1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Shocks? Aftermarket Frame Cross members

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Shocks? Aftermarket Frame Cross members

Hello,

I have two questions for those who may have chassis cab F350's. Replacement Shocks and Reducing frame twist/Increase rigidity.

I'm trying to find rear replacement Shocks for my 2015 F350 SuperCab, 4WD, Chassis Cab. I blew out the rear left OEM shock after only 4000 miles on the odometer! I wanted to improve the ride a bit if possible. I already installed a set of Supersprings to help keep the truck level because the utility body's load changes weekly. I have to say the supersprings SSA25 made a huge improvement in reducing sway besides helping keep the rear from sagging.

It's very difficult to find Shocks, that aren't OEM, because they are different size/length then the f350 Pickups rear Shocks.

Icon suspension said they could make me a set of Shocks if I needed them but I rather not put such a high end suspension component on my service truck.
My personal vehicle, 2007 4Runner Limited 4.6 V8, has a 3" Icon lift that has been going strong, and trouble free, for 6 years now.

I believe Fox may make a chassis cab shock by I believe they are very expensive.

I call bilstein and they said they didn't make anything for the truck....

Anyone have any suggestions? Monroe I think was the only aftermarket company that I believe has rear replacement Shocks. I'm not sure if it worth going Monroe, OEM, or another.

One last thing Ive been searching for is if their is any aftermarket options to stiffen up the frame and reduce my cabs flex that I can hear from all of the weather stripping twisting between the door and body when on uneven terrain. The flex also effects my custom utility body. I can see where the frame twisting actually slightly distorted a steel main body support running from rear wheel well too rear wheel. The channel is actually twisted upward slightly and isn't flush like when new. (I probably have a few too many tools and parts on the body which isn't helping. I can't imagine what the same utility body condition would be like if it didn't have custom body reinforcements and thicker steel I had spec. with knapheide engineers before fabrication.

I kinda wish Ford had similar type body/cab to frame mounts like GMC's hydraulic body mounts. It's seems like a good idea for isolating noise and giving the feeling of having a more plush ride on a Heavy duty truck. It's almost like a smaller take on Shocks used on Semi cabs.

Anyone have a 2015 or newer 6.7 chassis cab tuned? Tuned by DP tuner? Anyone have this new tuner EZ LYNK AutoAgent or Ford 6.7L and/or INFINITY-DX Touchscreen?

ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Nytefog; 09-29-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Is this a dually? Seems odd to me that they would be different then the non cab/chassis trucks. You confirmed this yourself? I don't know much about the cab/chassis but I do know that vehicle manufacturers like to keep things pretty standardized across the lineup wherever possible.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
At the least you should be able to measure them and cross reference.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:38 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if this is a viable option but could you buy new OEM cross members and install them where you want them?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
The chassis cab have completely different mounting locations and Shocks then the pickups. I've don't a lot of research. I talked to bilstein and they told me the measurement I need to get, as did Icon. I havent had a chance to measure a good shock, and really don't want to buy custom Shocks.

If you look at pickup Shocks it usually says (not for chassis cab).

Old 10-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When i was hunting trucks. I found you stay far far away from chassis cabs. They are detuned like 100hp. They use a different turbo and fuel pump. The frame is not as wide as a regular truck and is flat behind the cab for upfitters to install beds. Sure you could tune the truck to regain the hp but the common accepted consensus is that because of the turbo design on chassis cab trucks upping the hp with a tune just over speeds the turbo and causes failures. As for shocks id just go with monroe they make rancho shocks and are decent stuff

Old 10-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
Has anyone installed a wicked wheel 2 ford 2011-2015 Ford 6.7 chassis cabs? Sounds like it might add some pep to my f350 6.7 chassis cab.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:17 PM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
It seems to me that with a chassis cab truck it would be hard for Ford to install a shock for any application because Ford has no way to know what you will do with the truck. If I was you I would load the truck and go weigh it then go to a parts house or maybe a 4 wheel drive shop. Take the shock and weigh numbers to the shop and do some research to find a shock that would work for you.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:43 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A heavy commercial truck place would likely be better as most off road accessory shops just sell catalog items with little knowledge of anything like that. Least that has been my experiences with them.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Nytefog
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by The Bone
It seems to me that with a chassis cab truck it would be hard for Ford to install a shock for any application because Ford has no way to know what you will do with the truck. If I was you I would load the truck and go weigh it then go to a parts house or maybe a 4 wheel drive shop. Take the shock and weigh numbers to the shop and do some research to find a shock that would work for you.

THe chassis cab Shocks are spaced per the GVWR, in my case 11500lbs and possibly the GAWR. Also, the shock mounts are different to handle sustained heavy payloads...I assume that why I blew a shock out before the first 5000 miles.

You are correct about finding a heavy duty truck shop because I've had companies try to sell me Shocks for the pickup saying they were the same but that is false.

Chassis cabs are spec for the worst case senerio on how the truck could be used due to it being a incomplete vehicle with many different uses on the same platform. The only reason they have lower power output is due to emission laws for incomplete vehicles. Chassis cabs trucks have not always had different power output then the pickup.

I definitely know that tuning the chassis cab actually reduces high temp stress, reducing throttle lag. They don't ever tune them for crazy high HP/TQ output. I believe that 25, and 75hp tunes are the max they increase power. DP tuners are the only well known ford power stroke chassis cab tuning experts. Jody at DP tunes is setting up 3 custom tunes for my truck. I was surprised at all the minor changes that could be made to rid the truck of annoying Ford Querks.

I'm afraid I also have a DPF issue because my exhaust pipe all the way up to the tips have soot residue on the pipes walls which shouldn't happen. This dpf really chokes the engine and hope they can eengineer a better alternative.
Lower gas mileage and frequent regens cause increased fuel consumption l, and increase output of "global warming" gasses. I guess it's a trade off between particulates in the air or more CO2 being produced.