Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 with Banks turbo and Pac-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Komatsu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 with Banks turbo and Pac-Brake

Doing injector cups, head gaskets, y-pipe dounuts and valves on a 2000 250 with the 7.3 I usually work on these in school buses or larger trucks. This truck has the Banks turbo with the Pac Brake. Y pipe seems to be against firewall do I need to pull cab to remove turbo and re-install. any advice would be great

Old 08-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
No way. No need to pull the cab for really anything on these trucks. You should be able to loosen the v band clamp that connects the turbo and collector. Same thing for the v band clamp that holds the downpipe to the turbine. After that, it is just two bolts that hold the turbo to the pedestal. Pretty easy to do, and you only need to remove the intake spyder.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 08-16-2016, 06:22 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
For that much effort I'd bail on the up pipe donuts and suggest IH or Dorman bellowed up pipes, far better design. Donuts are guaranteed to wear out again, bellowed can last as long as the rest of the truck.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:36 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I second that bellowed up -pipe recommendation.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
I agree, bellowed up-pipes are a permanent solution. If you do end up using donuts though, the best option is the Victor Reinz F17250. They crush easier than the blue Felpro donuts.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Justin,
I want to recognize your willingness to take time to participate in the forum. Many "sponsors" are on various forums in name only, so that they get inexpensive relationships with future customers. I do not have any issue with that way of operating--they pay for that privilege.

You (and many other professionals) do bring frequent educational insight to those of us that really rely on that input so that we can help each other and our friends who have these trucks.

Also, there are many other (the word amateur does not do them justice) members who have learned about these trucks and spent untold hours contributing to this forum. I thank you for the wisdom and unique solutions that many times far exceed the knowledge many pro's should have. This forum and others like it make it possible to drive the most reliable light truck with the heart of medium duty diesel.

Thanks guys!
Larry

Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
what is the typical service life of the OEM silicon boots on the turbo ?

Do the ones at the head or intercooler last longer ?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by retiredsparky
Justin,
I want to recognize your willingness to take time to participate in the forum. Many "sponsors" are on various forums in name only, so that they get inexpensive relationships with future customers. I do not have any issue with that way of operating--they pay for that privilege.

You (and many other professionals) do bring frequent educational insight to those of us that really rely on that input so that we can help each other and our friends who have these trucks.

Also, there are many other (the word amateur does not do them justice) members who have learned about these trucks and spent untold hours contributing to this forum. I thank you for the wisdom and unique solutions that many times far exceed the knowledge many pro's should have. This forum and others like it make it possible to drive the most reliable light truck with the heart of medium duty diesel.

Thanks guys!
Larry
Thanks for the kind words Larry!

I, like most others on here, started with very little knowledge on the 7.3L when I first bought one. Information from 7.3L gurus on these forums has taught me more about this platform than just about any other resource. That, mixed with physically diving into the truck/engine/trans/computer to see how things work, leads to quite a knowledge base. You should see the 7.3L folder on my computer. More pictures and documents than I can count.

I really enjoy surfing these forums, and am fortunate enough to have that included in my job description. Win win for me.

Thanks again, and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com