1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

NashvegasMatt's build journey 72'

Old 08-31-2016, 09:18 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this digging through google images. Pretty nifty drawing. Looks like I'm on to project #8...or is it #9.hmmmm

302 BELT ROUTING BY MOTOR AND ACC

Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by NashvegasMatt
Found this digging through google images. Pretty nifty drawing. Looks like I'm on to project #8...or is it #9.hmmmm

302 BELT ROUTING BY MOTOR AND ACC

That is a nifty pic but I'm with train. I think the inner belt should be the alternator and the outer one for the P/S. That pic makes it look backwards from our opinion. An easy way to tell would be to look at the crank pulley. The P/S belt was always wider than the alternator's. So whichever sheave is wider on that pulley drives the P/S.

Thanks John for the compliment.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you would be better off finding a double pulley for the alternator and the water pump. Run the front belt around crank, water pump and alternator. Run the read belt around crank and power steering. My 2 pennies.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
That is a nifty pic but I'm with train. I think the inner belt should be the alternator and the outer one for the P/S. That pic makes it look backwards from our opinion. An easy way to tell would be to look at the crank pulley. The P/S belt was always wider than the alternator's. So whichever sheave is wider on that pulley drives the P/S.

Thanks John for the compliment.

Every vehicle I have done a power steering belt on always required taking alternator belt off first.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Every vehicle I have done a power steering belt on always required taking alternator belt off first.
We'll see Brian. I'll bet you a Mountain Dew that when the OP looks at his crank pulley he'll see that the outer sheave is wider. Which would be for the P/S. Note. Different engine but the 72/73 T-Bird 460 that's in my Bump has the alternator belt the farthest one in.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
We'll see Brian. I'll bet you a Mountain Dew that when the OP looks at his crank pulley he'll see that the outer sheave is wider. Which would be for the P/S. Note. Different engine but the 72/73 T-Bird 460 that's in my Bump has the alternator belt the farthest one in.
Im not a betting man but your on. A dew it is.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Carb high idle sit time

Can anyone tell me how long the high idle should run before kicking it down to the low idle on a cold start? I made some adjustments and let it run for about 5-7 minutes. It had not clicked down yet. When I touch the gas pedal even the slightest it does so I believe it's functioning right. Any suggestions?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:49 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
It will high idle until you hit the throttle to release it.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Can anyone tell me how long the high idle should run before kicking it down to the low idle on a cold start? I made some adjustments and let it run for about 5-7 minutes. It had not clicked down yet. When I touch the gas pedal even the slightest it does so I believe it's functioning right. Any suggestions?

The idle will stay high until you touch the gas pedal. It's mechanical not computerized. Sounds like you have a working choke.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:36 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
It will high idle until you hit the throttle to release it.
Thanks for the info guys. That's what I needed to know.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You fixed the choke, on to the next!

Old 09-02-2016, 06:07 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Well as long as my brake spring kit holds. Lol..... I think the next project is actually backtracking to solve the mystery of the opening in the back left (if standing in front of the truck) port in the valve cover which at the moment has a pcv valve in it
This one:

So anyway. Just from looking into schematics and pictures of similar year/genre motors it looks like that should be a breather hose that runs back into carb... Either through the lower port on the carb back, or through a port on the air cleaner. Interesting enough I inspected this air cleaner and it does have a knockout where I can install a fitting to make this work.

Before I do all this I just want to confirm that I'm on the right track here. The reason I'm
Doubting myself is because in some pictures I've seen the hose that comes out of the gas cap go to the top of the air cleaner and some go in the carb spacer.

Does it matter? Thanks in advance as always!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 69pig-penf100
Great looking truck! It looks like it hasn't been overly molested lol The negative battery terminal is looking pretty rough like John said, but as long as the block is grounded to the frame or body it should be good...given that the circuit is closed and roughly all wires are the same gauge. Not sure what's going on with the left side vacuum ports? Other wise good job on the doors very nice!
C'mon That's the obligatory Tenn. Reg. "Fresh air into the engine" system!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Well as long as my brake spring kit holds. Lol..... I think the next project is actually backtracking to solve the mystery of the opening in the back left (if standing in front of the truck) port in the valve cover which at the moment has a pcv valve in it
This one:

So anyway. Just from looking into schematics and pictures of similar year/genre motors it looks like that should be a breather hose that runs back into carb... Either through the lower port on the carb back, or through a port on the air cleaner. Interesting enough I inspected this air cleaner and it does have a knockout where I can install a fitting to make this work.

Before I do all this I just want to confirm that I'm on the right track here. The reason I'm
Doubting myself is because in some pictures I've seen the hose that comes out of the gas cap go to the top of the air cleaner and some go in the carb spacer.

Does it matter? Thanks in advance as always!
Yes it matters....

The PCV system is designed to evacuate crankcase gases and introduce those gases as part of the combustion cycle. The PCV is a check valve and opens based on intake manifold vacuum. Because the carb vacuum is sucking air out of the engine block and heads, it also needs an intake, right? That intake is typically on the driver side valve cover via the oil fill cap/hole.

For simplicity's sake, there are two types of Positive Crankcase Ventilation systems - Closed and Open.

The closed system is picture below with a stock air cleaner. It is considered closed because the breather cap is connected by a hose to the air cleaner and that hose sources filtered air from the clean side of the air filter. There is an enclosed loop all the way around to the combustion cycle.

Your open-element air cleaner housing and PCV can also be configured as a closed system if the air cleaner housing base plate has a knock-out and a fitting installed.

If you live in a dusty area, run a closed system.

An open PCV system uses a breather cap on the driver's side and does not have a hose connecting to the air cleaner. It simply sources the free air.

Name:  pcv_valve-scaled500-1.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  64.1 KB

NOTE: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE PCV IS ON THE PASSENGER OR DRIVER SIDE SO LONG AS THE SYSTEM IS CONFIGURED CORRECTLY. ... I reversed my system because an Edelbrock carb has the PCV hose port on the front of the carb so my PCV valve is on the driver side and the cap on the passenger side is connected to the air cleaner base's fitting - A closed system... This is the reverse of how most Fords are configured.

Here is another image showing the air flow:

Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Thanks for the detailed info HIO.

It sounds like to me that because I'm using an open air element that my gas cap PCV should be running to the knockout on the air cleaner and that the passenger side opening should run to the carb spacer port.

It sounds as if there's 2 right ways to do this, and as long as they are routed correctly achieve a similar goal.

Since the gas cap pcv is already routed the the carb spacer port, it may just be as easy to buy a breather for the passenger side venting and call it a day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NashvegasMatt's build journey 72'