6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

High Altitude Areas Regeneration Issues while Towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I only have high lattitude driving. Not many roads here go high enough. I have gone done to 0% in an active regen. I did notice pulling a 9k trailer that it wasn't heavy enough for a passive regen... I still built up soot % when pulling it. Usually I regen a couple of times a tank, unless the regen starts as I pull out of my driveway, I just don't have a long enough drive for a complete regen. FWIW, I have the flash update only. I did get a slight shudder twice in 10k miles during a regen. I have ha several regens since then without a shudder, but it's tough to say it's been fixed since it was an occasional thing. I doubt this helps you answer your question, but sharing my experience so far.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:28 AM
blkout50
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am about the same altitude as you are. Just recently purchased a new 2016 6.7L platinum. Previously had a 2013 6.7L Lariat and a 2012 6.7L XLT before that. My new 2016 definitely regens differently than my two previous trucks. When towing a 12.5k 5er with my 2012 and 2013 they would passive regen to 0% and exhaust tenps would be above 700 degrees on pulls. I watch all temps and DPF stuff on an Edge CTS.

My 2016 only has 3300 miles. I am monitoring with an Edge CTS2 on this truck. I also had the dealer turn on the ghost screen for the Diesel filter. I am getting conflicting data from the CTS2 and the truck diesel gauge. I have been blaming the CTS2 accuracy. Now I am not so sure. Let me explain. Towing my 5er and climbing to 7k ft, my truck gauge % would climb, where as my CTS2 SOOTgpl would drop as well as the DPF load % would drop. My exhaust temps also climb over 800 degrees which would indicate temps inline with passive regens. I haven't figure that one out yet.

Regens seem normal when not towing. Truck gauge would hit 100% and truck would regen. My CTS2 numbers seem wacky when it comes to DPF load %. The SOOTgpl would reach 3.5 when regens occur.

Numbers from 2012 and 2013 for regens were at 100% on DPF load and 2.65 for SOOTgpl.

Not sure if any of this helps you, but I will be watching this thread as something is wacky with my 2016. It is still too new to determine if I actually have a problem or not or if it is my Edge CTS2 (currently waiting on Edge technical services to see if the CTS2 is the problem)

Old 09-05-2016, 02:02 PM
k7lvo
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I only have high lattitude driving. Not many roads here go high enough. I have gone done to 0% in an active regen. I did notice pulling a 9k trailer that it wasn't heavy enough for a passive regen... I still built up soot % when pulling. Usually I regen a couple of times a tank, unless the regen starts as I pull out of my driveway, I just don't have a long enough drive for a complete regen. FWIW, I have the flash update only. I did get a slight shudder twice in 10k miles during a regen. I have ha several regens since then without a shudder, but it's tough to say it's been fixed since it was an occasional thing. I doubt this helps you answer your question, but sharing my experience so far.
My 14 active regens at least once per tank, whether empty or towing, so from 300-500 miles. Soot % builds when towing, even when pulling uphill with the exhaust temps in the same range as during an active regen. Then, there are the active regens that start at the top of a pass. (Had that happen twice in one trip, first coming down the Grapevine, then coming down the Siskiyous) Of course, the temps never got close to the required range until the road leveled out at the bottom.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by blkout50
My CTS2 numbers seem wacky when it comes to DPF load %.
This seems to be a common problem with the CTS and CTS2. I noticed it on the TorquePro also. The %soot climbs too fast and goes to 100% or higher on TroquePro. The CTS/CTS2 stops at 100% and if you shutdown and restart, the %soot might not read at all until the calculated %soot drops to 100% or less.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:32 AM
Farmboy93
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrewer29
Anybody else with a 2nd generation 6.7L engine have the same issues as I am?

When towing anything from a 3,000lb trailer to a 12,000 lb fifth wheel, the engine/DPF builds soot excessively regardless if towed level or on a steep mountain pass! It will do a marginal ACTIVE regeneration when towing level or downhill but NOT when climbing at high altitude 8,000 feet and higher. In fact, on long grades when towing, the DPF will get so clogged that the only way to keep going is to disconnect the trailer and drive to clean (active regen) without the camper/trailer.

