Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HID or LED or Projector? Already 02-05 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 06:06 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
HID or LED or Projector? Already 02-05 conversion

After reading post after post, I haven't worked out a solution, so tapping into the knowledge base here

2002 Excursion with the 2005 front clip conversion. Had HIDs in the standard housings, converted back to halogens. Something wasn't "right" but think it was a cheap kit from PO. Also only had low beams, so that was a problem for inspection.

The HID worked well in the city with road markers, lines on the roads, etc, but these back roads absorb the light. If you've driven them, you know what I mean.

So in the course of what started out as a simple "seal the boost leaks" we have moved on to a MAJOR upgrade session. About $750 just in maintenance and sealing leaks, and now headlamps.

But...the wife is doing a lot of night driving now and we're no spring chickens and really NEED MORE LIGHT.

We considered LED light bar, but why not start with GOOD HEADLIGHTS first

I'm not opposed to HIDs, but don't want something that will interfere with the electronics. The old mountings were...poor, and the wiring was ugly- wires pulled out of HID harness and pins stuck into vehicle harness and then siliconed into place

Also seemed to lack the high intensity that HIDs should have. They were better than halogen, but not as I expected.

I'm okay with projectors, but now I see they come in halogen, HID, and LED

Upgrade harnesses to increase output of stock halogens aren't available from the popular vendor in the Excursion with auto headlights- won't benefit, auto adjusting something...I spoke with them on the phone a few months ago.

I'm okay cutting and DIY if necessary, but only if the instructions are clear. Would prefer ready-made, but not sure about the budget. They seem to be DOUBLE the price if you have someone else pre-make them.

I thought I found a pair here: Ford F150, F250, F350 And F450 CG 02-AZ-FC05-PCC-RF-A-HID 5 star reviews, projector, a bright chrome color, hid xenon bulb and ccfl halos

And adding the HID high beam to it, but read a review on here that the output of some lights from Xtralights.com were poor Link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14236056

I think projectors are the way to go, but which ones?

Do halogens have significant improvements in projectors? They only focus the light, so it seems they would be a marginal improvement?

I don't think LEDs have the intensity we are looking for? Used to be that way, maybe there is something better out there?

Angle eyes/CCFLs, etc aren't important but not objections. Would be cool, but not worth paying a lot more for, maybe $30 extra...

Budget? $300-$400 range. I don't want to put $650 into headlights, I need that cash under the hood and other places

Forgot to mention, I also have the conversion harness to allow the H-whatever lights to work with the factory harness. I had a thread a while back, have to look it up. I don't retain the bulb types or connector types, as it isn't my "thing." I use the info and that's it, it's gone

Right now I think I'm leaning towards HID projectors. But the prices are crazy high! Also don't think HID lows and standard halogen highs make sense for what we need. HIDs in both high and low, please

As always, I offer gratuitous pics in payment for your advice, LOL

Thanks!

Edit to add: I have an upgraded alternator to 140amps, so should be good for whatever

Old 09-30-2016, 08:24 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Here are the wiring adapters I am running. So I guess I am running 9008/H13

Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't ***** up another thread but if you look through my post history I've made several posts on my HID projector conversion. For driver satisfaction it's the best money I've spent on this truck bar none and I wish I'd have done it years ago.

There are a ton of 'how to's' online that I used with the help of a friend, there aren't many if any on our style trucks so you have to figure it out as you go. Took about a week to do the swap but could be finished in a weekend if you were trying hard.

You mentioned interference and I get some with the headlights on for AM radio - it's less than I get with my iPhone plugged into the charger in the cab.

Name:  15DB8767-9B28-4E46-8BFC-57FC1667CC82_zpszy2uqy9k.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  279.1 KB

Old 09-30-2016, 11:21 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Eaglestroker
I won't ***** up another thread but if you look through my post history I've made several posts on my HID projector conversion.
Looks very nice on your truck!

Without diving down all the threads and posts (that's why I started a thread, all the links diverge exponentially), can you pick the thread that you think is best if I want to retrofit with projectors and HIDs?

I don't mind reading, but I've already spent quite a few hours reading about all the info and options.

Thanks!

Edit: Think this is it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16264317
Edit 2: I should get the 9007 harness and remove my 9007 to H13 adapters, I guess... ?
...and out of stock at the moment

Old 09-30-2016, 04:08 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Everything about the marketing on xtralights page suggest they are crappy fashion lights being marketed to kids.

Their emphasis is on the tempeture or color and using the difference as a percentage brighter. It's total BS.

They don't address the light pattern or the vertical cutoff and I suspect it is because like most of these cheap, and yes those are cheap, lights the quality sucks.

Any legitimate performance light is going to address the pattern the lamp produces. The quality of their reflectors and the precision of the filliment placement.

