1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

NEWBIES and FIRST TIME POSTERS--READ THE TECH FOLDERS!!

Old 09-06-2016, 10:05 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
NEWBIES and FIRST TIME POSTERS--READ THE TECH FOLDERS!!

Once again, just on the first page, we have 3 "no start/my truck runs bad/what could it be" threads.

I am not trying to be a dick...or maybe I am, but read the stickies for Christ's sake! Previous members put A LOT of time into these to help people such as yourselves. You will get more help and kinder help if you try to help yourself rather than posting all *****-nilly about information that is right there in front of you.

Oh, here's even one more to help you "no start" guys.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byb...1qRU1VVGc/view

Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
But here I have never seen a no start thread batman...

Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordman67
But here I have never seen a no start thread batman...

All things are not as they seem.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Christ cares if people read the stickies or not. Just sayin.

I don't think most of these people are too lazy to read the stickies. I just think they are in a hurry and figure if people are willing to answer them fast then it would be quicker than sorting through all the information. The stickies are definitely a good resource and should be read, but I personally don't mind people posting new "no start" threads. Sometimes I help em out, sometimes I just skip over them. No skin off my back either way.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:46 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
people with a PC in front of them wont search the web when they can email the IT guy with their question

Call it lazy or maybe some people are just clueless and just need one on one help

I had to help people find their power button on printer, plug in a USB plug, explain what a back slash is, help them find their inbox and more

Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
I don't think Christ cares if people read the stickies or not. Just sayin.

I don't think most of these people are too lazy to read the stickies. I just think they are in a hurry and figure if people are willing to answer them fast then it would be quicker than sorting through all the information. The stickies are definitely a good resource and should be read, but I personally don't mind people posting new "no start" threads. Sometimes I help em out, sometimes I just skip over them. No skin off my back either way.
Originally Posted by knottyrope
people with a PC in front of them wont search the web when they can email the IT guy with their question

Call it lazy or maybe some people are just clueless and just need one on one help

I had to help people find their power button on printer, plug in a USB plug, explain what a back slash is, help them find their inbox and more
I see what you guys are saying. Like my grand dad use to say, people don't have "try" anymore. I am losing interest in helping those who won't help themselves. It's my personal problem apparently. We are all built different. It won't bother some, while it will make others of us extremely frustrated. Neither one is wrong. I HATE laziness and immediate gratification mindsets. Hey, if it doesn't bother you, then good on ya. For me, I just skip over those threads anymore, especially when there are 3 different ones on the first page. I knew this thread would get ignored by most, but at least I have spoken my opinion.

Success is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. Work hard for reward rather than expect it to be handed to you.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The way I see it, a guy's truck won't start and he's usually already spent a lot of time and money on it. He comes here in a state of distress and I can't blame him for not taking the logical and scientific approach and reading through all the stickies and using the search function. He's frustrated, needs help so he asks for it. My truck always starts (so far) or I probably would've done the same.

Two types of forum members here, those who are serious OBS owners and have studied and know a lot, and members who don't know a lot about 7.3L Diesels and come here for help. No amount of red fonts and "Read This First" statements are going to change human nature.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 PM
krifenbu
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
First I want to say I appreciate all who contribute to helping on the forums.

Now, I want everyone to just stop and think about how new people find FTE. They go to Google and type in "Ford 7.3 won't start". Now Google gives them some links to click on. When the person goes there, they find some info, but it isn't the first page of the forum which has the Read First tech info.

The next thing they see is the Search button, or are rudely told to go search it. Then they put in the same thing and you know what comes up, lots of links to no start treads, but guess what isn't showing, the Read first threads.

Try it and you will see.

Then they try to post in someone else's thread and are told to go start their own with the button up above.

So they start their own thread without ever going to the first page of the forum.

Now if the person has been around for a while, then they will start reading the threads and see the first page with the Read first tech info.

So if you say you want to help, then try to understand that if the person knew about the tech folders I am sure they would start there and not be "lazy" and asking for help. Please be polite to people who don't spend 20-30 hours a week reading posts on forums and don't know how the forums work.

Now I want everyone to think of why they first came to FTE or found FTE. I am willing to bet that most of you first came here needing help.

I would hate to see this place turn into some of the other sites where members have time to post about how the new person is doing things wrong, or laugh and joke about that person with each other by posting 5 or 6 times, but don't share their knowledge and actually help.

I personally think that it would be more helpful if any thread over 1 year old that doesn't have a solution to the problem be deleted. That way no one has to waste time reading a dead ended thread.

Oh and by the way, if you read Glow Plug/gpr/hard Winter Start And White Smoke Thread in the Read first section, by post 6 they have already started adding confusion by talking about 2 relays in the valley and adding stuff for the 1999-2003 Super Duty. The link in post #8 says it goes to a picture of the GPR, but it doesn't. I am not saying there isn't good info there, but if a person doesn't know how to maneuver around a forum, they are probably going to get lost in some of this info.

Kevin

Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
Reps sent Kevin, good insight

Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I see what you guys are saying. Like my grand dad use to say, people don't have "try" anymore. I am losing interest in helping those who won't help themselves. It's my personal problem apparently. We are all built different. It won't bother some, while it will make others of us extremely frustrated. Neither one is wrong. I HATE laziness and immediate gratification mindsets. Hey, if it doesn't bother you, then good on ya. For me, I just skip over those threads anymore, especially when there are 3 different ones on the first page. I knew this thread would get ignored by most, but at least I have spoken my opinion.

Success is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. Work hard for reward rather than expect it to be handed to you.
Hey, wait a minute...aren't you the guy who started yet another E4OD thread? (Just kidding)

Old 09-11-2016, 10:55 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I'm letting this go. It's not going to change anything just like you can't make lazy workers work harder by yelling at them. Laziness is an inherent character flaw as is narcissism, stupidity, and all of the other BS we have to put up with when dealing with the human race. We will just have to agree to disagree. No amount of explaining will change my mind or yours who see this differently.

And no, I believe I started another thread on aftermarket turbos after spending an hour reading through the tech mods and finding no answer to my questions. And yep, also spent about 2 hours looking for the ZF swap write up. I don't expect someone to do what I would not be willing to do myself. That would be poor leadership. Anyways, thanks for reading. Carry on posting silly stuff for those who get a kick.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:36 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helping is what most people here like to do even if it is just to say the answer is here in the sticky.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:09 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
I like helping, I really do...just not those who won't help themselves.