1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Newbie, interested in restoring fathers 1949 f1

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM
troxy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie, interested in restoring fathers 1949 f1

Hi everyone, I am new here. And actually new to the idea of restoring vehicles. I can change my oil and air filter, that's about it.

My dad bought this truck when I was ~2 or 3 years old. He's wanted to restore this truck for the last 25 years. We've talked about some things, but he has never had the time to touch it. Too busy working and providing for us kids. He bought some sweet f150's over the years though

I'd like to try and take the next couple years and attempt to at the very least get it painted/running and 'give' it to him on his 49th birthday. He's suffering from a type of leukemia (CLL), and I just fear this might be one of those things he misses out on.

End of the sob story. To the meat and potatoes.

Here's pics.

Overall question: Where the hell do I start? My grandpa has a large well stocked shop on the property that I could use. But I know next to nothing and I don't have a huge budget.

I know I don't have pictures of the motor or anything, but the truck was running when he parked it.

From outside appearance, is this truck in good enough condition that it is worth working on? The interior is okay, but it has a few issues. I'll be travelling back home in a few weeks. I'll take more pictures then.

For now, any direction, or reading materials you might have would be so incredible awesome. I'm getting started with reading the posts on the board, but a lot of this is like a foreign language to me.

Thanks for reading/looking.

EDIT: Things I like to add other than painting/getting it running. Power steering, modern brakes, bigger engine/transmission, not sure how a person would accomplish these things though. I'm not rich, but I'm considering taking out a loan if need be.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the best site to get information on how to do what you want for the truck. Your ideas of new brakes, engine steering etc all cost dollars. The original equipment worked well and may be less expensive to restore. If the engine is free and not stuck it may be fairly easy to get it running or it may require a complete rebuild. Overall that truck looks a lot better than what I started with and what many others here started with. So you have a good start. You may want to put your location so others in your area may be able to give you help. The guys that know a heck of a lot more than I do will be along to give you help/advice soon. Remember this is suppose to be fun so if it gets to be a hassle take a step back and remember why you are taking it on. I hope you are successful I'm sure your dad will love it no matter how it comes out or how long it takes. How long before he is 49?

Old 08-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Welcome to FTE

nice truck, lots of potential there. I would caution against getting too ambitious starting out, all too often folks will simply get in over their head, disassemble everything and become discouraged or balk at what all of it costs. Then it sits for years, important pieces or parts get lost or damaged, and eventually it is sold off to someone willing to make a go of it. I agree that upgrading engine and transmission, power steering, body work and paint, will cost enough to buy a house damn near. Nice if you have the money, nobody is going to lend for that though.

I'd get it running and patch up the brakes, and go from there. What engine is in it now?

Get yourself the Ford Shop manual for that year, and a 1950 "Motors" Repair manual, and start studying them. Oh, and a grease gun. Thanks for the pics, and signing up.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:29 PM
troxy
New User
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Welcome to the best site to get information on how to do what you want for the truck. Your ideas of new brakes, engine steering etc all cost dollars. The original equipment worked well and may be less expensive to restore. If the engine is free and not stuck it may be fairly easy to get it running or it may require a complete rebuild. Overall that truck looks a lot better than what I started with and what many others here started with. So you have a good start. You may want to put your location so others in your area may be able to give you help. The guys that know a heck of a lot more than I do will be along to give you help/advice soon. Remember this is suppose to be fun so if it gets to be a hassle take a step back and remember why you are taking it on. I hope you are successful I'm sure your dad will love it no matter how it comes out or how long it takes. How long before he is 49?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Everyone here seems really awesome.

I've got roughly 19 months before he turns 49. I'm up in Tulsa, OK, but the truck is down in southeast OK. This'll be something I'll need to figure out. I don't have anywhere to move it and work on it up here. Probably a lot of travelling and Saturday's working on it late into the night.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

I'd get it running and patch up the brakes
I would do the same, especially if you are thinking of getting it going in a reasonable amount of time. Hose it off, vacuum it out, and get him that ride.

I wouldnt even paint it, but I am funny that way

Restorations for those who know what they are doing can take years, and parts costs add up quick!

Old 08-11-2016, 06:41 PM
troxy
New User
Welcome to FTE

nice truck, lots of potential there. I would caution against getting too ambitious starting out, all too often folks will simply get in over their head, disassemble everything and become discouraged or balk at what all of it costs. Then it sits for years, important pieces or parts get lost or damaged, and eventually it is sold off to someone willing to make a go of it. I agree that upgrading engine and transmission, power steering, body work and paint, will cost enough to buy a house damn near. Nice if you have the money, nobody is going to lend for that though.

I'd get it running and patch up the brakes, and go from there. What engine is in it now?

