1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Another Crown Vic Suspension Swap 66 F100 aka "60sick" Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Koomz
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Crown Vic Suspension Swap 66 F100 aka "60sick" Build

Hey all I just thought Id share my build along side of all these other inspirational builds going on. Im not a crazy fabber nor do I have thousands in shop tools. Im just your average handyman some of you may cringe at my techniques and Im ok with that lol. I urge your constructive criticism and look forward to this adventure.

I picked up a 1966 ford f100 with no motor or trans out of a barn for 2000. hit it was some sand paper and dropped a 69 t-bird 429 thunderjet and c-6 into it.
I daily drove it like this on manual drums and steering until I tore the studs clean through the hub assembly ...all 5. scary!

So here it is 08 crown vic p71 font subframe swap.. for some maybe not the cheapest and most effective way but for me to get lowered , pwr steering, and brakes I can work with ford ..I know and am comfortable with ford ..jag and whatever else truly kinda scares me.

on to the build.

this is when I was driving it as it was before the breakdown

on the road!

heres when I added some white wall inserts

68 t-bird 429 thunderjet on c6 trans

day 1 start removing tires and brakes since the passenger side removed itself already all by itself lol

note my hub assembly holes for the studs

you can see how much bigger they are on the pass side Im lucky I was just cruising on my street when the tire folded under.

so first on the list of to do's..drain the fluids and tackle the front clip.

08 cv p71 subframe

so it went really well!. I spent 2 weeks just hitting every bolt with liquid wrench before actually starting the work

progress..

cab will need to come off to do the floors and mounts but thats later

so next welded on the temp cross member and ready for a motor pull

so I called my buddy LOL

too easy really again I dont have all the tools but I do have amazing friends and family!

well with the motor out the next step is to mark out the old axles centerlines on the frame rails and pull the old ibeams out

just a progress pic very happy!

cross member shot

another cv subframe shot before tare down

so I got the box off too , I want to have the floors fixed up on that and also deal with the rear axle flip or swap or just hanger kit well see ...still researching on this and pondering..

this is the ed ritchie cv to 66 ford mounting kit complete and ready to rock..

this is the cv to ford 429 motor mounts also from ed ready to rock

here are the trailing arm bushings..they have been cut open and rotated for proper alignment adjustablitly.

so thats where we are at folks... this weekend pulling the ibeams and the cross member..stay tuned!
Koomz

Old 09-01-2016, 12:16 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a great start so far. I'm loving the 65 grille on the 66. Does the ED kit come with everything to make it a direct swap no fab work yourself? Do they have 351 Cleveland motor mounts for the cv subframe? I'll be watching. Just picked up a 66 myself and it came with an 07 cv in the bed deciding if I want to use that or a jag IFS

Old 09-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Koomz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
LOKKS like a great start so far. I'm loving the 65 grille on the 66. Does the ED kit come with everything to make it a direct swap no fab work yourself? Do they have 351 Cleveland motor mounts for the cv subframe? I'll be watching. Just picked up a 66 myself and it came with an 07 cv in the bed deciding if I want to use that or a jag IFS
Cheers thanks alot I too rather the 65 grille. The ed kit does come with everything you need you just have to weld it all together also yes he does have 351 mounts I believe . if you have it..use it I say!

Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll have to check into there bolt in kits. I looked into another company that does the same thing just have to do the assembling and welding as well. I want to use it but I've always been kind of against the CV swaps due to the wide width and slim selection on wheels and offsets. I guess time will tell if the 66 sticks around long enough. Keep up the progress.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 PM
red66rider
Senior User
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
I'll have to check into there bolt in kits. I looked into another company that does the same thing just have to do the assembling and welding as well. I want to use it but I've always been kind of against the CV swaps due to the wide width and slim selection on wheels and offsets. I guess time will tell if the 66 sticks around long enough. Keep up the progress.
What other company did you look into? I have a 66 as well and after i complete my transmission swap from manual to auto i plan on attacking the suspension so doing research on all the kits. The cv seems the most cost effective but worried about the wide width as well.

