Computer Chips & Tuners  

SCT and their Unmarry price

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:07 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SCT and their Unmarry price

Being a computer guy, I was more than a little unimpressed with the $150 fee to unmarry a device. The one I have has been used once, according to the device with all of the unlocks still available.

SO I call them to ask what I am paying for, and they say just the unlock...Now they will send it back with tunes for my truck so in essence(in my view), I am paying for the tunes, and the unlock is free.

However, they will NOT state it that way.They insist that the price is just for the unlock, but if that were the case it should still have the original tunes.

Am I the unreasonable one here?
Not to mention the turn around is 7-10 days. This is a long time for a few minutes on the bench.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:06 PM
Derrick Perez
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems kind of expensive and time consuming, but the personalized tunes for your truck is nice and probably cost a bit on its own..
i had to do the same thing with my edge cts tuner and they did it over the computer in 5 minutes and waved to 100$ fee and did it for free. was very pleased with the customer service.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Tarster
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a x4 that was... good until I updated the firmware using their software on my pc, and then after that the bluetooth wouldnt work while in the car. I sent it back to them, 65$ later they sent it back to me in a new case, with the invoice saying "replacement device" the guy on the phone that I talked to said he never had heard of that happening before. I immediately sold it.. never will buy a wireless one again.

150$ does sound extra high as they just re-flash the programmer, or hook it up and literally just flip the bit back. Its a stinking scam to get them un-married I swear.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:14 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Well, I got charged the 150 today, but no word from them on whether they shipped it back. I wish I would have just sent it to 5Star..But it seemed to me it HAD to go to SCT, but evidently I was wrong. Altho everyone seems to like charging the $150.... It should be more like $25 bucks and hook it up online. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:15 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Got the receipt today via email( The charges hit Friday, and they were "kind" enough to ship the X4 and email me the rcpt today) They got the X4 last Wednesday. They shipped it FedEx ground today, evidently they are too lazy to use Priority Mail(unless there is something I don't know).....$6-10 bucks and 3 day shipping. I will be switching to 5 Star when I can afford it. I assume they are a tad more customer friendly. Every email was either answered with one or two words, and they didn't answer the email I sent this AM, they just emailed me the rcpt and shipping notification.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Got the X4 back today and married to the X.

Curious as to the diff between a stock/tow tune in the X4 and a custom tune. Aren't they both different than the original on the X?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:10 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Ended up buying the performance tune from 5 Star, and so far, so good! The SCT stock tune is worthless. Transmission still shifted HARD( and a leap/lunge) into drive with a lead foot. With the 5 Star performance tune, the shifting is smooth no matter how hard or soft I step on it. I will need more miles to make sure, but it is night and day so far.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyG
Ended up buying the performance tune from 5 Star, and so far, so good! The SCT stock tune is worthless. Transmission still shifted HARD( and a leap/lunge) into drive with a lead foot. With the 5 Star performance tune, the shifting is smooth no matter how hard or soft I step on it. I will need more miles to make sure, but it is night and day so far.
Appreciate your feedback and support CharlyG! Great to hear you are enjoying your tunes!

Old 12-01-2016, 10:38 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
I had my first SCT(and most expensive) X4 stolen, so I got another off ebay. I put in the tune that came with it(Non SCT tune), but will re -load the 5 Star tune today.

Does anyone happen to know if our programmed in tunes get lost when you disconnect battery?

Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
PS - the answer is no