6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 w/ DieselSite Filter DFCM whining/buzzing/whirring

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:59 PM
erik512
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 w/ DieselSite Filter DFCM whining/buzzing/whirring

Hi all;

Long story short, I've got a stock '15 F250 6.7 w/ the DieselSite FF67 fuel/water separator and a 50gal Titan Tank. I installed the filter + tank at the same time around 2 months ago; A few weeks ago, I started noticing an odd buzzing/whirring/gurgling noise (both while the truck was running, and while the fuel pump spins up right after turning the key on). I made a quick video of it this morning:

(Sorry for the poor quality, and my dog barking in the background).

I thought maybe it was a filter related problem (I got some little black plastic bits in the filter after installing the Titan Tank, despite my best efforts to clean it out thoroughly before installing) - so earlier this week, I replaced both stock fuel filters, and both filters in the DS filter. Didn't seem to affect the noise from the DFCM at all.

I guess my question is - does it sound like this is sucking in air? I've never found any leaking fuel (even after a 3000mi drive from TX to VA and back), and the truck has never complained about low fuel pressure as I've read that some others have run into. But I don't remember the DFCM/low pressure pump being this loud before I installed the new parts.

I spoke to the folks at DieselSite a day or two ago (those guys are great), and they mentioned that sometimes the Ford quick-release fittings work themselves a little loose from the fuel hose during the filter install, and that putting a hose-clamp around the hose+quick release fitting may solve this; I ordered from clamps from McMaster Carr that arrived today, so I may give that a try tomorrow just to see if it changes anything.

As always, thanks in advance for your feedback!

Cheers,
Erik

Old 09-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no clue as to what the sound is but I can say for sure I would be getting it figured out asap. That's not a sound I'd want to hear with a 10k+ fuel system.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:38 PM
erik512
Freshman User
Yeah I'm with you on that one. If I don't get this figured out soon I might try swapping it out w/ a nice Holly 4-barrel so I can save some cash.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:30 PM
erik512
Freshman User
For completeness, here's an update: I couldn't find any leaks so far, and it looks like I'll have to drop the Titan Tank to get to the quick-release connections on the DFCM to check them (can't quite get my hands up there with it in place); So I went ahead and ordered a new low-pressure fuel pump from dieselfiltersonline while I was at it - only around $220 delivered, so I figure once I get it all apart, if it turns out to be the pump, I can replace it then. If not, I'll put it in my toolbox for a spare in case I happen to run into trouble out on the road. I'll post an update once I do that in case anyone else runs into this.

Cheers,
-Erik

Old 10-06-2016, 09:53 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erik. I have the exact same set up as you. I get that same noise right after I change all my filters. I cycle the key 10-15 times (30 sec each) till it stops; before I first start it; right after a filter change; The noise does not come back till the next filter change.

It is the LPFP purging the air out of the system, and filling all the filters / bowls.

You have a air leak somewhere. (Note: a Air leak may NOT leak fuel)

I would YANK on all the fuel lines with the Quick Clip first. (None should come off) At Dieselsite, Under the hood filter, and top of the Titan tank. Then I would recheck the Green O ring (this can get twisted during install) on the lower bowl, and last rubber washers in / on the yellow **** for the water separator.

Tip:If you loosen the front and middle bracket on the Titan, and support the tank with a jack in front, you should be able to tilt it enough to get your hands on the two fittings.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 PM
erik512
Freshman User
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try exactly that - loosen the front two brackets on the Titan tank, and try to move it out of the way enough to get to those fittings. I've been driving the truck around to run the tank low so it's not full while I'm doing it. I've checked all the fittings I can get to, but I'm suspicious of the ones on top of the DieselSite and the ones on top of the tank itself (though if it were leaking there, I'd expect to see a bunch of bubbles in the DieselSite filter itself, which I don't, so my current guess is that it's between the DieselSite and the DFCM, or it's the pump itself..).

Thanks again! I'll post once I've got this figured out.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:47 AM
erik512
Freshman User
For anyone that may be following along.. I removed the DieselSite filter yesterday to rule that out (I managed to get enough room to disconnect it, without lowering the Titan Tank, by removing all 4 bolts from the DFCM and wiggling it around a bit.) So I reconnected everything as it was from the factory (except that there's a Titan Tank obviously), and I'm still getting the exact same problem.

Filters are new/good, I've double-checked all the quick-disconnect fittings and they are in good shape. At this point, I think my next step is to try replacing the DFCM/LPFP (just not looking forward to wrestling with that too!).

