Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Reload this Page >

The mysterious case of the disapearing blue oval

Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150

Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 AM
soundwave
Elder User
soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.

As time goes on, I'm noticing more and more F150's in the 2004-2014 range, missing the blue oval Ford logo on either the grille or the tailgate. In its place is a sliver/chrome oval where the blue oval had been, sometimes with remains of blue spots on it. It's as if its been peeled off or stolen. Ive only noticed this in the last few years, as if it just started happening. Almost as if theres an outbreak of disease that affects the blue oval and it only became contagious in the last two years.

One of the blue ovals disappeared from one of my rims and I went to the dealer about it. I paid $80 to replace the hubcap because I like to keep my truck looking as new as possible and it was really bothering me. I had to buy the entire cap and not just the blue oval itself. Then two months ago while getting an oil change, the service department brought me my truck when the service was done. As they pulled it up to the waiting room for me, I noticed another blue oval was missing from one of the rims. Since I already shelled out $80 for a hubcap, I immediately noticed it was missing. apparently, when they were rotating my tires the blue oval decided to jump ship. He said when they took my tires off to rotate them, the blue oval fell off and went bouncing away and they couldn't find it. I complained and the service man in the quick lube oil change building ran to the main service center and got me another blue oval and stuck it on. .

So, how can one prevent from this happening again? I don't want to lose the blue ovals from my grille or tailgate, or shell out another $80 for a hubcap.

Thanks for reading my long winded post!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:34 AM
WXboy
Postmaster
WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.WXboy has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like people are stealing them. Likely to resell them or make items with them that they can then sell.

I'd set up a hidden camera, catch them, and beat them within an inch of their lives. But, I realize that's overkill. My apology. I just hate thieves.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:07 PM
johnday
Posting Guru
johnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant futurejohnday has a brilliant future
A friend of mine has a '10 FX4. The Blue Oval on his gate just fell off. I hope my '12 fares better. I don't know what you could do to prevent it.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:13 PM
awq134
Elder User
awq134 has a good reputation on FTE.awq134 has a good reputation on FTE.awq134 has a good reputation on FTE.
My 2010 has lost all 4 of it's blue ovals on the hub caps and both the front and rear ones are starting to chip/peel around the edges. The wheel ovals would normally bother me, but the paint on my aluminum wheels is so badly pitted/corroded that I don't really care any more. I suppose i'm lucky that my 2010 spent it's first 4 years of it's live in the south away from all the road salt they use here in Ohio. I can say that my truck looks better than most trucks it's age who started life in the north.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I see a ton of trucks where the oval is just plain faded or the chrome surround is chipped / cracked. The oval on my grill was replaced under warranty because of the chipped chrome.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 AM
frakchered
Freshman User
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too, have noticed the chrome oval look, as I had a 06 Super Duty with this issue. As far as your hub cap issue, I know pending how many times you have your tires rotated and getting new ones mounted, the plastic wears with age and I have seen them loose in the bore of the rim. I took duct tape and electrical tape to help with fit better, but still you'll end up taking it to a shop where things happen and get misplaced.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:38 PM
kpchambers
Junior User
kpchambers is starting off with a positive reputation.
The ovals on my wheels and tailgate are fine, but the oval on my grille is half silver/half blue. I guess I just drive so fast it blows the paint off of it.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:49 PM
frakchered
Freshman User
frakchered is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kpchambers View Post
The ovals on my wheels and tailgate are fine, but the oval on my grille is half silver/half blue. I guess I just drive so fast it blows the paint off of it.
LOL, yeah you know they make these things so dang fast these days. I will let you know if the paint ever blows off mine!

Last edited by frakchered; 08-20-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I been drinking, it's ok, lol
Old 08-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Pgh Rebel
Posting Guru
Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Pgh Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
I know I had to replace the grille emblem on my previous 2006 truck because the laminating started to flake off within just a few short years. After wondering what to about it for nearly 9 years, I found a replacement on ebay that was supposedly made better than the original so that that would not happen again. A year later I sold the truck. I hope the next owner keeps it up as well as I did.
So far have not had the same issue with any of the emblems on my 2012 truck. Knock on wood!