6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

In search of the Holy Grail: Used Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:19 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In search of the Holy Grail: Used Trucks

Interesting day today, not going to mention members here or the dealer but want to share with others... Be prepared to do your homework even if you are experienced or a new member, this will save your cash and from a mistake you would later regret.

Introduction: I have a member looking for a clean used low mileage, unmolested truck, Fair enough. Has to be Lariat or King Ranch, Crew Cab 2006-2007 6.0L or may consider V-10. Narrowing the field but we can work on that and short bed... Alright short bed, toss 15 possibilities but I am good with it. The good: can be F250 or F350, we have some breathing room. You ever try picking out the one hair in your grandmothers head that has not turned Grey? How about a nice Duel wheel, I found a ton of those? I knew the answer before asking... one has to try.

Arm yourself with information and the ability to phone someone, I have a few guys here on speed dial. I use Torque phone app to diagnose on my Android, total cost maybe $20. Even works with my Jeep Grand Cherokee so that is nice.

Fast forward to today, found a truck in both our backyards with an equal 1.5 drive time, West Virginia to Ohio from auction, 2005 F-250 with only 45K on the clock, one owner 6.0L diesel Lariat. Game on, did a little research, OASIS showed Rear axle speed sensor replaced, fuse blown on trailer clearance light and FICM updated. Not bad, wrong year but worth a shot.

Truck is presentable, clean upon first looks. Had a few brake issues that were addressed, passenger rear brake a little questionable, inside lower tail gate has rust. Frame had been under coated hiding rust. We decide to get into the nuts and bolts of things.

Coolant level low, not visible in the degas bottle.
OBD port fuse blown, had the dealer get us a fuse.
Initial drive, truck not up to temp 2 degree delta.
FICM voltage dropped to 34 volts, not constantly but it needs fixed.
Low circuit voltage all 8 injectors came up in the codes because of the FICM
4 wheel drive engages, hubs were already locked so it safe to say the front hub seals are out, never checked, no need to we have bigger issues.

Alternator voltage good, high pressure pump PSI 3,900 at WOT. Known issues on 2005, Snap to Connect, so we assume it has not been touched. Would be a good idea to update the dummy plugs, stand pipe and snap to connect, we knew this going in as a possible future repair. No big deal if you plan for it.

46 degree delta between oil temperature and water, whoa! we have a problem Houston. Bigger question in the long run, even purchased for a reasonable price, have the heads and gaskets been compromised?

We both came armed, told the dealer upfront we will be honest with you on what we find, he should have been well aware that he was not dealing with just an average day buyer. Much drama ensued, he still owns the truck and I fear for the unsuspecting buyer, it is going to get ugly really fast or he can eat crow and fix it himself. Sometimes you lose and sometimes you lose big.

Buyer Beware.....

Old 09-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Sawbones25
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were you able to get all that info via the Torque app? What did you use to plug in to the OBDII port?
Next week I'm going about 7 hours away to look at a truck. I would love to be able to check all that stuff out before I pay.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
All the information above except for the OASIS, we know a guy that knows a guy...

All you need is an ELM327 like this one or you can go more exotic.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:28 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Sawbones25
Were you able to get all that info via the Torque app? What did you use to plug in to the OBDII port?
Next week I'm going about 7 hours away to look at a truck. I would love to be able to check all that stuff out before I pay.
That is why I started this thread, do your homework and ask questions.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:32 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
What Bluetooth device would work best?

Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM
Sawbones25
Senior User
Outstanding. Thank you.
I have the VIN, if the guy who knows the guy you know, would be able to check it out...

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
All the information above except for the OASIS, we know a guy that knows a guy...

All you need is an ELM327 like this one or you can go more exotic.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What can I say? I'm picky! Times like today I am glad for FTE and learning enough from the resources here to spot issues before it hits your pocket book.

I know Maxium4x4 did not want to name names but I will.

The dealer is Fischer's Auto Sales in Urbana Ohio. While the end my conversation with them did not include pleasantries, in fact it included lots of tension and yelling, I don't have any ill will towards them. The truck had at least a bad FICM, plugged oil cooler and possibly shot head gaskets (unconfirmed and just a guess) I don't believe they were attempting to rip me off. They just didn't know enough to check for issues.

They bought it at auction and at one point showed me what they paid for it. I can see how in that setting they paid for it what they did. It was a pretty sharp truck and not being able to drive it they couldn't have known about plugged oil cooler before they bought it but they could have checked the FICM. Anyway at the end of the day they paid to much for it and were insulted with me saying as much. In my opinion they paid to much even if it had no issues.

I do not know any plans they have for the truck after this. They could sell it as is and never say a word to the sucker that over pays for it or they could fix it. I haven't a clue but if you happen to be looking for a truck and find the one below I would just move on.