-Erik

Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Could be the O-ring in the DCFM... Those tend to get pinched or slip out of place.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:18 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Erik,

I am just seeing this. When I installed the titan, my outflow was not seated well at the tank. It made the same noise. It would not pull off, but with help of a phone camera in blind tough to get to area, I could see that the tab clip was not full seated either. Undid the clip and pulled off the line. It was a bear getting back k on so it's inner seal must have gotten jammed. Half on then off a couple quick times got it better situated (I guess) because it finally slipped on and in further than it was and the clip resealed fully. No more noise. I want to say that I took the photo from outside the rail, not from the inside, but I just can't remember.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by erik512
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try exactly that - loosen the front two brackets on the Titan tank, and try to move it out of the way enough to get to those fittings. I've been driving the truck around to run the tank low so it's not full while I'm doing it. I've checked all the fittings I can get to, but I'm suspicious of the ones on top of the DieselSite and the ones on top of the tank itself (though if it were leaking there, I'd expect to see a bunch of bubbles in the DieselSite filter itself, which I don't, so my current guess is that it's between the DieselSite and the DFCM, or it's the pump itself..).

Thanks again! I'll post once I've got this figured out.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:22 AM
erik512
Freshman User
JohnD333-

Sorry, I didn't notice your response earlier! This thought was in the back of my mind - when I installed it, I also had a heck of a time getting that fitting back on (the outflow line on the tank pickup), and when it finally seemed to 'click' on I called it done and went on with the next step. I'd been wondering if either it's NOT fully seated, or if I somehow dorked up the o-ring in it when I was fighting with it.

Were you able to re-seat yours without having to lower the tank again? I may have to give this a try today..

Thanks again!
Erik

Old 11-20-2016, 11:35 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Erik,

It has been too long to remember exactly, but I do remember that the tank was full, full, full, so the most I did was remove the forward bracket and loosen the rear ones a bit and tilt the tank downward. If I recall, the seeing and photo went on from the outside, but I had to reach and reset the clip blind from the inside. I have covered at least 15,000 miles since then with no problems.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Khena
Junior User
Erik, did you ever get this figured out?

I installed my dieselsite last weekend and I get occasional gurgling noises when I cycle my key. After start-up I see a few micro-bubbles but they clear up quickly.

Other than some gurgling noises, the other odd things I see are a large bubble forms right at the peak of the cone and stays stationary.

Also, the fuel level only appears to be just under half way up on the filters, has anyone else noticed this on theirs?

I have driven about 100 miles so far and have had no issues with the drivability of the truck.

I called a diesel site, and they said everything I described it sounds normal that there is only a real problem when you see what appears to be a carbonated beverage in the bowls. Just looking for some additional input.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Khena
Junior User
Here are some pictures of what I am trying to describe on the fuel level

Old 12-15-2016, 11:24 PM
erik512
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Khena
Erik, did you ever get this figured out?

I installed my dieselsite last weekend and I get occasional gurgling noises when I cycle my key. After start-up I see a few micro-bubbles but they clear up quickly.

Other than some gurgling noises, the other odd things I see are a large bubble forms right at the peak of the cone and stays stationary.

Also, the fuel level only appears to be just under half way up on the filters, has anyone else noticed this on theirs?

I have driven about 100 miles so far and have had no issues with the drivability of the truck.

I called a diesel site, and they said everything I described it sounds normal that there is only a real problem when you see what appears to be a carbonated beverage in the bowls. Just looking for some additional input.
Congrats on getting the new filter. I didn't figure out my problem yet - I removed the Dieselsite filter (which is a P A I N with the Titan Tank installed btw..) to see if that made the noise go away - it didn't instantly go away, but after a day or so it seemed to subside. It seems to return intermittently since then.

I haven't had any drivability problems either - no CELs/fuel pressure problems, etc. I was thinking about taking it to the dealer to have them check it out since I was tired of messing with it (and at this point am not sure if it's a problem or not), but I've been busy with work lately (which I don't use the truck for..), so haven't had much time to mess with it.

The pictures you took of the bowls on yours looks normal to me - and I also saw some tiny bubbles at startup, but not much more. If it's not making much noise, there aren't many bubbles, and no leaks or low fuel pressure warnings, I'd just keep an eye on it for the first 1000 miles or so.

Good luck,
Erik

Old 12-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Khena
Junior User
Thanks for the update...I don't have any whine, just a random gurgling. Is the gurgling normal? I can only hear it when I cycle the key, it's not loud enough to hear when the truck is running.

Anyone without a dieselsite separator have a gurgle on a key cycle?

i was thinking of pulling the quick connects and using a little oil on them and reassembling. Any one have any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 6.7 w/ DieselSite Filter DFCM whining/buzzing/whirring