Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

1996 F250 7.3 5-Speed, Low Power, OBDII data Android

Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 09-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Gene4321
New User
Gene4321 is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am in need of help diagnosing the cause of low power. I "think" it is the turbo since I have not heard it spool up in years, however I am looking for a more informed diagnosis and solution. I would like to keep things stock or similar to stock, and am open to additional diagnosis tools. Please note I am new to working on diesels.

I have attached the BAFX OBDII Torque Pro Android app data outputs ie 2 GoogleEarth files, 1 CSV file, and 1 Excel file. They contain (4) 0-60 mph events (column "M" as follows:

1) 29 second going through the 5-speed entering on to the interstate
2) 17 second stopped on the interstate going through the gears much harder
3) 24 second stopped on the interstate and primarily in gears 4th and 5th hard
4) 44 second stopped on the interstate and primarily 5th gear

Please note the axle is a 4.10 gear ratio. Many thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...XowUXRRZnI1NVU

Old 09-19-2016, 01:22 AM
jacob_powerhouse
Senior User
jacob_powerhouse is starting off with a positive reputation.

it looks like you may have a stock down pipe, they restrict exhaust flow, highly recommend a 3" down pipe. consider checking your exhaust back pressure valve a.k.a. EBPV. they tend to stick if the truck sites a long time and can corrode. you could use a pair of vice grips to force the valve open. start there. how long has the truck sat? daily driver?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:30 PM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Where is your oil fill cap? How is the air filter doing?

Old 09-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Posting Guru
Jarrett Campbell is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like the top of the oil cap broke off. My parts truck did the same thing

Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Does your exhaust sound like a jet on take of? If so might be what Jacob said EBPV.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Gene4321
New User
The EBPV valve looks/feels as if it is stuck in the open position. The exhaust sound has never sounded like a jet on take off. Yes, the truck has set for months between use. Yes, the oil filler is missing the top, but still functions.

That said, I am still looking for guidance on how best to proceed. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 PM
jacob_powerhouse
Senior User
How old is the fuel filter, may be dirty, fuel tanks, on some trucks, tend to peel the inner coating of the fuel tank, check that. Check the fuel pressure. There are previous threads about fuel pressure tests. You just need a faced tire gauge.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Gene4321
New User
Originally Posted by jacob_powerhouse View Post
How old is the fuel filter, may be dirty, fuel tanks, on some trucks, tend to peel the inner coating of the fuel tank, check that. Check the fuel pressure. There are previous threads about fuel pressure tests. You just need a faced tire gauge.
I've had low power for 5-8 years, no turbo spool up sound in 5-8 years. I have changed the fuel filter every couple years beyond what the service shops have done.

Just so I am looking at the right threads, you are talking about a sensor attached to the fuel bowl correct? Something I can run inside the cab and watch at various RPM's and loads? MaxTow 0-100psi from Amazon? Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/MaxTow-100-Fu...pressure+gauge

Or what I believe you are referencing is a simple fuel pressure gauge...

https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7818.../dp/B0006V2BI2

Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
How's your up pipes? Are they leaking? Try pressurizing the exhaust to check for leaks. Also pressurize your intake side. What kind of intake you have? Stock? Aftermarket? I'd so what kind/brand.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM
jacob_powerhouse
Senior User
On the fuel pressure regulator there is a fitting similar to a tire air fitting that you can use to check the fuel pressure while engine is running. You just need a faced tire pressure gauge. It should have a black cap

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 AM
knottyrope
Postmaster
knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.knottyrope has a very good reputation on FTE.
Items in red maybe be leaking air judging by the dirt they have on them
Green is where the Schrader valve is that you can use a tire pressure gauge on to measure fuel pressure

Old 09-23-2016, 10:39 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.cowmilker08 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you can monitor your fuel pressure while on a hard run that would be ideal. The tire pressure gauge is a nice quick check to see if you have a really bad pump that can't keep pressure even at idle.

I asked about your air filter, what condition is it in?

I would start by loosening your downpipe and verifying that the EBPV is open. Also check with the truck running. Oil pressure actuates it.

Then pull the intake boot off of the turbo and inspect the compressor wheel. Even 1 nick or worn edge means it needs replaced. Check for shaft play. At little front/back and up/down is normal just as long os the wheel doesn't touch the housing. There should be ZERO in/out shaft play.

I'm in the process of going through the data you posted.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Ok, in short you're data is pretty useless. The more PIDs you log the less data points you get per second. I'm focusing on your second run. From 0-84 mph takes 34.1 seconds and you got 19 data points. Not much I can do with that.

So do another run, but this time only run these PIDs: RPM, Boost, EBP, FIPW, ICP, IPR DC%, MAP, Speed OBD)

Thank you!

Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I am calculating about a 22.6 second 1/4 mile time on that run. Boost and back pressure look low.

How many miles on the truck?

Old 09-24-2016, 07:55 PM
jacob_powerhouse
Senior User
It's a 5-speed manual not a race car lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 F250 7.3 5-Speed, Low Power, OBDII data Android

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: