Looking for info 1941 3 ton

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:35 AM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for info 1941 3 ton

Hi everybody new member on here. Long time ford fan. I am hoping to start a new truck project for my son next year but first I am trying to source a decent cab for a 1941 3 ton truck. It is a family truck(my wifes) and my brother in law is looking to restore it.

Our first problem is finding a 3 ton cab, and we are not sure if any cab from 1941 would be the same. Comparing pictures they seem to be of different sizes. Any info or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks Donnie

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM
51504BAT
More Turbo
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
40/41 cabs are the same, big truck & p/u. The fenders, hood, and grill are different on the big trucks vs. p/u's.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
You can also look at 42-47 cabs, they are nearly identical, with some very minor differences, and same thing, they are the same size from 1/2 ton on up.
Congratulations on starting a family project, should be lots of fun and create good memories. If you get a chance, feel free to share some pictures of your truck here.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Here is a pic of the truck as she sits right now. I would like to retain the originality of this truck as much as possible(no mater how difficult the repairs to the cab might be) but my brother in law would like to replace the cab.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like a great project. Aside from the top of the cab being caved in from the top a bit, what issues do you have with the cab? There are patch panels made for most of the areas that rust away on these trucks.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:04 AM
DonnieFord
Junior User
The A pillar on the drivers side is pretty rotten(like see thru LOL). I would like to tackle it and keep it original, but BIL has other ideas. Where can I get and look at what is available for patch panels? Maybe if I can show him these are available he will consider it. This truck drove and was used on the farm right until it was parked in 94.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 AM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
41 3 ton

Originally Posted by DonnieFord

Here is a pic of the truck as she sits right now. I would like to retain the originality of this truck as much as possible(no mater how difficult the repairs to the cab might be) but my brother in law would like to replace the cab.
That looks like fun, can't wait to see more of it. Luck that you have the hood badges, those are very hard to come by.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Start with NorthernClassicTrucks.com

Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Thanks! I will look at that site!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:52 AM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Are there any online resources with info on 1941 3 ton trucks. Specs, etc. I see stuff on 2 ton etc but not much online on 3 ton.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a pretty straight 41 I got for the front clip. Drivers door was off and trampled by cows but if there is anything you need off it, let me know. I also have a pretty solid 46 cab that we cut the roof of of and it might have some good patch panels. But fwiw, these trucks ALL have rust in the cab behind/under the front fender. Even the ones that aren't pinholed are too thin to use.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 PM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Somebody quoted me this but I have no way to verify.

" All of the 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton Ford trucks for 1940 and 1941 shared the same exact cab, hood, and fender body design. The only differences between the '40s and '41s being the design of the chrome trim on the hood. For both years the 2 ton model had a dimensionally distinct reconfigured variation of the design for the cab, hood, and fenders, which included a different design for the headlights."

Does anybody have a 2 ton truck or 3 ton truck to verify this or go against this? I had understood that the fenders and hood were different but the cab too? I was trying to source parts and this is what the vender says which I believe to be untrue.

Are there any books etc that people can recommend for purchase?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 PM
DonnieFord
Junior User
Here is the side view of the three ton ab if it helps.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:15 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnieFord
Somebody quoted me this but I have no way to verify.

" All of the 1 ton and 1 1/2 ton Ford trucks for 1940 and 1941 shared the same exact cab, hood, and fender body design. The only differences between the '40s and '41s being the design of the chrome trim on the hood. For both years the 2 ton model had a dimensionally distinct reconfigured variation of the design for the cab, hood, and fenders, which included a different design for the headlights."

Does anybody have a 2 ton truck or 3 ton truck to verify this or go against this? I had understood that the fenders and hood were different but the cab too? I was trying to source parts and this is what the vender says which I believe to be untrue.

Are there any books etc that people can recommend for purchase?
I's like to see pictures to point out the differences.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:36 PM
DonnieFord
Junior User
I had contacted someone who sold parts for old Ford trucks who said that to me and then told me he had nothing for a three ton (his quotes are in blue). I personally believe they deal mostly in 48 and newer models. My big question is what is the difference between a one and a half ton and a three. Just extra springs in the back? Are the rest of the dimensions the same. Are any of the components bigger or heavier in a three ton. I have found a couple of ford pages talking about the different models in 41 with no mention of a three ton? I am just a little confused. are there many three tons out there? Does any one on here have one or seen one?
I have see a mention of a three ton fire truck and that is about it.

Quick Reply: Looking for info 1941 3 ton