2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit

Old 02-07-2018, 06:28 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
I have a toy hauler so I couldn't run mine up high easily due to the rear ramp gate. I installed it low on the bumper and it works perfectly. The camera is wide angle and really is very forgiving on where you mount it.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 PM
luedee
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tip. That’s easy enough to try!

Old 02-09-2018, 02:25 PM
lovetorv
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all, new to the forum and I have a 2017 Platinum Dually that I have only owned a few weeks (left over inventory = good price). I have multiple trailers I tow with my dually and I am very interested in the TPMS but have questions I didn't see answered as I read ll posts in this thread. If I missed the answer I apologize.

My RV already has a rear camera from the trailer manufacturer, I don't want or need the Ford version that can be added. However I am very interested in the TPMS system and would like to add this for at least two of my trailers (one is a dual axle, the other is a triple axle). Do you have to buy the kit with the wire and harness system for each trailer and mount it on each trailer or can you just buy the TPMS sensors (Ford or aftermarket) and get them to work with the truck? Purchasing dealer just looks at me all confused and doesn't know the answers?

I don't really want to buy two complete wired systems especially if they come with a camera, I also don't want to install the wired system just for TPMS unless that is the only way. In fact if installing the wire kit is mandatory to get just TPMS I may just abandon this idea?

Anyway, any help you all can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Garry

Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,609 Likes on 2,723 Posts
I suppose if you disconnected/connected the wiring harness and TPMS receiver box from each trailer you could get by with just one wiring harness/receiver. But the sensors are married to that box I think. So you would have to retrain each time the harness was transferred.

A harness/box for each trailer would not require retraining each time.

I have only one trailer I put my harness on so I don't have experience with moving it around.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Robeleo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think you can buy one kit and multiple sensors and swap the box everytime you use diferdiff trailer, I haven't tried yet on my own

Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 PM
PunksSuperDuty
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstalkn
I've had mine in sence December. With the 17.5 wheels with H rated tires they are working perfectly. Once in a great while I loose the signal in the right rear sensor for a short time.
Jesstalkn I'm glad to hear someone is running the system with H-Load rated tires. What pressure are you running? I've heard the sensors in the kit only support 125 psig. I'll be running cold at 123 psig so I know I'll have hot tire pressures well above 125. Are you running the sensors included in the kit and how are they working at the higher pressure? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Great thread. Having my RV dealer install the wiring/harnesses and camera this week. Now I know what I'm talking about with them!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Stanbro
Junior User
Always disconnect TPMS/Camera cable first

I am 16,000 miles into an RV trip around the perimeter of the U.S. I have unhooked my 5th wheel trailer so many times during this trip I can’t count them all. Early on, I forgot to unhook the TPMS/rear-camera cable from the truck. The connector stayed with the truck and all of the wires with electrical contacts attached pulled out of the connector. That was embarrassing. I managed to repair it but it took many hours. Not fun.

My reason for posting, other than to confess my mistake, is that it is easy to forget that cable. If you are like me, you have developed a routine for unhooking your trailer from the truck. I highly recommend that disconnecting that cable becomes the first step in your routine.

When towing a 5th wheel, you have to lower the tailgate, which then obscures your view of that cable where it attaches to the truck. Out of sight, out of mind. That is why I now disconnect that cable first.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:50 AM
System
Prolocutor
Stan, many of us have relocated the TPMS camera connector to the bed below the 7 way. This prevents the issue you had... Go back in this thread and look for the Nichols manufacturing setup to accomplish this task...

Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Stanbro
Junior User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Stan, many of us have relocated the TPMS camera connector to the bed below the 7 way. This prevents the issue you had... Go back in this thread and look for the Nichols manufacturing setup to accomplish this task...
Karl4Cat,

Much thanks for the pointer to this setup. This is the ideal setup for a 5th wheel or gooseneck trailer.

For others, here is a link to the product:

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...5th-wheel-only

Old 02-26-2018, 06:52 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup.. relocate to the bed.. or if you're like me, and have both a bumper pull and gooseneck with a camera, add one to the bed.. so now you can always plug in the camera right next to the trailer connector, regardless of what style trailer you're pulling. And ziptie your cables together to help you remember.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:23 PM
PunksSuperDuty
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Trailer camera allow observation

Just a quick question from those of you using the trailer camera. Does the system allow you to use the trailer camera for observation as you are driving down the road or does it only activate in reverse?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:25 PM
System
Prolocutor
Only in reverse.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 AM
villestrip
Tuned
Originally Posted by WiredJs
it is just a flexible metal band and bracket that holds the sensor in place inside the wheel well. I didn't get a photo when they were installing but if you search on google for "TPMS band" you will see several kits available for sale and I'm sure your local shop could install.

Do you know if when they installed these did they just put the sensor portion in or the whole valve stem assembly in the tire?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:43 PM
andymil
New User
Originally Posted by PunksSuperDuty
Just a quick question from those of you using the trailer camera. Does the system allow you to use the trailer camera for observation as you are driving down the road or does it only activate in reverse?
Only in reverse and you have to select the Aux camera every time you go from Drive to Reverse. PITA if you don’t get the trailer where you want it on the first try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer Camera and TPMS Kit