1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

How To Remove Front Driver Side Shock on E350 in 15 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
How To Remove Front Driver Side Shock on E350 in 15 minutes

I found a way to remove the dreaded front driver side shock on the E350 that takes about 15 minutes.

I searched online "how to remove front driver side shock from Ford E350" and discovered most E series vans have a small cut out hole located above the front driver side shock for running cable. I pulled the grommet off the hole and was able to get a socket over the nut!

I cannot believe that I missed this grommet so many times. I have 2 of these vans and I ran electrical wiring through smaller holes. This hole give amazing access.

I believe I can have the shock removed and replaced in 30 minutes or less.

Here is the Youtube video that I posted today.

Last night I got so excited about finding this hole about the size of a silver dollar that I ordered Bilstein front and rear shocks on Amazon and they arrived tonight. I sprayed the hardware on the front shocks with WD40 last night and the nuts turn easy. I will get all the tools staged, jack up the front of van and rest it on jack stands. Plan on removing both wheels to make the installation easier. Once I have all the tools in place, I will time the removal and install.

I was ready to pay a shop 2 hours labor for the install of the front shocks. I searched an entire year on how to do this repair. I found 1 youtube video and and 1 short forum posting on the cable routing hole. BINGO!

Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SWEET !!!!!!
I'm gonna go look at my van and look for that hole.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:44 PM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Outstanding!
Thanks for sharing that.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
I replaced both front shocks this afternoon. I removed both wheels as I wanted as much space as possible while working under the van. I am super cautious and used 2 jacks stands and placed the tire under the van for extra protection.

I had the driver side shock pulled out in about 15 minutes. I wonder if Ford made the hole in this location to make getting the shock out easier? An engineer may have slipped this in without telling upper management. The hole is way too big for the small cable that is routed through the hole.

I wrestled with the shock trying to compress it for 45 minutes without success.

I told my son to find the roll of duct tape that we used on our last back packing trip to make insulated cozies for our cook pots.

The first using a single piece of tape broke during the install. On the second try, my 15 year old son stuck 2 pieces of tape together for strength. Noting like working with kids for help!

I compressed the shock and and placed the bottom end of the shock on the center of a double piece of duct tape. My son quickly stuck the tape on each side of the shock tube. Next, he wrapped the tape to secure it tightly to the shock. It held as good as a zip tie and was easier to secure the shock. Too bad I forgot the washer under the rubber bushing! Our 3rd try was a success.

My son video taped the entire process. The second passenger side shock was removed and replaced in 30 minutes.

The driver side shock took me 2 hours to replace because I had no idea how to keep the shock depressed.

Between prep time and clean it, the process took nearly 4 hours. If I do this again, it will take me 2 hours total for the front shocks.

Duct tape is amazing. I have used zip ties in the past as many shocks come packaged zip tied. This was not the case with the Bilsteins.

I climbed under my van and looked at the rear shocks. There is less room to get wrenches around the nuts than the front shocks. However, I don't have to remove the wheels.

I estimate an hour per side.

We will edit and post the video some time this week.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:18 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by vettex2
SWEET !!!!!!
I'm gonna go look at my van and look for that hole.
Me too!! I've been dreading shock replacement.
Noticing lately how mine feels more like a boat rocking on the water.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 AM
gman97005
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that only for E350 or ?

and

What about passenger side ?

Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
GreeVan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gman97005
Is that only for E350 or ?

and

What about passenger side ?
It should be the same on all vans (150, 250,..) they all have the same body, different chassis.

I do not remember being too difficult to remove the shock absorber, but that hole will help for sure. Thanks for sharing

Old 08-28-2016, 05:35 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
passenger side is easy to get to. I have both the E150 & E350. The shocks are more difficult to remove on the E350. The E150 can be done in less than an hour per side without the hole. Not sure if using the hole will help on the E150

Old 08-28-2016, 09:05 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
I drove over the Altamont pass on I580 West in California today and it's the worst freeway section that I have ever drove on in my entire life. My van usually bounces and nearly becomes airborne. I did my first test drive with the Bilstein shocks in the front and this time I was able to drive without fearing death. It's still a bad road.

My tires are worn severely from previous poor alignment and possibly from bad shocks. I cannot say with a degree of confidence that the van drives noticeably different on regular pavement because the tires are so uneven.

The tires probably have only 20k on them. I plan on putting another 5-10k before I buy either the Cooper AT or Michelin ATX.

I replaced the ball joints in February. Installed a camber kit because the camber was off. The tie rods feel a little loose so I may replace the tie rods before I drop $800 on tires. Little by little I am chipping away at the van and making it drive smooth.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:39 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FYI : shocks won't affect tire wear
BJ's and tie rods will

Old 08-28-2016, 09:50 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I climbed under my van and looked at the rear shocks. There is less room to get wrenches around the nuts than the front shocks. However, I don't have to remove the wheels.

I estimate an hour per side.
You probably thought of this but drop the spare.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:03 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jbwheels
You probably thought of this but drop the spare.
never thought about dropping the spare. I will drop it for the rear shocks. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:05 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
BJ's and tie rods will
tie rods may be next. The thought of pulling the tie rod from the pitman arm is getting me tired.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:36 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Start saving your dollars. That long tie rod is expensive.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 AM
KarstenP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BJ's and tie rods will
Shocks do indeed affect tire wear! A bad shock will cause the tire to "jump" up and down and will wash out tire tread badly.
Tie rods for sure also affect tire wear, but I don't know what a good Blow Job has to do with rubber wear SCNR

Quick Reply: How To Remove Front Driver Side Shock on E350 in 15 minutes