1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Very Strange Transmission Behavior. 3 In One Year.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 08:49 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Very Strange Transmission Behavior. 3 In One Year.

Last year I did some major work on my 02. Painted it, new injectors, 38R, and once it was back together, the transmission went south in a month. Got a Ford reman HD4R100. Shortly after the install, when in reverse, the torque convertor would lock up when you stepped on the throttle. As soon as you let off the throttle, it would disengage. Thinking it was a tranny issue, got another one from Ford. This one has been in the truck for about 9 months. And it seemed fine until about a month ago. It started doing the torque convertor lockup thing in reverse like the last one, but not as often. Then last weekend it did it everytime I put it in reverse. Then yesterday, while pulling away from a traffic light, there was a loud bang, and lost power in the transmission. Once stopped, I found out it has manual 1st and 2nd, but nothing else. No drive, overdrive, or reverse. I personally believe something electrical led to these issues, and ultimately, the transmission failure. I know the truck is not stock, but I do not run it hard very much. When it went bang yesterday, I was not being hard on it. Any ideas as to where to look at what is causing this? Thanks, John

Old 08-12-2016, 07:31 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Guys, I'm open to any ideas. I guess nobodys familiar with this issue.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
My guess is that the bang was the overdrive one way clutch breaking. I don't think anything electrical caused that.

The stalling in reverse problem is usually caused low fluid pressure. Low trans fluid, loosing internal filter, worn pump, or internal leaks all can cause this.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
It doesn't stall unless I hold my foot on both the gas pedal and the brake at the same time. It literally feels like letting the clutch out on a manual in reverse, and takes off quite fast. You would not want to be backing up to a trailer!

When the first one acted up, what you suggest was happening, and was why Ford did honor their warranty. I have a feeling this time they will fight it. Last time they fought it.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:44 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Do you tow? I've heard of people burning their TC backing up trailers up steep grades.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Do you tow? I've heard of people burning their TC backing up trailers up steep grades.
I've heard that too. I tow very little, and usually not much when I do.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
It doesn't stall unless I hold my foot on both the gas pedal and the brake at the same time. It literally feels like letting the clutch out on a manual in reverse, and takes off quite fast. You would not want to be backing up to a trailer!
You're describing what happens when the torque converter clutch applies when it should not. That could be caused by low fluid pressure. Low trans fluid, loosing internal filter, worn pump, or internal leaks all can cause this.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:43 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
OK. Thanks for the responses. Something tells me that I will be eating this one!

Old 08-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Didn't somebuddy on here have to have there PCM flashed when they went to the HD model trans? I was thinking Tugly had that problem but not real sure. Maybe that's it, worth looking into.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:08 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Didn't somebuddy on here have to have there PCM flashed when they went to the HD model trans? I was thinking Tugly had that problem but not real sure. Maybe that's it, worth looking into.
I remember something about that too. Don't remember who though. I will inquire about that.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:13 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Well, finally got around to pulling the transmission Monday. Pulled it apart and found a bearing in a few pieces as well as a drum broke in two. The friend whose shop it is sitting, has not been in touch with Ford on this yet. The clutch pkgs all looked good. But there was a lot of sediment on the magnet for only 10,000 miles. And the fluid was burnt, but never saw 200 degrees. I have decided that if I go back with the HD4R100, I will also go back to stock injectors and turbo.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Why!? What size sticks do you have and why would the turbo be a problem!?
This sounds like a Ford problem and I do not believe you should be eating anything!
Let's do a comparison you vs Tugly because he's one that everyone thinks of and knows. His truck iirc is around a sold 400-450 hp. Your truck has X hp for now. He's gone how long on his HD4R100 and iirc had some issues with it awhile back but had it for I want to say at least 2 years. Yours are going out in weeks... months.... you tell me what's not stacking up here.
If it makes you feel better refresh your ecm or talk to your tuner about making changes or have them reassure you that their tuning is in no way shape or form the problem

Old 09-08-2016, 10:19 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Ford pissed and moaned the first time. Talking to the tuners is certainly going to happen. The first one went running Swamps, the 2nd running Gearhead. A thorough investigation into the wiring is also in order.

As for the motor, it's got 200/30% Swamps Hybrids with a 38R. So, I should be around 400hp plus or minus a little.

The shop owner shares your opinion as well.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would not blame your injectors and turbo on this unless you drive like a crazy man.I have the same 200/30 Swamps injectors and a 38R with Swamps and Gearhead tuning on my hydra. My Stock transmission made it 80,000 miles with our injector/turbo setup. I have had 16,000 lbs behind my truck numerous times with our setup and my Trans had 200+k on it and it did fine. My stock transmission just died a few weeks ago at aprox 296,000 miles. I would have to say something is not right with your Trans not your injector/turbo/tuning. This thread makes me so happy that last week I made up my mind to get a BTS rather than the HD4R100 from Ford. My BTS ships to me to me today!! I would be on the phone with Ford if I were you.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:45 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
You and I have pretty close to the same truck! The original tranny went out at 150,000 miles, about 2 months after the injector/turbo install. 2nd tranny went in, a HD4R100, and right away the TQ would lock up in reverse when you touched the throttle. Pulled it and installed this one. I am leaning towards a BTS or one from Swamps.

Quick Reply: Very Strange Transmission Behavior. 3 In One Year.