, etc support the load you are trying to carry?

For the top two - brakes and stability - there are "upgrades" that one can do to make those variables safer (I know Scott speaks very highly of the airbags he had). However, you are not going to modify the door sticker that shows the manufacturers ratings. With such upgrades would I feel more comfortable towing heavy? Absolutely. Would I do upgrades like that? Most likely, yep. Would the insurance company agree that "upgrades" or a higher registration weight class make it OK to surpass the GVWR (or GCWR)? I am not sure I would have peace of mind making those changes and putting that in the bank hoping my insurance company would come through.

Then comes the question do you ask the insurance company the details beforehand and get answers in writing? Then you may open up a can of worms. Do you not say anything before hand and ask for forgiveness later if you have to make a claim? What are you comfortable with?

Yes.

My insurance claims weren't fun - I lost a nearly-new (had less than 10,000 miles on it) truck related to one. It wasn't in relation to weight, or towing anything, but I've been through that (with the short straw in-hand) process and the police reports. I can assure you - numbers are going to be scrutinized, though actual loaded weight going down the road would be hard to figure up after a pileup. Manufacturers ratings are easy to find.
Short answer yes. The difference between an F250 SRW an F350 SRW is the spring pack, same frame, brakes, engine, same rear end. 25 Years LE and the only towing ticket I ever issued was a guy using an 1:7/8" ball on a 2" coupler after the trailer cut loose.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:10 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have been driving a crewcab long box dually for over 30 years as a daily driver and my wife even drives it around town. You easily get used to the size and the extra security when towing is worth it in my opinion. In over 5 million miles over the road in a semi I have never seen an accident with a travel trailer or 5'r caused by a rear wheel blow out on a dually, but have lost count of the ones I have seen with a SRW.