1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This thing's front brakes drink almost as much brake fluid as the engine drinks gas!
I've lost a bottle and a half of brake fluid through the fronts in about 200 miles. Pretty sketchy.

I also learned that either the headlight switch or dimmer switch is questionable. One night last week the low beams weren't working and suddenly they did again after playing with switches.

I tore the headliner out because I didn't like it sagging on my head and the old staple job wasn't working anymore. That roof sheet steel is so pretty and NOT rusty!

Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Be VERY careful about those brakes. Even an ounce of brake fluid loss can turn into a complete failure at the wrong time (not that there's really a "right" time for brake failure).

Both the headlight switch and floor beam switch are common failure points on these trucks. Headlight switch carries the full current of the headlights and is under-engineered for it. The "faincy" fix is a relay harness, that offloads the main current load so the switch only carries the load to fire the relays. The floor beam switch is in a perfect place to get rusty/nasty.

That's an awesome shot of it parked in town, next to the ugly new drab silver Chebby and Yota. Show 'em what a _truck_ looks like....

And +100000 ^^^^^ re. the exhaust fumes. It's the part you can't smell (the carbon monoxide) that can kill you. Run a straight pipe all the way back for the time being.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Be VERY careful about those brakes. Even an ounce of brake fluid loss can turn into a complete failure at the wrong time (not that there's really a "right" time for brake failure).

Both the headlight switch and floor beam switch are common failure points on these trucks. Headlight switch carries the full current of the headlights and is under-engineered for it. The "faincy" fix is a relay harness, that offloads the main current load so the switch only carries the load to fire the relays. The floor beam switch is in a perfect place to get rusty/nasty.

That's an awesome shot of it parked in town, next to the ugly new drab silver Chebby and Yota. Show 'em what a _truck_ looks like....

And +100000 ^^^^^ re. the exhaust fumes. It's the part you can't smell (the carbon monoxide) that can kill you. Run a straight pipe all the way back for the time being.
Amen!

Old 10-10-2016, 10:25 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you ever repaint your truck, make sure to save those Explorer stripes, those things are so COOL she seems in very good shape for 'an old farm truck', good luck and great story!

Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
I think those explorer stripes are sharp too. This was a pretty pickup back in its day. I may make a clone someday.

I drove it to work yesterday before I made my comment about the brakes. Later I went out to see if it had any obvious leak. There was brake fluid literally dripping out of the line near the right rear wheel. I pinched the line with a hammer to try to slow the leaking and took gravel roads to my parent's place and switched back to my old skunk for the rest of the trip to my house. I learned that Rusty pickup is easy to downshift without the clutch (who knows when that will go away too!). I only had to use the brakes about 4 times in the 15 mile trip.

The line that is total junk is only about 20" long so I may find a replacement. We'll see.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well a rear brake leak/failure is a LOT less risky than a front, at least.

Just noticed, for as rough as the seat, door panels, dash top, etc. are, the fake woodgrain bits look surprisingly fresh. My '85 has the "burl" wood over dark red, and by now, it looks like barfed-up beet soup. Weird how the decades ravage some things, spare others.....

Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Just noticed, for as rough as the seat, door panels, dash top, etc. are, the fake woodgrain bits look surprisingly fresh. My '85 has the "burl" wood over dark red, and by now, it looks like barfed-up beet soup. Weird how the decades ravage some things, spare others.....
I noticed that as well, the woodgrain trim on both my trucks has been fairly well-preserved

Old 10-12-2016, 10:23 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
It's also interesting to look for wear marks from the human touch. For instance, rubbed off paint at the base of the window on the inside and outside of the door.

I was talking to one of my uncles about that type of thing. He collects Allis-Chalmers tractors and always looks for wear marks. One of the tractors had a funny wear pattern on top of the fender. He figured out that it was from the guy's hand rubbing it when he turned in the seat to look behind him. He said he loves finding those bits of character and tries to retain them in any restoration since they are such a human part of their existence.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:31 PM
DeereFord300
Elder User
I know what ya mean, my truck has what looks like burn marks on the bezel by the HVAC switches and ash stuck all over the shift boots from the po, an avid smoker and the smell

Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 PM
gbakman
Junior User
If you are going to strip it down and sale parts. I really would like to get some from you. Please let me know and I will let you know what I need. That truck has a lot of rust on it. Too bad it would be a major restore to get it back to a safe state. Thanks

Old 10-13-2016, 01:33 PM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
When the time comes I'll post it in the parts for sale forum on this site. Thanks.

I decided to spend $13 for another 11 days of use. I'll put the new brake line in this evening.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
I put the brake line on last night. While I was under there I noticed the muffler looked wrong. The tail pipe rusted off completely and is still hanging there.

I also used it for appliance delivery last night. What a work horse!

Old 10-14-2016, 11:14 AM
grasfarmr73
Fleet Mechanic
Nice view out the office window today.

Last night I told my wife I was going to wash Rusty soon and she got upset with me for wasting my time. Owning this tired heap has been interesting.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:37 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by grasfarmr73
Nice view out the office window today.

Last night I told my wife I was going to wash Rusty soon and she got upset with me for wasting my time. Owning this tired heap has been interesting.

Freedom awaits you!

Sometimes, the rust is what holds everything together!

Quick Reply: Never been so happy to have such a worn out gift