To the op...im subscribed to this thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Koomz
Freshman User
So after some leveling and plumb bobbing and mark the centerline out came the old ibeams ..gonna be a sweet drop getting more excited everyday of progress next cut out the crossmember

next to rip out the cross member

you can see the huge lowering drop it will net

Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Koomz
Freshman User
cheers ryder do the research see what suits you cause its really a matter of to each their own ..this is what im after plus im just doing the 8.8 rear to rock a deep dish steelie or stang rims..this one has a cv rear but non the less i love the skinnies up front so again its what your style is ...build it!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did my motor swap like yours but I sub framed it with the ltd front frame,so I had a 460/429 heads plus disk brakes coil springs,i just purchased a 09 crown vic was going to use the frame,but after I drove it ,the 09 is real fast on the high end side,nice project keep us posted,

Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Koomz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sawmaned
i did my motor swap like yours but I sub framed it with the ltd front frame,so I had a 460/429 heads plus disk brakes coil springs,i just purchased a 09 crown vic was going to use the frame,but after I drove it ,the 09 is real fast on the high end side,nice project keep us posted,
oh man feel free to post a pic lol !! awesome Im excited plucking away at it when I find the time.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Koomz
Freshman User
cross member is out :)

some more progress today drilled the rivets out cut the cross member out
got the fuel tank out for relocation kit
next more drilling then mount it up and then deal with the rear suspension

gonna be a sweet drop!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koomz
Hey all I just thought Id share my build along side of all these other inspirational builds going on. Im not a crazy fabber nor do I have thousands in shop tools. Im just your average handyman some of you may cringe at my techniques and Im ok with that lol. I urge your constructive criticism and look forward to this adventure.

I picked up a 1966 ford f100 with no motor or trans out of a barn for 2000. hit it was some sand paper and dropped a 69 t-bird 429 thunderjet and c-6 into it.
I daily drove it like this on manual drums and steering until I tore the studs clean through the hub assembly ...all 5. scary!

So here it is 08 crown vic p71 font subframe swap.. for some maybe not the cheapest and most effective way but for me to get lowered , pwr steering, and brakes I can work with ford ..I know and am comfortable with ford ..jag and whatever else truly kinda scares me.

on to the build.

this is when I was driving it as it was before the breakdown

on the road!

heres when I added some white wall inserts

68 t-bird 429 thunderjet on c6 trans

day 1 start removing tires and brakes since the passenger side removed itself already all by itself lol

note my hub assembly holes for the studs

you can see how much bigger they are on the pass side Im lucky I was just cruising on my street when the tire folded under.

so first on the list of to do's..drain the fluids and tackle the front clip.

08 cv p71 subframe

so it went really well!. I spent 2 weeks just hitting every bolt with liquid wrench before actually starting the work

progress..

cab will need to come off to do the floors and mounts but thats later

so next welded on the temp cross member and ready for a motor pull

so I called my buddy LOL

too easy really again I dont have all the tools but I do have amazing friends and family!

well with the motor out the next step is to mark out the old axles centerlines on the frame rails and pull the old ibeams out

just a progress pic very happy!

cross member shot

another cv subframe shot before tare down

so I got the box off too , I want to have the floors fixed up on that and also deal with the rear axle flip or swap or just hanger kit well see ...still researching on this and pondering..

this is the ed ritchie cv to 66 ford mounting kit complete and ready to rock..

this is the cv to ford 429 motor mounts also from ed ready to rock

here are the trailing arm bushings..they have been cut open and rotated for proper alignment adjustablitly.

so thats where we are at folks... this weekend pulling the ibeams and the cross member..stay tuned!
Koomz
Is that really what non running '66s go for there? Jesus.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Koomz
Freshman User
what are you babbling about diesel? LOL yes this is what going on ...deal with it or move on.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what are you babbling about diesel? LOL yes this is what going on ...deal with it or move on.
No need to be a jackass. It was a simple question, a simple answer would suffice.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Koomz
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
No need to be a jackass. It was a simple question, a simple answer would suffice.
Sorry sounded to me like you had a jackass comment specially with Jesus tacked on the end in my world that English sentence is sarcastic so if your gonna ask a question then ask it!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
...I picked up a 1966 ford f100 with no motor or trans out of a barn for 2000.
Originally Posted by DieselCamper
Is that really what non running '66s go for there? Jesus.
...so if your gonna ask a question then ask it!
He did.

Don't jump to conclusions.

Quick Reply: Another Crown Vic Suspension Swap 66 F100 aka "60sick" Build