1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear Fender bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts
Rear Fender bolts

I picked up new fenders for my truck yesterday. What is the best way to keep the rear fender bolts in place?

Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Your question is a bit too vague to answer...what style bolts do you have? The OEM setup had three small spot welds per bolt to hold them to the bedside. Aftermarket bolts on some beds have a square shank under the head of the bolt that fits into a square hole in the bedside (ala Mar-K). Some other aftermarket bolts have a beveled washer and a flat headed hex stainless steel bolt (Midfifty #81544) that looks very custom.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Sorry didn't realize there was different bolts.

Mine have the square hole like a carriage bolt. I plan on having them painted over when I get the truck painted and was looking at ways to make sure they stay in place with out welding them there.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:57 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
I guess that the simplest answer to " What is the best way to keep the rear fender bolts in place?" is to say that the bolts are held in place by the nut on the other end. I sense that this may not be the answer you seek but it is the way that most trucks have it. If you feel like you should have the bolts fixed to the bedside without a nut, then I would use a dab of structural adhesive under the head of each bolt. I am painting a bed right now and I went to a lot of work to break away the OEM spot-welded bolts so that I could more easily prep the bedsides and cut/buff after painting. Do your painter a favor and leave the bolts off until after the bed has been painted...those bolt heads are a PITA to sand around and even harder to buff.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the reply. I will take your suggestion and leave them free.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2016, 06:05 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Indybeer
Thanks for the reply. I will take your suggestion and leave them free.

Thanks
Give the bolts to your painter have him paint them

Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
My original bolts were welded to the bedsides. It sounds like yours were not? Dennis Carpenter has a full set of unpolished SS bolts, nuts, etc. for $30. They look like they have square heads: Rear Fender Bolt - Set | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

If you have a new bedsides you would have to cut square holes. This tool looks pretty slick for that: https://jet.com/product/detail/e5a67...EL8Q&gclsrc=ds

Maybe someone else has a better solution?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:20 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Pete...some aftermarket bed makers put square holes in their bed sides, Mar-K is just one. If he already has the square holes then he is good to go with the square shank bolts as you have posted.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:02 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Pete...some aftermarket bed makers put square holes in their bed sides, Mar-K is just one. If he already has the square holes then he is good to go with the square shank bolts as you have posted.
Good to know Charlie. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Indybeer
Laughing Gas
I picked up my bed from Midwest Early Ford out of Springfield OH. Now sure where they get their parts, but it came with the square holes, and I got the Stainless Steel bolts that they sell for it.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All the holes in my stock bed are round, I cut the original bolts off and popped them out with a center punch. it's beginning to puzzle me now after reading about all the square holes? I've discovered that the regular after market rear fender bolts with the square shank will fit really nicely with a little pressure. I wont install them until later at final painting.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:59 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Mervy49
All the holes in my stock bed are round, I cut the original bolts off and popped them out with a center punch. it's beginning to puzzle me now after reading about all the square holes? I've discovered that the regular after market rear fender bolts with the square shank will fit really nicely with a little pressure. I wont install them until later at final painting.
I have found that if you clamp onto the OEM welded bolt with a pair of vise grips and give it a good up and down motion, the spot welds will snap without any distortion to the bedside. All ten bolts can be removed using this technique in about 2 mins. As for the round holes and bolts, I like the ones supplied by Midfifty (#81544), a little pricey but they are very nice looking.

Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 PM
ghart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I like the ones supplied by Midfifty (#81544), a little pricey but they are very nice looking.
For sure, those do look great! But the price (linky) about gave me a heart attack. That's almost $5 per bolt set

Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
The cost is in the labor involved with turning those beveled billet washers. It takes a screw mill and a jig to make it work. There was a guy here in SoCal that made these but unfortunately he passed some years ago...I believe that he was charging $2.25 each for the beveled washers and that was 15 years ago.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:12 AM
ghart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh makes sense. Didn't realize those were a labor-intensive item to make. I see little odds and ends like that and just figure there's a robot chugging away in some factory cranking 'em out.

Quick Reply: Rear Fender bolts