VIN: 1FTSW21P65ED31996

Used 2005 Ford F-250 SD Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD for Sale in Urbana OH 43078 Fischer's Auto Sales & Powersports

Old 09-10-2016, 04:36 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
What can I say? I'm picky! Times like today I am glad for FTE and learning enough from the resources here to spot issues before it hits your pocket book.

I know Maxium4x4 did not want to name names but I will.

The dealer is Fischer's Auto Sales in Urbana Ohio. While the end my conversation with them did not include pleasantries, in fact it included lots of tension and yelling, I don't have any ill will towards them. The truck had at least a bad FICM, plugged oil cooler and possibly shot head gaskets (unconfirmed and just a guess) I don't believe they were attempting to rip me off. They just didn't know enough to check for issues.

They bought it at auction and at one point showed me what they paid for it. I can see how in that setting they paid for it what they did. It was a pretty sharp truck and not being able to drive it they couldn't have known about plugged oil cooler before they bought it but they could have checked the FICM. Anyway at the end of the day they paid to much for it and were insulted with me saying as much. In my opinion they paid to much even if it had no issues.

I do not know any plans they have for the truck after this. They could sell it as is and never say a word to the sucker that over pays for it or they could fix it. I haven't a clue but if you happen to be looking for a truck and find the one below I would just move on.

VIN: 1FTSW21P65ED31996

Used 2005 Ford F-250 SD Lariat Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD for Sale in Urbana OH 43078 Fischer's Auto Sales & Powersports
John just might delete his own thread...

It'll be interesting if we pick up a new member asking how to fix a bad FICM and Oil Cooler, and trace his truck back to this...

You're 'sposed to join FTE 1st and figure out what NOT to buy!!!

You guys are making the world a better place, one 6.0 at a time...

Old 09-10-2016, 05:04 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive been shopping from the left to right side for trucks and its unreal what ive seen and heard in the last mnth, its a buyers beware wonderland no doubt.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by hwybee22
What Bluetooth device would work best?
Read up on ELM327 OBD2 Bluetooth, then pick what you want to spend. I couldn't pick up Mikes device because my phone is paired with mine. I could go into settings but I didn't.

We have been looking for sometime, since of late I have had time on my hands and hit it pretty hard. Mike has looked at possible trucks and they are rusted beyond the pictures once you see it in person. If it walks like a Duck, Quacks like a Duck, one cannot rule out it is a Skunk in disguise... That is why I started this thread since as you would all assume I kind of know what I am doing and it is frustrating to say the least.

Any machine can break and be fixed, but, when confronted with obvious you walk away. As I stated earlier I would be honest as to what was found and It went South as I left Mike to talk with the Dealer.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:58 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Issues like that are bargaining chips for me. In reality that's a 19 to maybe 21000 dollar truck. Minus the work it needs and if I really wanted the truck I would of offered as is 15 and settle on 16. If they took it, OK. If not, no big deal I'd keep looking.
Dealers know the spoken reputation of a 6.0 and a lot of times if you show you know what you're looking at and present the issues they may want to just get out from under it and let it go.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:30 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
When I was looking for an Escape for my granddaughter (it's what she wanted for HS grad) I drove all over the state from Haddonfield to Nutley. It was amazing the crap I would. We had one Ford dealer in Summit asking high dollar for a vehicle not worth half the price. Parking it after a test drive I'm pointing to all the issues, the salesman is blowing those off, then I point to the long stream of coolant running down the parking lot. He asked what would I offer, I said I wouldn't touch it.

I had another dealer by Giants stadium offer me a job because I found all the accident damage his buyer didn't. I ended up getting one from the Bronx, and even that needed a lot of work. But at least they negotiated. Trailered it home. Finding a good used car is worse then dating. Both have surprises under the hood. And a mix of OE and aftermarket parts.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Issues like that are bargaining chips for me. In reality that's a 19 to maybe 21000 dollar truck. Minus the work it needs and if I really wanted the truck I would of offered as is 15 and settle on 16. If they took it, OK. If not, no big deal I'd keep looking.
Dealers know the spoken reputation of a 6.0 and a lot of times if you show you know what you're looking at and present the issues they may want to just get out from under it and let it go.
He paid retail of 22.5 on it and took a bath, so he has a choice, dump more into it or pawn it off on a unsuspecting buyer. Drive it much more the stand pipe will melt and it will be new engine time. Hook a loaded trailer up and it would be game over really quick.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:59 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
He paid retail of 22.5 on it and took a bath, so he has a choice, dump more into it or pawn it off on a unsuspecting buyer. Drive it much more the stand pipe will melt and it will be new engine time. Hook a loaded trailer up and it would be game over really quick.
O.K. to make sure I'm following this right, you guys walked away right- no deal? And the dealer paid retail, 22.5?

Old 09-10-2016, 10:00 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice looking truck, unifortunitly they will wait like vultures until some pour guy will take the bait , sad world we live in and most used car/ truck sales are like this, thanks Mark it is buyer beware on most things we purchase . Go in educated

Quick Reply: In search of the Holy Grail: Used Trucks