Just based on their advertising I would avoid those lights.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Just based on their advertising I would avoid those lights.
Thanks for the straight talk

Old 09-30-2016, 04:38 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Thanks for the straight talk
10-4

Additionally if your vehicle is subject to PA safety inspection you will want to make sure you are compliant.
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dv...ons/PUB-45.pdf

The issues I see ( even though federal DOT states converting a halogen lamp to HID is illegal ) is PA inspection checks for

Color
Cut off
Brightness

Old 09-30-2016, 04:56 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
I've been running HIDs for 4 or 5 years now, very satisfied with increased light output but not happy with the pattern. Just not as tight as OE so aiming them to prevent blinding oncoming traffic is key. So are a few ferrite beads/RF chokes to prevent RF interfering with the DP F5 chip. Plays nicely with my auto headlamps, FWIW.

If I ever have a problem with the setup I'm going to build a good harness and get moderately more powerful OE style halogen bulbs, like 100/55W. I built a hi/lo harness for my bump side F250 and that made a world of difference. Good relays and heavy gauge wire straight (fused natcherly) from the battery made a big improvment. OE wiring on these SDs doesn't look any heavier than that old 75 so I'd expect a solid bump in power, and that's imperative to get the most out of a higher wattage lamp.

I bought a similar harness for the wife's Subie, rather disappointed with the wire gauge. Looked heavy but it was all insulation and only lasted 2 years. Hence my recommendation to build your own.

And I'd use whatever shape lamps fit your headlight buckets. You can get more or less wattage, but there's no substitute for correct shape to give you OE light placement.

A modern projector system might be better, no experience with those. Not worth the expense to me but YMMV.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Looks very nice on your truck!

Without diving down all the threads and posts (that's why I started a thread, all the links diverge exponentially), can you pick the thread that you think is best if I want to retrofit with projectors and HIDs?

I don't mind reading, but I've already spent quite a few hours reading about all the info and options.

Thanks!

Edit: Think this is it: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16264317
Edit 2: I should get the 9007 harness and remove my 9007 to H13 adapters, I guess... ?
...and out of stock at the moment
That's my most recent post about it with everything condensed into one post, I should have just copied it here again! You can run either your current plug conversion or the original 9007, as the only thing the harness triggers is the light relay for either ballast.

I'd wait until Black Friday to hope for a sale but would pay the higher cost vs staying with stock lights. I think you obviously realize this by the questions your asking but for others reading the biggest pro to an actual projector (not just an HID) is the light cut off line to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. I'm in Mississippi which has no state inspecting but drop in HID kits will get you ticketed.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM
cangim
Postmaster
After fighting with HID causing engine stall or die I found led replacements from xenondepot and have absolutely loved them. Even added them on my cruiser. Not as bright as hid but operation is great and are brighter than incandescent

H13 LED Headlight Kit | H13 LED Upgrade

Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cangim
After fighting with HID causing engine stall or die I found led replacements from xenondepot and have absolutely loved them. Even added them on my cruiser. Not as bright as hid but operation is great and are brighter than incandescent

H13 LED Headlight Kit | H13 LED Upgrade
Nice. How do they do with 2005 version "stock" buckets?

Any cutoff issues? Got some pics?

If LEDs had the brightness of HIDs for decent prices and wouldn't burst into flames or melt the headlamp buckets, they would be the final answer for me.

Is heat an issue? Do they have fans?

High to Low is one LED on vs two, or curtains, or

...and I get the HID electrical issues. They were a concern for me when I had the HIDs before, but some trouble with cheap boxes and low beam only.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2016, 08:07 PM
cangim
Postmaster
There is a small beam of stray light out the immediate edges, I only notice it when next to a semi trailer. As for heat, they are just ground strap type heat sinks. Haven't had any issues with heat. Now bugs, they still plaster the front.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Nice pics, thanks

Must use one LED or both LED for high/low?

Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 PM
cangim
Postmaster
There are 4 on it. Two per side, one set for low the other for high, at least on H13s anyway. The single element numbers only have two. I am happy with them in both the pickup and the bike. Similar to HID signs and road markers light up like crazy, wet roads absorb and don't offer much reflection

Old 10-06-2016, 08:27 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cangim
There are 4 on it. Two per side, one set for low the other for high, at least on H13s anyway. The single element numbers only have two. I am happy with them in both the pickup and the bike. Similar to HID signs and road markers light up like crazy, wet roads absorb and don't offer much reflection
Direct replacements, no HID boxes, no heavier wires, no drilling? Cool!

I have the 2005 buckets with H13 pigtails already

So 2 are on for lows, all 4 for highs, or a different 2?

Quick Reply: HID or LED or Projector? Already 02-05 conversion