Dealer service writer says that towing up a steep mountain pass should clear up exhaust but that is not true for my '15 6.7L. My engine emission DOES NOT do a passive regeneration when towing a heavy load and in fact soot loads VERY quick! The only time my 6.7L does a passive regeneration is up a steep mountain grade WITHOUT a trailer. Driving from Creed, CO to Lake City, CO without a trailer hooked up, we dropped from 1.7 to 1.1 grams/liter and were pleasantly surprised. Hook up the trailer over the same passes in opposite direction, soot climved to over 2.5 grams/liter in a very short period of time.

Need to know if others are having a problem . I hate to say it but '15 to '16 owners are "orphans" because the next year model is tuned for more power.

MEDVED Ford in Castle Rock says nothing wrong with my truck since no check engine lights or codes were able to be pulled and there is nothing they can do. The service writer doesn't appear to take me seriously. I guess they do not have very many informed customers. I'm a former military test pilot, engineer, and a gearhead and I know what I'm talking about, usually ;-)

When I showed service writer the soot loading and recordings we took, he scoffed because the loading were in grams per liter and not in a %. I guess the service manuals and diagnostics use percentages.

High altitude driver's, please share your tow experiences with soot loading and regenerations with 2nd gen 6.7L vehicles.

Side note: Oil level is where it is supposed to be. Oil was changed before our trip and only 12.5 quarts were added with filter which made it almost full on the dipstick. Airfilter was replaced and indicator showed little restriction on old air filter though the bottom pleats were covered in gritty oil....any ideas where that is coming form?

This is my main tow vehicle. It only gets driven when on vacation and once a week for my daily 120 mile roundtrip highway commute at speeds of 75-90 mph in I-25. I do not drive it in the city or for short trips. This is not my first diesel nor is it my first diesel with a DPF. Fuel is not an issue since my wife's diesel has no problems with using the same fuel in her diesel.

Regens unloaded occur every 200 to 250 miles.

When towing regens and attemps occur as often as every 60 miles and one time it tried to regeneration 3 times in a 50 mile stretch that ended up with a check engine light and drive to clean event. Resetting the CEL and unhooking the trailer fixed this problem.

Seriously considering selling this POS and getting a Cummins. Friend bought a Ram Cummins same week I bought my F350. Guess who has more issues? He goes a boat and has a very heavy camper in his bed and his regens are a non-issue.
I am curious what you figured out? I have a 2019 GMC. From illinois and had no issues with my duramax until purchased a place west of colorado springs. Have the same issues as you when go to Lake City with only towing 3000lbs. We have been put inll limp mode. Frankly start have problems as soon as we get to the west side of Kansas. Debating on what to trade for. Dealer has been little to no help.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
I dont know what is in this stuff...but..if DPF clean is what you want...this stuff will do it.

With this stuff my DPF passive regens driving local at 25 mph...and it never passive regens before unless I am on the highway.

it doesnt "add" much lube value...so I would use it with a lube additive like opti XPD or any lube additive that has factual good wear scar ratings.

also...I have heard of folks adding methanal to their diesel for high altitude use...when methanal burns it creates oxygen thereby adding oxygen to the exhuast gases which feeds oxygen to the DPF...BUT...I have also heard that alcohol in general ...and methanal is a form of alcohol...can cuase corrosion.....doesnt seem to stop the methonal injection users but worth noting.

Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2024, 08:00 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
An old thread for sure. Dont think we can figure out the GMC here. As far as mountain towing, as long as you are able to maintain speed and heat then it should burn the soot on the downhill side.

Hot temps up hill will burn but you are also creating soot since your foot is on the floor and lots of boost. then on the downhill side, no to little boost, no fuel and those hot exhaust parts burn the soot faster than you can make it.

A DPF cleaner may help.