1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08' 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Mike Yaz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel

Just looking to find out some info on the 6.4L V8 Powerstroke Diesel engine?? Has anyone had any major issues with it? How does it perform?? it has 62K on it

TIA
Yaz

Old 08-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First we'd have to ask you why do you need a 6.4 powerstoke diesel? Do you need it to haul a trailer all the time for work, are you using it to haul equipment, horses, travel trailer?

Now we are not asking to be rude, it's just you have to shed a little light on your need for a 6.4 diesel so we can give you a better idea of what your looking at if you bought one.

It really depends on the truck and it's history and whether the truck is stock or deleted and whether it has been maintained well
The 6.4 has a lot of good things about it. It can be a horse when it comes to pulling, it has the power and ability to pull heavy and it works well under load. Lots of people have them in short haul transport , farm operations, companies that haul equipment you name it.

Now if you are not pulling anything and using it just for short commutes, then this is NOT for you due to the regen cycle that can foul it up if the soot doesnt get burned off. Now there are a lot t of 6.4 owners that are very happy with their stock trucks and those with their deleted trucks.

The 6.4 engine is not an easy engine to work on, and if you ever seen under the hood of it you will know why I say that, if your wrench handy maybe it wouldnt be so bad but that is one of the things with this truck you need to be aware of.

As with any diesel truck the parts for the 6.4's are expensive depending on the components the 6.0 is a little easier to work on and the part are a little cheaper but the 6.4 parts are a little more expensive than the 6.0's parts.

You would be well advised to get an inspection of the 6.4 done, you dont want to inherit a money pit, a properly maintained 6.4 can be a good truck but an improperly maintained truck can hit you in the wallet hard.

One of the things to ask the seller is why are they selling it If it is being sold privately, if it is at a dealer that is not a Ford dealership, ask them where they got it. Chances are it was bought at auction or traded in.

You should get a Carfax or Autocheck done regardless and find out that vehicles history. You also wanted to take the VIN and go to a Ford Dealer and get a oasis report pulled. An oasis report will tell you any work done to the truck when it was in at any ford dealer and will have the mileage documented whenever it was in to a ford dealership, this will also tell you if someone has rolled back the odometer or replaced the cluster with a lower mileage one, another thing to check is what the engine hours say, if the truck has 8000 hours of run time and only 62k I would be concerned.

62K is pretty low mileage for an 08 and that while nice to see for a potential buyer, I would also be a little concerned that it either sat a lot or was used for for short commutes or infrequently. Now that could be good or bad, once again that all depends on what the previous owners use of the truck was.

If it was grandpa ruining to the corner store, I would say run like hell. If it was farmer bob using it to pull his horse trailer around to the rodeo's I wouldnt be as concerned same with joe the landscaper hauling his bobcat.

If this was short commuter, then that would be trouble ahead. if you were driving 90 miles each way to work on the hwy, not so bad, if it is 20 miles to work, then thats a problem cause the truck would have a tough time doing regens and that can cause huge headaches for the engine.

Obviously a diesel requires more maintenance and those costs are higher than a gasser. Ford filters are a must, I would trust after market filters. The biggest issues with the truck is the emissions systems, you have to keep your eye on them and make sure the engine is maintained, keep your fluids changed at regular intervals because the heat this engine can produce means the oil really shouldnt be left for 10k miles change.

If a truck that is deleted it is still a truck you need to keep maintained but you do have a little less to worry about and of course the gas mileage is better, but with that said a really amped up race tune can wreak havoc on the engine because of the advance in the timing.

Dont get me wrong now, not everyone has their 6.4 on race tune, their are a lot of good tuning systems out there they wont kill the engine and same with the monitoring systems so you can keep an eye on certain parameters of the engine that can tell you if all is well or your headed for a problem, and a lot of guy swear up and down at how they are engine savers because they saw temp parameter starting to go too high and pulled over and turned off the truck.

as I said, there are good and bad things about any truck gas or diesel, really depends on you and what your plans are for it and what the condition of that truck is. What ever you decide get that truck looked at and make sure everything is checked before you plunk your cash down, it might cost you a few bucks to get it looked at , but it might also prevent you from having to dump thousands more into it after you have purchased it

Old 08-10-2016, 08:05 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I never advise anyone to get a 6.4. Fact: just at the dealer yesterday checking on my ordered 6.2 delivery, a longtime local customer's truck was back in for its 3rd leaking bed plate. Big$$ out of pocket expense. The list of disgruntled 6.4 owners could be the longest in the Ford family.
Follow diesels forums and the 6.4 section for more 6.4 specific info.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Mike Yaz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason that the wife & I are thinking about the F-350 is because we plan of getting a bigger camper than we currently have & we're not ruling out the possibility of a 5th wheel.

Lots to think about....thank you guys