Get yourself the Ford Shop manual for that year, and a 1950 "Motors" Repair manual, and start studying them. Oh, and a grease gun. Thanks for the pics, and signing up.
Thanks for the suggestions, just added the shop manual to my amazon cart. Is there a specific 1950 "Motors" Repair manual you suggest? My search yielded a few different results.

My thoughts were to do something like this for the brakes: Power Disc Brake Conversion Kit | 1948-52 Ford F1 1953-56 Ford F100 | LMC Truck

Not sure of the engine yet, I'm about to find out.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Before you invest in the brake conversion idea, make sure of what you actually have to start with. That rear bumper is not anywhere near stock, and the way it sits, I'd suspect that there have already been suspension mods done.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:52 PM
troxy
New User
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Before you invest in the brake conversion idea, make sure of what you actually have to start with. That rear bumper is not anywhere near stock, and the way it sits, I'd suspect that there have already been suspension mods done.
Yeah, before I commit to anything I imagine I'll have to strip it down to find out the specifics.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:00 PM
troxy
New User
What engine is in it now?
I just talked to my mom, she said all she knows is it is a 289??

Old 08-11-2016, 07:45 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 289 is a modern (if you consider any where from the 60's to the 90's modern) V8 that was the common eight cyclinder engine Ford used. Great reliable engine, easy to work on and parts are available. I stuck one in a 60 Austin Healy that was a lot of fun. As others have said find out what you have - does the engine turn. Pull the plugs put a large wrench on the front harmonic balancer (front bottom o engine) and see if you can turn it. If so read what others have done before trying to start it. You should have fun.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:51 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome.

As others have mentioned, you'll want to limit the scope of work to match the skills, budget, and time available to you.

You need two things: A complete, clear-eyed assessment of the current condition including engine condition, steering, suspension, and brakes. AND a place to do the work. Honestly, finding time to do the work, after finding the time to commute a fair distance, while fighting a countdown calendar, isn't setting yourself up for success.

Trying to do this great thing for you father is selfless and honorable. We're here to help as - including adding the voices of experience.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome,, I agree, brakes , motor, steering then drive it for a while. You will build a relationship with your truck and soon know what direction you want to go in. Don't do something just because it's currently in style. Do what you want when it comes to style.
I was just like you, as far as lack of experience goes, but don't worry or be embarrassed this is a very friendly site, where people don't laugh at any question. I had a pro look over and get the brakes safe, and replace the king pins. Then I just did one piece at a time starting with a broken front spring, then etc etc ,and over a decade later Im still doing it. This way I was able to drive and enjoy my truck almost the whole time. There is a thread about how to plan a build on the first page ,one of the Red threads, I think its in tips and tricks (not sure) but it may help you. No matter what you do I can guarantee that you are going to enjoy yourself and love working on your truck. Weather you do a complete restoration, a resto mod, or a custom build, it is up to you.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:30 PM
troxy
New User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Honestly, finding time to do the work, after finding the time to commute a fair distance, while fighting a countdown calendar, isn't setting yourself up for success.
I think this is very accurate. But my thoughts are I'll do what I can when I can, and go from there. If I decide to give it to him a little later, or something so be it. :-/

Old 08-11-2016, 08:59 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Welcome to FTE! I just started my restoration last fall and had very little skills, tools, and $$$. I'm sure nothing on your truck is beyond your skill abilities. When you run into a challenge, there is always someone here to help you out. It's nice to have all the suggestions but ultimately it comes down to what you want to do with it. Take some time and view all the builds on FTE site and as someone else said you will develop a relationship with the truck and if you listen closely it will tell you want it wants. I'm being weird now! Ha Ha. Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions. Is it possible to include your dad in helping with the build? What a great opportunity to develop a special relationship during his sickness! I have two sons of my own (26 & 28) and kick myself many times for not starting my project when they were home and available. I think it would have been so neat to have them share the experience. The other thing is to start a Build Page on FTE. Follow the instructions at the top of the forums when that time comes. Good Luck!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 PM
troxy
New User
Originally Posted by df85732
Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions. Is it possible to include your dad in helping with the build? What a great opportunity to develop a special relationship during his sickness! I have two sons of my own (26 & 28) and kick myself many times for not starting my project when they were home and available. I think it would have been so neat to have them share the experience. The other thing is to start a Build Page on FTE. Follow the instructions at the top of the forums when that time comes. Good Luck!
I wish I could, but he works off in Houston right now. He's a construction project manager so that means little time for travelling back home (9-10 hour drive).

I've been considering letting him in on the details, asking his input. Don't really know how I'd hide it from him when he does come in to visit anway

Time will tell though. For now I'm going to take the advice here and figure out how to do an honest assessment of the 'working' parts, I think that's what's most important to me. If I can get his truck running I think he'd be proud of that. Especially considering that working on vehicles with us boys was always something he wanted to do, just never was able to make the time.

I'll look up how to start a build page when I get more pictures as well!

Quick Reply: Newbie, interested in restoring fathers 1949 f1