1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

wiring harness replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:43 PM
scottlathrop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring harness replacement

are there suggestions on manufactures for replacement harnesses. my 1966 f100 has an 1980ish 302- but no new electronics. Existing wiring cracked somewhere in the original under dash loom and shuts down the entire system-- shake it and it works. Its time for replacement. American autowire sounds good but matches GM colors. is this going to be a problem? any help appreciated
Scott

Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
These are great kits: https://www.ronfrancis.com

Old 08-22-2016, 03:15 PM
svolpone
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i used the american autowire. it was ok for me on my 64 f100. i have a 74 302 in mine. and if you need the 90 dollar crimper let me know. i'll sell it to you for $50. i don't need it anymore.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Purchased individual harnesses by American Auto Wire thru Mr. Mustang, they no longer carry them; very pleased, wire color codes, and connectors were identical to the original. Unplug original and plug in new.

Posting link to Mac's just as an example, what got my attn., Mac's list individual harnesses; I would assume if by the Ford P/N; i.e., C5TZ-14290, headlight harness, it should have the same wire codes and connectors as original. If considering suggest contact to confirm who the manufacturer is, whether the harness has the same connectors, and wire color code as original.

Search Results For: Wire Harness For All Years And Models Parts & Accessories

What harnesses are you looking for?

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM
scottlathrop
Senior User
Thanks all for your suggestions.
The Ron Francis seems similar to the Painless unit. it appears to require that each wire needs to have a connector crimped or soldered on to make a connection. and runs about $400-$470. The American auto wire unit seems to have all the connectors installed and its a "plug-on" and runs about $680 Why do you need the crimp tool that was recommended in other articles?
I'm an old guy non mechanic - with bifocals and that is irritating trying to focus on the pin then away to the wire to crimp then back to close work. So i'm trying to justify the Americanautowire extra cost
Dave and Steve-how long did the job take you with Autowire system
Thunderkiss- do you have a time for the complete job?
Since all wires are original and been modified many times, I plan to do a complete job so I know what I have.
Scott

Old 08-23-2016, 12:53 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The dash harness was not available when I replaced the harnesses. I only replaced the 'alternator', 'headlight', and 'taillight' harness. Except for the alternator harness, which I ended up removing, with the other 2 it was a matter of unplug the old and plug in the new. The taillight harness I purchased could be use for the short, or long bed, so rather than cut and splice, I ended wrapping the excess and using plastic ties to set aside; otherwise, don't believe I spent more than a couple hours at the most?

The dash harness was another matter, I removed it and made necessary repairs. May want to consider adding a dab of dielectric grease to the connectors, and clean any grounding points while installing the replacements. In event decide to purchase the taillight harness may want to consider cutting 2"-3" piece of hose, or something similar to protect the wiring when running thru brackets, cavities, etc.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:57 PM
scottlathrop
Senior User
thanks dave

Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottlathrop
Since all wires are original and been modified many times, I plan to do a complete job so I know what I have.
Scott
I did a full rewire, stem, dash to stern. I wasn't counting, but I reckon I spent about 25 hours? Making a bracket and welding the fuse block in a nice spot took a couple hours in itself. It's fairly tedious work, but the RF kit didn't make things any harder. The instruction booklets for each section are very step by step, so as a non-mechanic myself, I made my way through and did a nice job of it.

Here are some general before (Holy rat's nest!) and afters, and a pic of the kit before install:

Attached Images         
Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM
scottlathrop
Senior User
that's great Thunder - I sorta thought that it was more than a day job but would like to plan if I go ahead
Appreciate the response

Scott

Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
Added some pics above for a real world look at what I was dealing with. As I said, it's tedious, especially for non-mechanics, so it takes a longer because you have to step away from it regularly. haha Being mildly OCD/**** retentive is probably a plus

Old 08-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Pruitt66
Freshman User
Thanks all for your suggestions.
The Ron Francis seems similar to the Painless unit. it appears to require that each wire needs to have a connector crimped or soldered on to make a connection. and runs about $400-$470. The American auto wire unit seems to have all the connectors installed and its a "plug-on" and runs about $680 Why do you need the crimp tool that was recommended in other articles?
I'm an old guy non mechanic - with bifocals and that is irritating trying to focus on the pin then away to the wire to crimp then back to close work. So i'm trying to justify the Americanautowire extra cost
Dave and Steve-how long did the job take you with Autowire system
Scott

Not sure why but if you order the American Autowire kit from Summit it is cheaper than ordering directly from the manufacturer.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:37 AM
scottlathrop
Senior User
tanks for the pics thunder looks like original wiring in your truck was done by my PO
looks like you bypassed the 5 volt cvr on the dash and upgraded the lights and perhaps gauges on the dash wiring I was wondering what happens there

thanks Pruitt66 I hadn't noticed that

Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Thunderkiss65
Junior User
Yep, AutoMeter for oil, fuel, water and volts. Quality and good looks.

tanks for the pics thunder looks like original wiring in your truck was done by my PO
looks like you bypassed the 5 volt cvr on the dash and upgraded the lights and perhaps gauges on the dash wiring I was wondering what happens there

thanks Pruitt66 I hadn't noticed that

Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM
scottlathrop
Senior User
thunderkiss, In your pictures where the dash is out, all the wiring is done and goes to a few connectors. Is this the "Quick disconnect" add on option, or are the connectors part of the "Bare Bonz" system???
I'm trying to order this and not sure what I see

Thanks, Scott