General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

National Park Service Turns 100

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i've been to carlsbad caverns! awesome place! but my wife hasn't, so that's another trip i'm formulating. Big Bend, then Carslbad Caverns, then up to Mesa Verde possibly. And if we went that direction, we'd probably spend plenty of time in Coloroad's mountains, then back home. that's a good week to 10-day trip. got some buddies in colorado to see anyways!

Old 07-19-2018, 09:39 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
on the East side of me, i want to do hot springs AR, then visit a buddy in north Mississippi, then ooch around through the smokies and the appalachians.
then there's the northeast trip lol, i'd like to take wife to DC and head up through Pennsy to see another buddy, and then on up through boston. maybe add Niagara to it. might rent a car and fly back.
and then there's the West coast trip! prolly fly out to california and see as many of the forests and yosimete, etc etc etc. and try to drive uo the coast to Wash. state, and see another buddy. then fly back
... lol then there's the yellowstone trip! id like to add in the dakota badlands and mount ruchmore hopefully

Old 07-22-2018, 09:50 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Two more added to the list.It's official.I have started in on visiting Canada's parks next.

43.Fundy National Park
44.Kejimkujik National Park

That was way too hard to do in a 3 day weekend from Maine! Was cool.I got to explore the parks and grab some cool pics but no time to do any real hikes.I was going to shoot the Milky Way from Kejimkujik at both sections of the park.One over the lake and one over the ocean but it was a bust! Before the moon could set to see the stars,the clouds rolled in and that's all she wrote.I drove so far! I checked the weather ahead of time but that's how it goes sometimes.
Pretty cool.It was my first time over to Nova Scotia.Looked and felt just like driving around anywhere in Maine.I just got in.I'm beat!

Looks like my pics are gunna be decent guys.The area is just so rich in my tribes history and culture.Was a great honor to visit more of my ancestral homelands.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
i thought i was going to have a chance to see Canada recently, but it fell through. but at some point, i'd love to!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Nice pics. Your previous night sky shots are great!

Old 07-23-2018, 11:03 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
The more I look,the more national parks I see are within weekend trip reach.Pretty cool.Thanks.I was so bummed when I didn't get to shoot the skies up there.That was a tough drive and I really wanted to make it count.Now I gotta retry lol.Oh poor me and the hard life of a single guy. I'll bring back some great Milky Way shots soon enough.That dang moon phase is gunna be messing me up for a little while again I see but I'll get 'em.The hunt is on.

The lady who searched my car at the border asked if I was a professional photographer with all my gear lol.I said nope,there's a lot because I shoot the night skies.She thought that was pretty cool.Little did I know I wouldn't be using it though. Oh well.I'll get 'em next time.I'll be getting a lot more here from home too.There's still lots of time left to get some great pics of the Milky Way.

This thread title just got me curious too.It appears Canada's National park service is 133 years old.

Banff National Park, Canada (1885) Banff is the oldest national park in Canada. Established in 1885, the park is located in the Alberta Rocky Mountains.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:57 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
2 more! I'm so beat.These long weekend summer trips up to Canada are killing me lol.I got some night shots too.I spent hours shooting into the early morning.Those pics will take time.Way too tired to start on those.

45.Kouchibouguac National Park
46.Prince Edward Island National Park

Kouchibouguac

Prince Edward Island

Oh that's cool.I'll crop out the roof line to building I was next to and have a good pic.

Miles of hiking and hours shooting the Milky Way over light houses,oceans and such.I am wore out.I think I might head to bed already at 8 pm eastern! That's hours of driving back today too.At least I was able to head out on Thursday and drive the rain day.Then I had Friday and Saturday for hikes and pics and both nights for shooting the Milky Way.Then today to drive back.

I went to all 3 sections of PEI NP.Loads of pics.

I went to Skmaqn–Port-la-Joye–Fort Amherst National Historic Site too.Shot a few night panorama's there too.That's all for now.Good night lol.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:55 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Nice job. Did you catch any of the meteor shower?
16 more NP to go.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
I thought I saw a few more shooting stars than normal.What's up with that? 16 more in North America? That's narrowing things down when you put it that way.
Within weekend driving distance,there's still at least 4 more all easy I see around Maine into Canada.

Man,I just slept for 12 hours.I feel better now.I hope my night shots came out ok.These are gunna be tricky cus I shot lighthouses.I fear the glare might of ruined them.I tried to lower my brightness settings and exposure time on my lower pans across but I dunno.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:27 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
2 new National Parks in South Carolina to make 3 in total for the state.
ABC news;
Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie have officially been converted to National Parks after President Trump signed public land bill into law,

Prior to the change, the forts were recognized as National Monuments.

In addition, the Reconstruction Area National Monument in Beaufort has also been declared a National Park.

Before the new bill, the only National Park in South Carolina was Congaree National Park.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/pres...national-parks

That's kinda out of the ordinary for those types of parks to get the "National Park" designation but ok I guess I'll hit 'em up on my return trip back to Maine.

I still have the 3 down in FL to visit and the one on the island up in .......I dunno Michigan is it? Up by the great lakes.Can't let two more get away from me or I'll never get caught back up lol.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
my wife mentioned that her friend is going to El Paso TX for spring break, makes me want to hit up Big Bend and Carlsbad Cavern NPs!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Turd-250
my wife mentioned that her friend is going to El Paso TX for spring break, makes me want to hit up Big Bend and Carlsbad Cavern NPs!
Both top notch parks! If you do a lot of hiking,hike the south rim trail in big bend! Awesome hike! Great views from up there but the whole trail is really cool.
When I got here to Oklahoma it was in the freaking 30's! I thought about just heading down to Big bend and hanging out there for a few weeks but I see the odd weather was going to break here so I stuck it out.

Carlsbad is by far the best cave system I've been to.It's massive and has loads of features.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
oklahoma is crazy right now lol, we've had snow, hail, ice/sleet, thunderstorms, flooding, 10F, 70F, and 80mph winds all in the last 3 weeks hahaha!

Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Turd-250
Post Fiend
good to hear about big Bend, hope i make it there while i can still hike!
yeah man carlsbad is awesome, i went there when i was a kid. my brother was only about 4 at the time, he kept asking about the 'bottomless pig' lolol, he overheard people talking about the bottomless pit

Old 03-14-2019, 10:22 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Yeah what a wicked weird weather cycle.When I passed through the southern states last year out to CA and back,it was the same way.Frost all over the desert plants in NM.Looks like smooth sailing and getting into normal spring here in OK from here on out thank god.Old man winter doesn't want me to escape from his wrath!

I went over to Chickasaw National Recreation Area (what's that,like a protected step below a "monument" I think it is?) the other day when it was nice.I'll upload the pics in a bit.

Here's a sneak peak.This ones called "Little Niagara Falls"

Probably more specifically (I don't actually know lol) the one just below this one.Let me see here.........

Yeah,that's much more like a tiny Niagara lol.I think they would be better served if they just come up with their own name.

Nice park with good Native history.I'll have it up in my red road journey thread at some point.Nice out for a solid week or better.I dunno where I'm going today yet.

Quick Reply: National Park Service Turns 100