6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changing the transmission filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:39 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Got home today and found that the pan with reusable gasket has a drip. Only fix is to remove the pan and check the mating surface for flatness. The gasket with the new pan isn't as good as the old gasket, it's just a flat prices of rubber and at 11lbs is squeezed so that's it's bulged at the screws in several locations.... the location of the drip.
The old gasket is rubber with a good wire frame sandwiched between the sealing material.... it's going back in. The real bummer is that I'm going to dump $40 worth of fluid in the can at Advance!
I used my old gasket. My new pan did not come with a gasket.
Why don't you drain it into a new clean pan and dump it back in after gasket swap?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:58 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Randy, if you don't have a clean bucket to dump the fluid put a HD trash bag in a bucket. But even a new bucket from HD or Lowes would be less expensive.

And where did you get that gasket from?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:01 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I always keep one or two new paint mixing plastic buckets
around just for that type of thing. When they start to show
there age then they get tossed after cleaning so I don't have
the recycle person mad at me for the oil.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 449 Likes on 297 Posts
The real bummer is that I'm going to dump $40 worth of fluid in the can at Advance!
You could always run it through a coffee filter...

Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 PM
Cranemech
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm nearing 30K on my filter and fluid. Picked up the new fluid yesterday, Wolf'shead brand full synthetic, 12 quarts for right at $50 and meets Mercon LV standards.

Jack, we think alike.

I went to the Wolf'shead website and didn't see where they have a transmission fluid that is compatible with the Mercon LV standards, what am I missing? I'm looking to do the filter upgrade and I'm interested in the full synthetic fluid change for $50.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
the new pan included a new gasket, not as good as the old one and upon reuse, seems to have degraded. I'll pick up a HD bucket today... I just hate trying to hold that bucket and dipping ...... Harbor Freight just opened a new place down the street, hand pump for $5... I like excuses for a new tools!

Name:  20160901_071925_zpsbp1owr16.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  357.7 KB

Name:  20160901_072013_zpsvgz0uc0q.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  338.4 KB

That should answer the question about Wolf's Head brand. You'll need 9 quarts.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

the new pan included a new gasket, not as good as the old one and upon reuse, seems to have degraded. ......
Answers to me unfortunately usually incurs more questions.

Some have said a new Ford trans pan does not include the gasket. Was this gasket in the Ford box, and if not where did you get the pan from that included this separate gasket.

The OE gasket, F6TZ7A191A, is not an inexpensive gasket. The aftermarket versions, even from FelPro are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Motorcraft part, so if this was a Ford supplied gasket it's disconcerting to know the product is not as good as the assembly line product.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:36 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
You have to remember, I bought my pan and filter December 2014 and installed Jan 2015. When Money-Pit did the first thread on this way back. I purchased the entire set-up from Tousley Ford, the gasket was included in the box. It looks like a plain jane rubber gasket from flat stock 1/8" rubber material that was stamped to the shape of the pan and holed with a punch. It does fit perfectly, but, when I tighten the bolts to 11lbs, the material now has been squeezed and is protruding from the area between the mating surfaces. Its as if it's been broken down by the fluid over time.... and probably has.

The old gasket, the OEM gasket that I removed with the old pan is wire framed and rubber coated, will not deform with the torque when tightened I'm sure. I'll snap a photo this afternoon for everybody to see.

I'd bet they supplied an aftermarket gasket...received numerous complaints and stopped supplying one with the pan.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
I know what you're talking about with the gasket. It sounds identical to what Fram filter kits came with. Definitely get rid of it.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

That's why OE uses the compression limited gaskets. You can engineer in a crush limitation, and the service manual bolt torque specs are geared to those gaskets. Go aftermarket and you over compress. Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how FelPro gaskets are constructed.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
08 pan

Gentlemen,

Is there a way to tell if you already have a 6.4 pan and filter? I bought an 06 recently and wonder if the previous owner replaced the pan.

Gilbert

Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I know what you're talking about with the gasket. It sounds identical to what Fram filter kits came with. Definitely get rid of it.
Yep.

I installed it with the new pan because it came with the new pan... figured I'd give it a try and had no issues until I re-installed. I did keep the OE gasket knowing it was a better gasket, but didn't have any issue, so I left it alone. Bit me yesterday... besides, I like doing jobs twice

I'll take a picture of the old pan and gasket and the new pan and cheap gasket for comparison today for all to see...to help everybody.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:37 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Amicus
Gentlemen,

Is there a way to tell if you already have a 6.4 pan and filter? I bought an 06 recently and wonder if the previous owner replaced the pan.

Gilbert
Using a straight edge or level, measure from the deepest part of the sump up to the mounting flange.
Old is 4.75"
New 08 pan is 5.00"

Old 09-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Amicus
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Using a straight edge or level, measure from the deepest part of the sump up to the mounting flange.
Old is 4.75"
New 08 pan is 5.00"
Awesome!! Thank you.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:28 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
the new pan included a new gasket, not as good as the old one and upon reuse, seems to have degraded. I'll pick up a HD bucket today... I just hate trying to hold that bucket and dipping ...... Harbor Freight just opened a new place down the street, hand pump for $5... I like excuses for a new tools!

That should answer the question about Wolf's Head brand. You'll need 9 quarts.
Randy: sorry to read of the dang gasket issue... So up front: I don't want to take this thread down yet a whole 'nuther path of an "oil thread", so this is a For What It is Worth comment, and everyone can make their own decision.

In discussions we've had here before on SP or LV or does this other fluid meet the spec, one thing we have split hairs over, is when a product says it "meets or exceeds XXX spec", versus saying: "designed", or: "engineered" "to meet the spec of XXX" -- which many have said is like saying we've made an attempt, but we haven't actually gotten it approved, or tested (or paid the license fee, whatever).

So, it is your transmission and each person's own decision, but for me personally and because our Torqshifts can be picky about the fluid, I'd only run a fluid that specifically states it Meets Mercon SP or LV specifications.

My $.02 worth and I just thought I'd put it out there to you, and take it for what it is worth (which on the internet is likely zero ).

All the best,
Scott

Quick Reply: Changing the transmission filter