1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just don't use a power washer.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an interesting day with Rusty on Friday. I had to stop at a site where we are doing a foundation design on the way home. One the way to the site I took back roads and took some pictures.

My 3 year old son things rust is cool because of this thing.

Made it to the site fine (below). When I was done and went to start it, it cranked once and made a fizzle sound. Crap! The battery cable from the positive post to the solenoid broke apart at the solenoid. The only useful tools I had with me that day was a pliers and a crescent wrench. I ended up "fixing" it by stealing the extra ground I added from the starter to the frame and bolting it directly to the broken cable's post clamp and then to the solenoid. It worked! I drove directly to my folk's house where I had some extra battery cables and fixed it correctly.

The hood was already starting to cut the insulation by the time I got to the shop.

But she's running again and I took it to work again today.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Cool! I agree with your son. And, good job on the patchwork.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
It looks like your truck was truly in its element!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
I'm having a second thoughts now on what to do. Rusty doesn't appear to be as worn out as I first thought. I've driven it over 650 miles in the last 30 days. Today is the last day of the run.

After fixing the battery cable and grounding issue for free, it's started every time with little or no trouble. After replacing $10 of brake line, the brakes don't leak.

Last night I monkeyed with the broken hub **** and got it locked in and tested the 4wd. It works.

The engine smoking has stopped or at least decreased a bunch. Maybe it had stuck rings?

Punchline: I want opinions please
I cannot have 3 pickups. Do I cannibalize a working pickup to help one that needs work? Do I sell the older better looking pickup and keep Rusty?

In an attempt to quantify my options I made this spreadsheet. Keep in mind that if I parted out Rusty the rear end would go to Kermit and the tires would get saved.

Some background on Kermit:
It sat for 20 years in a dirt floor machine shed before I got it. The cab floor is junk and the underside of body panels are starting to rust. It now sits outside because I have no garage space for it.

The body does have a few dents and dings but it pretty darn good for the age. The end gate is goofed up and the old boy who had it before me "fixed" the tail light lenses by cutting them in half and putting them on upside down. I don't know why.

I put a 300 six in it. No idea how many miles are on it. The engine is a '90 so it doesn't have the mechanical fuel pump hole so I got an electric pump. I can't get the lines around the pump to seal and I think the line gets air in it when it is not run for more than maybe 6 hours. I think this is the reason the pickup sometimes stalls without warning but I have never been able to completely correct the problem. The carburetor was installed on the engine prior to my having it so I figure this must be the 3rd pickup it's been in.

The rear end has a bad seal and growls.

The idle quality of Kermit's engine isn't that much better than Rusty's.

I will never restore this pickup. If someone will, the sooner the better.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old 10-25-2016, 10:58 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
I washed Rusty over the weekend. It looks better without all those years of grime. While I was scrubbing, I saw this milky looking color washing over the bottom dark brown color. I realized I was literally washing the paint off!

My little people excited to ride in Rusty! We drove to my aunt and uncle's house to watch football. This are the same relatives that owned Rusty after my dad and gave it its name.

I had to leave it were they always did. When I arrived and shut it off, my uncle came out of the garage and said, "I thought I heard an old friend." It made me smile.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-25-2016, 11:14 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, you've really analyzed this! But it's still a sort of apples-to-oranges comparison. Even setting aside the differences in the truck generation and spousal approval, ask yourself this - if you had NO truck, and were looking for one, would you be looking more for a 2WD gasser or a 4x4 diesel? Those, IMHO, are two different objectives. For my money, I'd always choose to keep the 4x4 diesel given that choice. But YMMV, depending on your situation.

The generation factor is not one to ignore either. If you intend to keep this truck "forever", I suspect you'll be able to find parts for Rusty more readily, and for a longer time in the future, than for Kermit.

Then there's the restore factor - Kermit's a rarer truck just on account of its age, and if it's restoreable, maybe it should go to someone willing to do it.

Sounds like Rusty has more family/sentimental "capital" as well. Whenever the "wife approval" variable comes up, you can always show her pic #5 in post #36.

Oh - NRA sticker in the back window - Rusty FTW. (Not that I'm a major supporter, but it's a theft deterrent....)

Is my diesel bias showing?.....

Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
You've answered your own question - two ways. First, economically it looks like Rusty is the best bet. Second, emotionally Rusty is part of the family. I say keep him and sell Kermit. The earlier trucks are worth more money anyway, which will give you more to put into Rusty.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:29 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by madpogue
Wow, you've really analyzed this! But it's still a sort of apples-to-oranges comparison. Even setting aside the differences in the truck generation and spousal approval, ask yourself this - if you had NO truck, and were looking for one, would you be looking more for a 2WD gasser or a 4x4 diesel? Those, IMHO, are two different objectives. For my money, I'd always choose to keep the 4x4 diesel given that choice. But YMMV, depending on your situation.

The generation factor is not one to ignore either. If you intend to keep this truck "forever", I suspect you'll be able to find parts for Rusty more readily, and for a longer time in the future, than for Kermit.

Then there's the restore factor - Kermit's a rarer truck just on account of its age, and if it's restoreable, maybe it should go to someone willing to do it.

Sounds like Rusty has more family/sentimental "capital" as well. Whenever the "wife approval" variable comes up, you can always show her pic #5 in post #36.

Oh - NRA sticker in the back window - Rusty FTW. (Not that I'm a major supporter, but it's a theft deterrent....)

Is my diesel bias showing?.....
If it was a diesel, I wouldn't even have to ask the question! They are both 300 six gassers. The only diesel I own is my car.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:09 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
If it was a diesel, I wouldn't even have to ask the question! They are both 300 six gassers. The only diesel I own is my car.
Oops, Idunno where I got the notion Rusty was an IDI . Well, IMHO Rusty still wins, being a 4x4.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:44 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I would sell both of them and buy another truck that isn't rusty.

If you don't want to do that, I would keep Rusty. he sounds like a better and more reliable truck.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:25 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Butter yer ole lady up and shmooze her into lettin you have both. So for now just find which one is better to sleep in for a few nights.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
Butter yer ole lady up and shmooze her into lettin you have both. So for now just find which one is better to sleep in for a few nights.
Ha ha!

Old 11-11-2016, 12:42 PM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Well, I apologize to all you guys waiting for pieces of Rusty, but your going to have to wait longer. Rusty's final tour has been extended indefinitely.

I sold Kermit last night. The engine oil pressure was getting weak (I made sure the buyer noticed) so I think I made the right decision. He is also taking the original v8 and automatic for it. Good thing I saved them.

My poor little 3 year old boy was putting on his best tough guy face but still had some tears get out. He had to come out and give Kermit a hug and a kiss before it was taken away. Later in the evening he told my wife that he "Always loved Kermit." Poor guy. I had to keep reminding him of all the other good things we have and we have each other.

Happy trails old pal.

Should have Rusty licensed by the end of next week.
Better order a carb kit...

Old 11-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Congrat's. I think that's a good decision.

Quick Reply: Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift