Notices

Long bed or short bed?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:38 PM
pnorris75022
New User
pnorris75022 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Long bed or short bed?

Which do you prefer to tow your 5th wheel with?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:41 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Long bed is all I've ever used.

Denny

Old 09-26-2016, 09:21 PM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Long bed. More fuel capacity and to me it rides better. More clearance from cab, extra storage in bed. Downside is larger turning radius.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:33 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Always been a long bed man myself.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Long bed, DRW, more stable towing platform!
Downside......parking when not towing!

Old 09-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Posting Guru
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
Long bed. No contest.

I've only ever owned 2 short bed trucks in my life. Regretted it both times. I can never remember, ever, at any time wishing one of my long bed trucks was a short bed. But there were many, many times I was struggling to make a short bed work for hauling something that would have been a snap in a long bed.

Plus long beds are better for hitch selection, bed/cab/5th wheel clearance, longer wheel base is more stable for towing, and you basically get an extra 2 feet of "free" truck. Gas mileage will be the same either way, may as well get that extra 2 feet of bed.

I'll never own another short bed truck.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:17 AM
BigStu59
Senior User
BigStu59 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Long Bed. Towing a 5th wheel and adding a aux fuel tank in the bed is a plus. When I retire I plan on using the truck for long distance towing and the extra fuel is a big deal.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I'll say long bed only because I find the short bed really difficult to sleep in. When I do quick camping trips I sleep in the bed. I have to sleep diagonally to fit.

My f-350 on order is a long bed. I'll be doing conventional towing but hope to one day get a fifth wheel.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I tow with a short bed, because of that, I have a auto-slider hitch, and smaller fuel tank. Other than those two items, the short bed is fine, and even those two items are not a big deal. having to stop every few hours to refuel is about all my bladder/wife/dog can handle anyway without a break. I would go with a long bed if it were to fit in my garage.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:20 AM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
A long bed truck is the preferred truck while towing. A dually long bed is even better. Although, a short bed will get the job done as long as you make the proper adjustments.

I have a short bed F250 that will be towing a Montana High Country with a max turn front cap. I have the Andersen hitch, which moves the kingpin back even a few more inches just to be sure I have clearance.

As for fuel, yes there is clearly more space to carry fuel in a long bed truck. Although, with the 32 gallons of fuel in the OEM tank and 45 gallons in the "under the rail ATTA 45RBR" tank I have, I have 75 gallons of fuel to mess around with. We towed our 10K lbs travel trailer (did not have the 5th wheel yet) from GA to Seattle and back last summer. The fuel tanks made the journey so much easier. We stopped when and where we wanted to instead of when and where we had to.

I bought a short bed truck because when we go full time, the trailer will be attached the to truck less than half the time while driving around exploring or running errands. I had a long bed truck in the past and did not want to deal with that again.

To each their own really, but only you can know what is best for your money and family.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:33 PM
89LX306
Posting Guru
89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.
Probably depends on where you live/work. I live and work in the Houston area and I have had a few occasions that I wish I had stuck with a short bed like my '02 was. That truck had a Pullrite Superglide and an RDS 60 gallon fuel tank/toolbox combo. It worked well pulling the 5th wheel and in town. The '12 long bed doesn't feel any different to me, but my wife doesn't like to drive it now...not that that is a bad thing. I was actually just in a really tight parking lot this past weekend that was even tight backing our regular length Expedition into. Glad I wasn't in the truck that day. The reality is you have to think about where you park with either truck. I always plan my exit.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Deez-67
Senior User
Deez-67 has a good reputation on FTE.Deez-67 has a good reputation on FTE.
We just traded in our 2014 F250 KR short bed or a new 2017 F350 KR dually long bed. We found once you use the goose there is no more bed.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:00 PM
mbutts
Freshman User
mbutts is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went with a long bed mainly to get the larger OEM fuel tank. Something to consider if you are getting a crew cab: with the long bed, the vehicle ends up being almost 23' long so you won't be parking in a standard parking space anymore.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:00 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I have a long bed dually. Great for towing on the highway, but a pain in butt when not towing. Parking and even driving in some cities with heavy traffic traffic can be stressful.

Steve

Old 09-28-2016, 02:29 PM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
KellyfromVA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Contrary to what you may have heard outside this group, size matters. Go long bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long bed or short bed?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.