Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Gasser or Diesel for Double Towing 5th wheel & single axle boat

Notices

Gasser or Diesel for Double Towing 5th wheel & single axle boat

Old 10-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Able Dog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Able Dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just remember, you won't be able to see what that boat trailer is doing until it's too late.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
One thing to consider. Is the difference in torque difference between gas and diesel. Also someday you might want to venture out and need to go thru mountains with a 6 mile pull at 7% grade. The gas would not do well.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:10 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Able Dog View Post
Just remember, you won't be able to see what that boat trailer is doing until it's too late.

But you CAN install a remote camera on the back of the trailer to see it.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:10 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
What kind of total weights are we talking here guys? A very short 5th wheel and 3200lb boat/trailer........? And all this doom and gloom that a modern gasser wont be able to pull it up long 7% grades and the need to "worry about that very steep back road when you can't get a running start", really? Do you guys really think that a modern gas F-250/350 will be unable to pull what, 10/11k (maybe less....?) combined lbs successfully? The OP is in TX and is talking about weekend trips and school holidays to the lakes. Yeah, I get it, the PSDs are more powerful and do tow better but we aren't talking maximum extremes here are we? I tow a 41' 11k lb TT 3 to 6k miles a year with my old ('05) 2V V-10 4R100 EXcursion all over the Eastern states, I'm sure that a new 6.2 with the current transmission and proper towing gears will handle his planned similar load equally as well as my rig if not better (probably better ). I can maintain highway speeds on nearly all Interstate Highway grades East of the Mississippi, (Fancy Gap in VA dropped it down to 2nd and I let some speed bleed off while dealing with traffic), and it's made it to the top of every steep climb in the mountains that we have come across without issue.
Like the OP, I know gassers better than I do diesels, so I stayed within my comfort zone when I purchased my rig. I have done a few mods to help it be a better tow vehicle, but some of that was EX based, like swapping out the Soccer Mom EX springs for F-250/350 springs. My 4.88 gear change just brings the effective ratio (with the 35.28" tires vs the 31.5" stockers) up to the factory option of 4.30 (but it's also penalized by the bigger tires and 4" lift). Performance wise, it only has headers, a performance muffler and 5Star tunes. Unloaded on the highway it gets 12.5 MPG and towing the big TT we see 8 to 9.4 MPG on our mostly highway trips, short local camping trips on back roads nets us 7 to 8 MPG. Our EX no longer sees daily driving miles, it now serves as our dedicated tow rig.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:01 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
I agree. Some times things get painted with "too broad a brush". Specifics are important when making decisions.

Steve

Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 AM
02F250V10
Senior User
02F250V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 v10. Camper weighs about 9k, boat is another 2.5-3k. I've put a few thousand miles on this setup. Does fine on power. 7-8 mpg towing. I tow at around 60-65 mph and it holds speed just fine. A newer gasser with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans would pull even better than mine does. If you want a diesel then by all means buy the diesel but don't believe these guys that say you need one to tow a small fifth wheel and small boat.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I think a new-ish gas truck will be fine, but you will be more comfortable with a diesel. Although, you being more comfortable while pulling does not mean your bank account or your knowledge on the engine will be.

I get 18.5 MPG unloaded and 12 MPG loaded with our 5th wheel trailer. You will not see anywhere near that, but if you are not doing much pulling or concerned much about it, get what you gut tells you to. In my short 40 years of life I have found that the "gut feeling" is almost always right despite what everyone else around you thinks.

You have to do what is right for you, your family and your situation. A diesel truck (7.3 because we cannot afford a 6.7) was the right choice for us as a family and we have not looked back since.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Jace2016 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jace2016 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
[QUOTE=Sous;16657019]I think a new-ish gas truck will be fine, but you will be more comfortable with a diesel. Although, you being more comfortable while pulling does not mean your bank account or your knowledge on the engine will be.

I get 18.5 MPG unloaded and 12 MPG loaded with our 5th wheel trailer. You will not see anywhere near that, but if you are not doing much pulling or concerned much about it, get what you gut tells you to. In my short 40 years of life I have found that the "gut feeling" is almost always right despite what everyone else around you thinks.

You have to do what is right for you, your family and your situation. A diesel truck (7.3 because we cannot afford a 6.7) was the right choice for us as a family and we have not looked back since.

Great looking rig! That 7.3 will keep you happy for years. Just sold my 02 7.3 after ordering a new truck that should be here in a few more weeks. I regret it already. These new trucks ARE nice but are they 80 grand better than my old truck? NO freakin way! The ONLY issue with the 7.3 is the automatic behind it. It's essentially a 3-speed. After having my 7.3 for 15 years & putting over 150k miles towing with it I can tell you it's as reliable if not more so than any engine out there. Wish you the best with it!

Old 10-21-2016, 12:57 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Jace2016 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jace2016 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 02F250V10 View Post
2002 v10. Camper weighs about 9k, boat is another 2.5-3k. I've put a few thousand miles on this setup. Does fine on power. 7-8 mpg towing. I tow at around 60-65 mph and it holds speed just fine. A newer gasser with the 6.2 and 6 speed trans would pull even better than mine does. If you want a diesel then by all means buy the diesel but don't believe these guys that say you need one to tow a small fifth wheel and small boat.

Awesome! Great pics, nice Superduty, nice trailer, boat, AND let's not forget the Harley! Love seeing doubles on the road, then I don't feel so outta place with mine!

Old 10-25-2016, 04:12 PM
Super Duty DJ
Senior User
Super Duty DJ is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi View Post
One thing to consider. Is the difference in torque difference between gas and diesel. Also someday you might want to venture out and need to go thru mountains with a 6 mile pull at 7% grade. The gas would not do well.
Interesting that you would make note of the long mountain pull with a gas engine rather than a diesel. A couple of months ago I pulled my ~8k fifth wheel up over the Eisenhower Tunnel Pass (AKA the Ike Gauntlet) with my 2015 CCSB F-250 4x4 with the 6.2 and 4.30 gears. The truck stayed in 2nd gear pretty much the whole climb, but held between 50 and 55 mph without trouble. It's not as quiet as the same pull would be with a diesel, but the gasser definitely gets the job done.