1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OBD II bluetooth for OBS truck and iOS devices

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
OBD II bluetooth for OBS truck and iOS devices

Quick question: Does anybody know of an OBD bluetooth adaptor for Apple devices that will connect to the OBS trucks?

I have Apple devices, wanted to try to replicate the setup written up here on the Torque app, only using the relatively well-reviewed OBD Fusion app for Apple devices. I have read through the Torque thread here in the Mod/Tech/FAQ section, but didn't see much about Apple devices other than didn't seem like anybody had a combo for the OBS trucks. Looks like there's quite a bit written about the Fusion App in the SD section, I will try to do some homework there. I see Rich (Tugly) recommends OBDLink MX, but it's pricey, and I haven't figured out yet whether it'll power up in an OBS truck.

For what it's worth, I got the Fusion App, and got a Veepeak bluetooth based on recommendations on the Fusion App website, but I cannot get the Veepeak device to power up in my OBS truck. Device appears to work in other vehicles. After some searching, finally found a thread in another PSD site stating this one is not compatible with our trucks.

I will try to do some reading on the SD threads as time permits, just wanted to post something up here in case anybody had a quick answer. Thanks. If I find one that works I'll report back here.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 AM
79jasper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The obdlink is about top of the line for adapters.
For Apple, you need wifi, not Bluetooth. http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/
Depending on your year of truck, there's no guarantee it'll work.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 AM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Okay thanks for the feedback. I will look into the OBDLink option, didn't investigate it much before just due to price and assumed something simpler would work. Also, I didn't really think about Bluetooth vs wifi here. I'm not well-versed on the pros and cons of each in this application, so need to do more research I guess. Thanks again for the response.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 AM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
As I understand it, Apple does not allow data to be transmitted via Bluetooth; that is why you must have a wifi adapter. As for apps, there is also OBDLink that I have seen used on SD trucks. I tried it on my '97 but could only get the tach and spedo to work. I did have a cheaper adapter which could have been the reason.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:54 PM
colin1966
Freshman User
I ordered this 1 as my devices are Apple also.
Cheap but will try it out.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Colin

Old 09-29-2016, 06:33 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Let us know how it works out. I too wish there were better options for Apple stuff

Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 PM
79jasper
Senior User
Another good one is the carista.
The other option is a cheap android tablet. Things are dime a dozen now days. Lol

Old 09-30-2016, 08:29 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
new tablets for 30 bucks

Old 09-30-2016, 05:49 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah I'm getting the impression it might just be simpler to do an affordable Android setup. But will take any additional suggestions, and will report back if I find a workable Apple combo.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 PM
Dr. Johnson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by kmjone00
Thanks for the feedback guys, yeah I'm getting the impression it might just be simpler to do an affordable Android setup. But will take any additional suggestions, and will report back if I find a workable Apple combo.
I have used the OBDlink mx wifi with my iPhone and it works BUT if you're gonna use something like Forscan which is going to give you many more options and testing abilities I've found that the iPhone cannot support stuff like the buzz test, etc. it will give accurate reads on most all systems but not as comprehensive as Windows. I used the same OBDlink mx with Forscan on my laptop (Windows) and was able to do a buzz test, IPR DC, ICP monitoring etc. the unit works, it just depends on what platform your have on the other end as to what you can do with it.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:49 PM
John11.25
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anyone have any updated reviews on a Bluetooth scanner adapter for an Apple device? I was thinking about the Carista adapter and using the OBD Fusion app with my iPad. Has anyone used either of these lately?
My vehicle is a 1996 F-250 PSD.

Thanks,

Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
I did try a wifi OBD adapter a while ago I don't think it worked in my truck. I use it primarily for another vehilce. Will check the brand and report back so at least you will know what doesn't work. There is the relatively expensive OBDLink option, and have seen good reviews of it on the SD forum. I assume it would work in our trucks, but I didn't go that route. I ended up running across a free Android tablet so got one of the bluetooth OBD adapters and downloaded the Torque app on the tablet. The bluetooth device works fine in my truck, so will post that brand too, just need to double check which one I got. My understanding is that Apple devices will need a wifi OBD reader whereas the Android devices will need bluetooth. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, or clarify why the different communication requirements. I assume it is security related.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 PM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Just adding the OBD reader types I tried as mentioned before...

The bluetooth OBD reader I got was the BAFX unit. It works fine in my truck and is detected by an Android tablet, no issues. I ended up getting an Android tablet for free, but it is not a high-quality unit so the performance is a little disappointing. Nothing wrong with the Torque app, just not a great tablet.

The wifi OBD reader I got was from Veepeak. It did not work in my truck. In fairness to this device, when I tried it I did not realize I had a blown fuse in the circuit that sends power through the OBD port (I believe same as the cigarette lighter in the ash tray). So I need to try it again at some point. The Veepeak unit works great in our Honda Odyssey and sends data into the OBD Fusion app on our IOS devices. Just did not work in my truck when I tried it. Will have to try again since fixing the fuse (that was a long time ago). If I get a chance to test it will reply back on this thread. Loaned it to a friend so don't have it to try at the moment.

Honestly, even though have the setup now to run the Torque app, I haven't messed with it much. I have an Aeroforce scan gauge, which does most of what I would want to do with the Torque app anyway. I love my AF gauge and use it all the time.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:58 PM
John11.25
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I got the Carista BLE adapter and OBD fusion app for my 96 PSD. The adapter would not connect to the app. I don’t know if this means my truck is not OBD compliant or the adapter is wrong. Does the dealership charge a fee to check for OBD compliance and flash if necessary?
The adapter only partially worked on my 2003 F-150 so I’m sending the adapter back to Amazon. I don’t have Android so not sure where to go from here.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:07 AM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Glenn, I would double check the fuse that powers the cigarette lighter and OBD port first before going to a dealership. It's fuse position 16 on my truck, 15-amp fuse. Sorry, no idea what it would cost at a dealership to get this done.

I stand corrected on the wireless OBD adapter I have. The VeePeak device actually does work in my truck. Tried it last night to confirm. Last time I tried to use it in my truck was a long time ago and before I realized this fuse was blown on my truck. So if you've already returned the Carista adapter, this one might be worth trying. I've had good luck with it in other vehicles.

That said, I have have found where you can download the Ford-specific parameters for these trucks onto the OBD fusion app. It may be an option somewhere, but I have not found it. It was pretty straightforward on the Torque app after hunting through a few screens and reviewing the writeup here. But I did not see an option for this on the fusion app. To my knowledge you have to have a set of Ford-specific parameters to interpret data for our trucks. For example, I can pickup RPM on OBD Fusion from my truck because that is a standard parameter for all vehicles. But almost no other vehicle besides a PSD is going to have something like injection control pressure.

Quick Reply: OBD II bluetooth for OBS truck and iOS devices