1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

passing along our "wisdom" to the next generations

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:44 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
passing along our "wisdom" to the next generations

my grandson was helping me with an oil change in my F1. he held the funnel while i wrestled the jug of oil under the hood. he said do, you have to measure it? no, it takes 4 quarts. finish up, check the oil and it's way over. oops, jug was a 5 gallon jug. proceeded to show him how to open the oil drain and let enough to get it back down to 4 quarts. hope he learned something from that. all good.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
???? Your truck should take 5 qts ??? What markings are on your dipstick, right around the Full mark? Are you running a truck oil pan?

Good for you getting the boy involved! It may come back to bite you, LOL

Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I don't know oil capacities' but I do know something about memories I treasure every memory of my grandfather. I'm sure your grand son will not only remember the day, but treasure it as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I really think its important to pass our knowledge and hobbies on to the next generation.
I see the pride in my sons eyes when somethings hard and they finally get it done. I remember when transporting my grill to a cookout we lost a bracket for it and i was mad. My son said why you upset that is easy to make and in 5 mins he was done. Priceless

Old 08-18-2016, 08:16 AM
tnunisaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of all, Just thank the lord you have a grandson to share it with. Some of us can only wish we had.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agree with all. And I wish I had a grandson or two! (pretty much just me around here)

I remember my first 'real' mechanical experience... my grandparents had a farm and my grandfather had just repaired a flat tire for one of the hay wagons and told me to put it on the wagon. I placed it on the hub and began putting the lug nuts on with the cones facing out. My Uncle Paul walked by, watched me for a moment and asked, "They look better that way, don't they?" He then explained the purpose of them being installed with the cones in. I didn't realize it until many years later how he took the time to figure out why I was doing it the way I was. So, in his own way, he had given me two lessons for the price of one.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:30 AM
Overkill-F1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was quite young (9 or 10 yrs old), my Dad was putting the pistons into the block of his '54 Oldsmobile. He was doing a ring job with the block still in the car.
He asked me to lay under the car and guide the con rods past the crankshaft while he was pushing the pistons down into the cylinder bores. It was my first auto work.
He also did woodworking and got me into his shop often to help.
My two main interests/hobbies are woodworking and automobile. I owe it all to my Dad.
...Terry

Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
my engine is a '53 EAB car engine, with original oil pan, orig dip stick. i'm quite sure the capacity is 4 quarts plus whatever goes in the filter. my first real auto exp was when my father assisted my friend and i do a valve job on a flat 6 , 1950 plymouth. we were 16, he took the head bolts out, we took the valves out, took them to a garage to have them reground. replaced 4 valves, put them back then dad torqued down the head. he advised us, we did some work during the day, he helped us at night. the car ran great until my friend clipped the back corner of a semi-trailer with it.

Last edited by r_reed; 08-19-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: corrected mistake as pointed out by stubbfarmer, thanks
Old 08-19-2016, 08:08 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When my son was 4 I had him help me change the oil in the riding mower. We used my little adjustable wrench to pull the plug and drain the oil. The next day after work I hopped on and was going to mow and noticed the wrench laying on the running board. Picked it up and stuck it in my back pocket. About half way through the mow the engine seized. Couldn't figure out why till I noticed the oil plug was gone. The little guy must have been wrenchin' while I was at work. Kind of glad too cuz I didn't really like that mower much.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM
stubbfarmer
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r_reed
my engine is a '53 EAB car engine, with original oil pan, orig dip stick. i'm quite sure the capacity is 4 gallons plus whatever goes in the filter. my first real auto exp was when my father assisted my friend and i do a valve job on a flat 6 , 1950 plymouth. we were 16, he took the head bolts out, we took the valves out, took them to a garage to have them reground. replaced 4 valves, put them back then dad torqued down the head. he advised us, we did some work during the day, he helped us at night. the car ran great until my friend clipped the back corner of a semi-trailer with it.
4 gallons would be 16 quarts. That seems like 3 or 4 oil changes to me.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by toby tough
When my son was 4 I had him help me change the oil in the riding mower. We used my little adjustable wrench to pull the plug and drain the oil. The next day after work I hopped on and was going to mow and noticed the wrench laying on the running board. Picked it up and stuck it in my back pocket. About half way through the mow the engine seized. Couldn't figure out why till I noticed the oil plug was gone. The little guy must have been wrenchin' while I was at work. Kind of glad too cuz I didn't really like that mower much.
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

That is a great story!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My oldest grandson 14

my next grandson 12

Teaching them young about body and paint work on old iron . 1965 scout hood for a friend of mine.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:29 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
ibuildmyown, very nice, we will always need autobody techs as long as people smash up cars. a good career choice or hobby.