Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2016 F350 Exhaust Filter Overloaded - Service Now

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 08-25-2016, 05:44 AM
jmnorr3
New User
jmnorr3 is starting off with a positive reputation.

So I am traveling from Elizabeth, Colorado up into the mountains towing 12,000 pound trailer. As I am about to cross the Rockies at 65 mph the warning light for the "diesel exhaust filter overloaded, drive to clean" comes on. Then shortly after that a second message, "diesel exhaust filter at capacity, service now" lights up with both the engine light and the wrench light come on. Now it's in limp-mode I turn around and drive to nearest Ford dealer in Salida, CO. They do a manual regen and were able to clear down to 11% and gave me the ok to continue on. On the way home of towing the "drive to clean" warning comes back on, and then the "service now" message reappears. I was able to reset the error with my code reader and get it back to the "Drive to clean" message and would actually attempt to clean then fail again. Reset 3-4 times and finally it cleared. Same thing happened again on a trip to Santa Fe, NM took to dealer there and they said they have seen alot of 2016's coming in from the mountains (not just Fords). They think it might have something to do with alttitude and new emissons. Never happens when I drive to work (30 miles one-way) I do see passive regens happening but only get this while towing. Please help - I didn't pay this much money to have this problem!

Jim

Last edited by jmnorr3; 08-25-2016 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Mike189677
Posting Guru
Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.Mike189677 has a very good reputation on FTE.
This same thing was happening a while back on the 6.7 side maybe a moderator will move this over there for you you aren't the only one having this issue and everyone affected was towing a trailer with a weight pretty close to yours in the same area you were in. If I rember right ford service had chimed in a said they were working on something to fix the issue.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:29 AM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a great reputation on FTE.
Reading many threads like this has for me debunked the prevalent "ya gotta work these trucks and drive it like ya stole it" myth for 2007+ dpf/egr/scr/def etc trucks to function normally. I've read too many threads where a guy is towing heavy and still having problems.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Garyl53
Senior User
Garyl53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '11 F250 towing my 12k 5vr all over the Rockies doesn't do this. I did have an issue with excessive "Drive to Clean" messages if I did numerous short commutes. I changed my route to work to do some highway driving for a 3 or 4 exits instead of backroads and the issue has goner away. I really wish I could get the mod done so I could see the % readout but I have had no luck convincing the dealer to do it.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:22 PM
jmnorr3
New User
Funny thing is that driving around town I see the passive regen pop up and never get the error, not even a drive to clean.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:52 PM
jmnorr3
New User
Sorry Guys, Newbie here.....should have posted in 6.7 forum. Is there anyway a moderator can move it over?

Old 08-26-2016, 04:45 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
Moved to 6.7L PSD forum. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
It is a programming issue that seems to be isolated to the '16 model year as far as I know.

I'd see if there is a new flash out there.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:49 PM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I feel your pain, my truck just started doing this with all the local driving around schools during the end of the summer Construction most less than 26 miles round trip. Try this the next time you see the exhaust cleaning message if you catch it drop the transmission down to 4th gear and let the RPMs run at 2000 you'll see how fast regen will get done I've managed to complete exhaust cleaning less than 15 miles averaging 45 to 50 miles an hour on back roads then I'll let it go to 5th gear and stomp on it a few times and let it really blow out the filter lol. If I'm hauling my double axle dump trailer I never had this issue but running empty with just tools is not enough for a diesel to work and get hot you really do have to drive it hard once in a while thanks to the EPA bull**** hope that helps remember if you can drop a few gears once in awhile and let the engine get hot won't hurt a thing just don't go 70 in 4th gear LOL

Old 08-27-2016, 11:42 AM
jmnorr3
New User
Well I called Ford and opened a case. I actually got an email. So we will see what if anything happens now.

This email is to confirm your recent contact to Ford Motor Company regarding your 2016 F-SERIES SUPER DUTY.
You will receive contact from our regional Customer Service Manager (CSM) within 1 business day to introduce themselves and develop an action plan to address your concern.
Your case number, along with the contact information for the regional Customer Service Manager is listed below.
I think this issue has to do with towing at altitude as I get the "Drive to Clean" while I am cruising at 65mph with the trailer. Must be something to do with back pressure on DPF because of soot buildup but for some reason (altitude I'm thinking) it is not registering enough back pressure to statrt an Active regen. Sounds like it could be a somewhat simple fix.

Jim

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM
K A M
Senior User
K A M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question. Are you towing with the cruise on? If so turn it off on a climb. When it starts pulling hard and cannot make any more power let up on the accelerator about every 5-8 seconds just enough to get your boost gauge to move then you can get back on it. If you keep the gauges fluctuating slightly the WRENCH and limp will not come on. This is what I had learned to do on my work truck to avoid it. The dealer could not find a problem for it.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:40 AM
jmnorr3
New User
Hey guys thanks for the inputs. Yeah it sounds like a flash problem but nothing so far from Ford. I do have a case open and a CSM is suppose to contact me on Monday. KAM, I do use cruise at times and I will try what you said.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:28 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by jmnorr3 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the inputs. Yeah it sounds like a flash problem but nothing so far from Ford. I do have a case open and a CSM is suppose to contact me on Monday. KAM, I do use cruise at times and I will try what you said.
I use cruise all the time pulling my 31' 5er in the Eastern Sierras and have never had to do anything like that. In fact it will downshift itself if needed. The only diff. I see between us is mines a 2015 and yours a 2016. Good luck with it. Guess it could be a software glitch.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:30 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
cruise control has nothing to do with it.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:43 AM
K A M
Senior User
K A M is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well on my truck it did. It (cruise control) tried to hold it at full throttle even after it down shifted. Just a lil fluctuation in engine rpm every few seconds like I described would stop the WRENCH SYMBOL and limp mode from occurring. If it occurred on a busy section it would slow down fast because of no power. If I was able to I would put it into neutral as I coasted and turn off ignition then restart engine quickly and it would clear it. This was dangerious because the steering would lock when off. You saying cruise had nothing to do with it but it held trying to keep a speed that you have set. The same would happen if I would hold the accelerator trying to make the same speed. If the engine was making max power with no fluctuation for approximately 10 second it would happen.
This same truck had problems such as driver seat would move back and fort on its own I just figured it was a short in the seat switch. Another is the air condition and radio would shut off as your driving. To clear this problem I would have to pull over, put into park, take seatbelt off, turn ignition off, remove key, open drivers door, close drivers door, insert key, then restart. Took a while to figure this process out. Everyone who road with me thought that the truck was haunted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 F350 Exhaust Filter Overloaded - Service Now

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: