6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Transmission is out of truck... what to update while out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:28 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission is out of truck... what to update while out?

2006 250... 135k miles
egr delete, cooler delete, updated stand pipes, stc fitting, blue screen and put in all aluminum rad.

So trans is out and ordered a suncoast trans. as I tow a 8k trailer daily everywhere I go. Im really thinking about doing the studs myself in cab. Also going to delete the oil cooler and go with the air oil cooler from bullet proof unless someone has a better idea. This is all happening soon. My hg are still good at 130k and I tow daily.. so im assumming its a matter of time.

BUT.. while i have the trans out now and waiting for new one to come I was thinking about maybe updating the exhaust and anything else while its out. I live in florida so no emissions here. I dont know squat about the benifits or what size or what to delete or where to start looking for one for a good price.

Any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Check the insulation between the cab and drivetrain. If you want more now is the time to add it.
Something like Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
would be easy to spray on while you have easy access. They have both sound and heat compounds
that can be stacked
. Also while you have the trans out might check for any major rust on the frame.
While we are talking about insulation you could easily add the heat blanket to the "Y" pipe and up pipes.
Then if you do go with the Lizard Skin spray and have some left over sound insulation I would hit the
insides of the doors to cut down sound from the outside.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 09-01-2016, 05:54 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Lizard skin.. got it.. lol I will google that for sure.. great ideas on the wrap as well!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:32 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
put the 08' pan and internal filter on that new transmission if it isn't coming that way!
4" exhaust with a 3.5" down pipe will help with EGT while towing and add an Auber digital EGT gauge. Exhaust is $300, gauge $120... money well spent. Pan and filter another $100

Old 09-01-2016, 07:36 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Ok.. what about deleteing the cc?

I have read about the 08 pan and filter. I will call suncoast tomorrow and see if they will do that as well.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
put the 08' pan and internal filter on that new transmission if it isn't coming that way!
4" exhaust with a 3.5" down pipe will help with EGT while towing and add an Auber digital EGT gauge. Exhaust is $300, gauge $120... money well spent. Pan and filter another $100

Something like this?
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dep-k4346a

and 3.5 down pipe??

Old 09-01-2016, 09:38 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What happened to your trans with that little of miles? how much boost you make while towing now?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:10 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Originally Posted by wedge542
What happened to your trans with that little of miles? how much boost you make while towing now?
Not sure what you mean by how much boost... The truck is pretty much stock minus the normal upgrades... I just drive... boost never really goes above 20 i guess. Im not one to beat on my truck if that makes sense. lol
As to the trans.. I bought the truck with 79k on it.. so it has around 50k of towing a 8k trailer daily. Who knows what the guy that owned the truck before me did with it. I just lost 3rd and dealer said it was a clutch pack and would have to tear it down and be a rebuild. I said .. no thank you and ordered a heavy duty upgrade from suncoast. Hopefully this solves my problems as I have to have this truck to make a living.

Last edited by happscrap; 09-01-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: wasnt finished
Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We dont hear to many these trans going bad at all why i ask,i make a living with mine,tow heavy every day almost,over 220k miles,trans still like new. The filter needs changed as reg maint, ck the temps while towing. How much that suncost cost these days?

Old 09-02-2016, 12:59 PM
happscrap
Senior User
I tow everyday with mine as well for my work. I change fluids and filters every other oil change... it might be a easy fix but as soon as I heard that the transmission had to come apart I said screw it I'll just put a new one in from Suncoast Transmissions cost $6,600 for mine with a Billet shaft and torque converter for Towing

Old 09-02-2016, 01:03 PM
happscrap
Senior User
The down time and not having the truck is costing me thousands of dollars so putting in a new transmission that is supposed to be stronger than snot will save me money in the long run and down time I hope... lol

Old 09-02-2016, 03:18 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would ditch the CC as well if you can, one less point of restriction and one less thing to worry about.

I will say I am surprised you don't generate more than 20 lbs of boost, especially towing.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:34 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
I would ditch the CC as well if you can, one less point of restriction and one less thing to worry about.

I will say I am surprised you don't generate more than 20 lbs of boost, especially towing.
Ok.. so im looking for a 3.5 inch down pipe with 4 inch on the rest and a muffler.

I might have more than 20 on the boost.. i just dont really look down.. i just tow.. lol I will keep a closer eye once truck is fixed. Been thinking about getting the 3 gauge deal setup. Trans temp, eot, and boost .

Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a scan gauge, it will do all three of those. Use an android phone. Load Torque Pro for $5 and an ELM 327 OBD blue tooth device for $20 and read 25 PIDS.

Get a EGT gauge

Get something to watch the truck as much as you tow, to prevent an easy fix becoming bad.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:20 PM
happscrap
Senior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Get a scan gauge, it will do all three of those. Use an android phone. Load Torque Pro for $5 and an ELM 327 OBD blue tooth device for $20 and read 25 PIDS.

Get a EGT gauge
I already have both) I upgraded my phone and just need to set up the pids on torque again..
just thought the guages wouod always be there.. on.. since sometimes im lazy

Quick Reply: Transmission is out of truck... what to update while out?