1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice on 6V vs 12V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
You should try polarizing the generator before shooting the parts cannon. You do this by disconnecting the Field wire at the regulator, and momentarily flashing it on the Battery regulator terminal.
No luck after polarizing.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wmcewan
Looks like only $50 for a regulator Maybe a lot more for a generator.... Ugh
Is that price for some modern crapola import though? Make sure, if using a generator, to use good old U.S.A. Autolite regulators, NOS or maybe used. I like to couple a new regulator with new/rebuilt starter. Maybe Standard products or something like that is OK too, if nothing else.

Old school 50s and 60s examples, even used, would be better than any modern reproduction. The track record of el-cheapo electrical parts is not good and this is no place to skimp.

One suggestion I've heard that makes sense, (if there's still a motor repair shop in your area) is drop both the regulator and generator off together and let them handle it, they can spool up the generator and adjust voltage and current regulation and the rest of it to spec just to be sure.

Six volt generators from the usual suspects aren't cheap, but a lot of that price is for convenience if nothing else. Generators are just barely a step above stone knives and bearskins, you should be able to pick up a couple used carcasses cheap online or locally and rebuild them yourself. Remember everybody modifies to take alternators. Once they are setup right they seem to last pretty good, I was never told they were a problem so I never worried about it, and never really had any. I replaced one after 25k miles and the brushes looked like they had plenty of life left.

The regulator is key though, and also to make sure everything has good solid grounds. Running Halogens and they work fine, and my night vision isn't what it used to be.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:02 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You have this option available (not sayin' you have to get this one) from many sources, and it eliminates the voltage regulator issue altogether.
6 Volt Alternator | eBay

PS: There is one listed for $55.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:28 AM
wmcewan
Senior User
Thanks a lot for all the great info Tedster.
I need to spend a few days researching options:

1. Test regulator and rebuild generator. (doesn't look like there's any electric motor shops near me willing to do anything non-industrial)
2. Do the full 12V conversion, put my 12v battery back in and ditch the 6v
3. 6V alternator (thanks MixerMan, didn't even know that was an option)

Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
You don't want an electric motor shop, you want an auto electric shop.

You might try manually closing the cut-out relay on the regulator (behind BAT terminal) and rev'ing the engine, see if system voltage increases. If it doesn't it usually means the generator is dead.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:10 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's a great shop up here in Williamsport. Hovey's Auto Electrical Services.
The place is kind of old but that guy is old time good! He prefer's your "old" regulator instead of getting a new one. Took my 6V starters (2 of them) and 6V generators(2 of them) and my original regulators. Rebuilt all of them and painted the casings (asked first but I said definitely). I think the total bill was $280 or so and these are like NOS now.

Thanks a lot for all the great info Tedster.
I need to spend a few days researching options:

1. Test regulator and rebuild generator. (doesn't look like there's any electric motor shops near me willing to do anything non-industrial)
2. Do the full 12V conversion, put my 12v battery back in and ditch the 6v
3. 6V alternator (thanks MixerMan, didn't even know that was an option)

Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bhalemail
There's a great shop up here in Williamsport. Hovey's Auto Electrical Services.
The place is kind of old but that guy is old time good! He prefer's your "old" regulator instead of getting a new one. Took my 6V starters (2 of them) and 6V generators(2 of them) and my original regulators. Rebuilt all of them and painted the casings (asked first but I said definitely). I think the total bill was $280 or so and these are like NOS now.
We got a guy here in Lock Haven that over the last 17 years has rebuilt the starter and generator for my 54 and the starter for my 70 F350.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:16 AM
wmcewan
Senior User
I found a place in the Collegeville area called "Trappe Auto Electric" willing to do the work.

Sounds like it's going to be ~$200 to get the gen and reg back up to snuff.

I am going to take the weekend to think about this option vs. carrying out the 12V conversion.

Thanks for all the advice

Old 08-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
I think it will largely depend on how stock and original you want to keep the truck. I was at the same threshold with the mixer truck, but knowing that I could improve the reliability while at the same time add more functionality and amenities (electric air compressor and vacuum pumps, linear actuators for the mixer, air ride seat, etc) by going with an updated 12 volt system. I wanted to keep it as stock and original as possible, but the engineer inside me just couldn't leave it alone. That's my story. Pics 'n stuff in my albums.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:39 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I've always wondered if the 6v/(+) alternators can be changed to a 12v/(-) by changing out the diode/brush/reg pack. That would be ideal as far as future options. A 6v alternator would solve many of the stock system's ills as long as the wiring is in good shape.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:29 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I found a place in the Collegeville area called "Trappe Auto Electric" willing to do the work.

Sounds like it's going to be ~$200 to get the gen and reg back up to snuff.

I am going to take the weekend to think about this option vs. carrying out the 12V conversion.

Thanks for all the advice
This brings back memories. My college girlfriend was from eagleville on the Ridge Pike between Trappe and Trooper!

My advice on 6 or 12 volt? If you plan on a stock simple truck without a lot of accessories, stereo, air conditioning, etc, 6 volt will serve you fine if you have the proper size cables and the ends are clean and bright. Both my trucks are 6 volt.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 PM
wmcewan
Senior User
Done!

I ended up sticking with the 6V +

"Trappe Auto Electric" turned out to be a good stop.

He rebuilt the generator and replaced the regulator with a new unit (made-in-USA).

$200 in total.

Got it all back together today, and it all seems to work very well.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

That's good Bill! But you got to paint the new voltage regulator cover black! That blue sticks out like a sore thumb!😀

Old 09-04-2016, 11:16 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by abe
That's good Bill! But you got to paint the new voltage regulator cover black! That blue sticks out like a sore thumb!😀
Motorcraft Blue, no problem!

Glad there's a happy ending to the story! As usual, just a matter of slapping down the plastic...

Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Great news Bill. Glad you got her going right.

Quick Reply: Advice on 6V vs 12V?