2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Mirror glass part number question

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 AM
dlaude6
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mirror glass part number question

Does anyone know the difference between these two parts, linked below? They are both the driver side view mirror glass for '12-'16 Expeditions/Navigators. The difference in description says that one is for power fold mirrors and the other one is for withOUT power fold mirrors. I just don't understand how if the mirror assembly folds or not will dictate which glass to buy. Does the glass have an additional connector which folds the glass flat when the mirrors fold in? The passenger side only has one part #, regardless of power folding or not.

withOUT power fold: MIRROR GLASS, LEFT for 2012 Ford Expedition|CL1Z-17K707-C

with power fold: MIRROR GLASS, LEFT for 2012 Ford Expedition|CL1Z-17K707-D

side mirror assemble, for reference: OUTSIDE MIRRORS for 2012 Ford Expedition

Additional details (IE - why I just don't check which one works on my VIN): I have a 2008 Navigator and I don't have the blind spot inserts on my side view mirrors, and I would really like them (I like the clean look of OEM so I don't want to add on an round convex mirror). I've read that the '12-'16 mirror glass is a direct replacement for the '07-'11s. I have power folding, memory, heated side view mirrors and I'm trying to find the right part number for a replacement for just the glass. I don't want to spend the extra ~$15 if I don't have to, hence the question (I know, I'm frugal!). I just can't fathom why a power folding mirror has a different piece of glass on it. I don't think they're different shapes, because then passenger side would have two part #s as well.

I've googled the part numbers, tried finding pictures of both, and done the online 'chat' on sites to try to figure this out - I have run out of ideas on how to figure it out. Help is appreciated.

I posted this question in a relevant thread in the '07-'14 Expedition/Navigator sub-forum which no luck on an answer, which is why I'm here now - testing your guys' knowledge.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:25 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
I think the electrochromatic auto dimming driver side mirror came in 2012 as part of a package, which would explain why there are 2 numbers for d/s and only 1 for the p/s. I suspect that is the difference. I'd like to know how this works out for you, I'm thinking of doing the same on my 2010.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:34 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
From another part supplier (fordpartsgiant), here are the descriptions for what it's worth:
-C: Drv Pwr Heated Mir Memory Pwr Fold, Less Functional Upgrade Pack, Limited Edition Package, Monochromatic Appearance Package
-D: Drv Pwr Heated Mir Memory Pwr Fold, Less Exterior Appearance Pack, Less Functional Upgrade Pack, Limited Edition Package, Monochromatic Appearance Package

I can't translate that....

Old 09-14-2016, 03:35 PM
dlaude6
Junior User
Seems like the only difference there is the 'less exterior appearance pack' option. Googling "expedition exterior appearance pack" was not very successful though, so I guess I can't translate it either haha.

That's a good guess about the electrochromatic auto dimming driver side mirror though, I wonder if that is related. At the very least, it gives me another option lead to look into, so thanks for that!

I'll definitely keep you posted.

Somewhat related, they want ~$260 for the passenger side one!!!

ETA: I definitely think you're on to something with the electrochromic driver's side mirror. Not applicable on my '08, so seems the lesser expensive option would work. Will continue digging though to confirm, and will of course report back.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:49 PM
dlaude6
Junior User
OKAY, I believe I have successfully cracked the case, which huge help from alwaysfords41. You are correct - on the Limited and King Ranch trims for 2012 (maybe newer, as well, but just found the 2012 brochure - http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=17406), the power-folding mirrors are auto-dimming.

Which means (I think), that even though my '08 mirrors are power-folding, I will be fine with the "without power fold" version of the '12+ mirrors, because I don't have the auto-dimming feature.

Phew, man that is a load off my back! haha. Thanks again @alwaysfords41!

Old 09-14-2016, 05:43 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Let me know how it goes and what the removal / installation procedure is.

Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM
dlaude6
Junior User
Originally Posted by alwaysfords41
I think the electrochromatic auto dimming driver side mirror came in 2012 as part of a package, which would explain why there are 2 numbers for d/s and only 1 for the p/s. I suspect that is the difference. I'd like to know how this works out for you, I'm thinking of doing the same on my 2010.
So I bought the non-power mirror glass, because as you/we determined, the only difference is the auto-dimming, and I don't have that on my '08.

Bought this (MIRROR GLASS, LEFT for 2012 Ford Expedition|CL1Z-17K707-C) and it came. Install was a breeze. Move mirror using the interior ****, to have it aimed all the way to the inside (right for driver side) and up. Look inside and you can see the where it is attached to the center, round mount. Stick a screwdriver in there and pop it off out from the center mount. Work the screwdriver around the circle using force only on the mount and that portion of the glass, otherwise you risk breaking the glass. Should come off once you get about 90 degrees of it unsnapped. Pull off the two electrical contacts from the back of the mirror. Connect them on the new mirror, center the mirror on the center, round mount, and press on. Press in the center of the mirror as to not crack the new mirror. Readjust mirror so you can see the road, and viola - all done!

I'll be buying passenger side mirror soon to do that one as well. Cheapest I found is $260 for the mirror glass, but oddly enough they have the entire assembly for less than that, so I'm going to just buy the assembly, swap the glass, then probably sell the assembly.

Mirror glass: http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...position=right
Assembly for cheaper, but confirm it has the blind spot insert glass: http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...position=right

Old 09-22-2016, 12:38 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
Thanks. Seems like it might be a good junk yard / ebay find also to save on the right side cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PASSENGER-RI...5XpORT&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PASSENGER-RI...lXxITP&vxp=mtr

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM
dlaude6
Junior User
Yep - that's exactly my plan! Weird how the assembly is less than just the glass itself haha.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:06 AM
dlaude6
Junior User
Okay just to follow up now that I finished the project. As stated above, the difference between the two 'left' mirror glass part #s is one is auto-dimming, one is not. For the 07-11s, we don't have that, so buy the lesser expensive one (non-auto dimming, best price I found new, here: MIRROR GLASS, LEFT for 2012 Ford Expedition|CL1Z-17K707-C) then since right side glass was so expensive, I actually bought an entire right side assembly, took the glass off, and put it on mine. I sourced a used part on ebay from a junkyard seller, i just searched "right side 2012 expedition mirror", you can check the part numbers here: OUTSIDE MIRRORS for 2012 Ford Expedition

They came in, I swapped mine out, and the new ones in, and done! The glass just pops out, though be careful. My passenger side glass was curved a little bit, so it was very difficult for me to get a screwdriver under there in the correct location, and I ended up cracking it when I took it off. Oh well. Turn mirror all the way to the inside and up as far as it'll go, and look for the round tab in there and pop that off the center round bracket. Once you take a look, it's straight forward, but make sure you're on the tab and not on the glass part or you'll crack it.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:55 PM
mdntblu
Senior User
I'm going to resurrect this post. hahaha.

I have a 2016 Expy Limited EL. I do have the electrochromatic auto dimming drivers side mirror, I also have power folding mirrors and heated. But I don't have BLIS but I have the small blind spot mirror in the upper corner. I'm having a hard time finding that mirror that isn't like $250 for a piece of glass. https://i.imgur.com/SGv1jZu.png Looks like this.
Any ideas?