2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Sorry to say Steerinbg "Nibble" is back...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:24 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to say Steerinbg "Nibble" is back...

All, just picked up a new 2016 King Ranch FX4, 5.5 box Crew Cab. This is my 4th 4x4 F-15 ('05 Lariat, '09 Platinum, '13 Platinum and now the 2016 KR). As you can tell I really like these trucks but am disappointed that the steering nibble is back. It happens when you cross sharp bumps in the road like cracks or manhole covers or RR tracks. You can feel the steering wheel move (jiggle) 1/8" to 1/4" in your hands and it's very annoying and not confidence inspiring. My '09 Plat had this annoying trait and that's why I eventually traded it. My '13 Plat was stable as a rock and I incorrectly assumed Ford had addressed this issue and put it to rest. Back in the '09 timeframe there were others with this same issue and some even went as far as having Ford replace the R&P steering unit under warranty. IIRC, there was a certain part number you wanted to be sure to get for the replacement R&P steering unit or you would still have the issue. Before I begin the long and torturous path down the dealer service route, has anyone recently heard about this issue on the newer trucks? I'm very disappointed that I may end up having to have my local dealership seriously tear into the front end of a $63K brand spanking new truck!! It is annoying and taking the pleasure away from an otherwise awesome truck!!

Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to wonder if you aren't being overly worried about it, possibly combined with tire pressures that need tweaking, etc. The 09 you had problems with had a totally different steering system versus the EPAS systems of the 13 and 16. And this certainly isn't a common complaint.

The 15+ don't have a sway bar in the rear end, which can make things a bit more unstable in corners and on bumps. Perhaps this is what you're feeling?

Old 08-09-2016, 04:34 PM
HotLap
Senior User
Originally Posted by tvsjr
I have to wonder if you aren't being overly worried about it, possibly combined with tire pressures that need tweaking, etc. The 09 you had problems with had a totally different steering system versus the EPAS systems of the 13 and 16. And this certainly isn't a common complaint.

The 15+ don't have a sway bar in the rear end, which can make things a bit more unstable in corners and on bumps. Perhaps this is what you're feeling?

Thanks for the feedback tvsjr, appreciate it!! I'm pretty mechanically inclined and it's definitely the steering where I'm feeling it. I've already checked tire pressures, torque setting on the lug nuts, etc. and all are fine. I had a neighbor help me check the steering column fasteners/"U joints" and they all appear tight right up to where the column enters the steering unit. Sad to say I suspect it's in the Steering unit just like the '09 was...and IIRC there were more than a few back then with the issue, was a fairly big thread as I followed it closely. I will have it checked out and believe me I hope you are right and it's something small as I really don't want to have major work done by my local dealer! Cheers, I'll keep you updated as to how things progress...this KR does have the max towing package so it has a slightly heavier duty front sway bar (IIRC), don't imagine that would be impacting anything as otherwise the truck drives great, The difference between my 2013 Platinum (same exact configuration) is amazing as you can tell this truck is significantly lighter, easier to flick into turns and much less "ponderous" feeling when you drive it. Sorry straying off topic

Just to reiterate, this isn't when cornering or going over large bumps, it's a "niggle" right at center steering position when going straight down the road and crossing cracks in the asphalt or the edge of a manhole cover...you can feel the steering jiggle like a 1/4" right in the center going straight down the road...annoying for sure...

Old 08-11-2016, 06:57 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
I have felt the exact same issue with mine and I can replicate it on a couple of streets in the same spots. I have had it to the dealer twice they say nothing is wrong with it and cant simulate it. on the second time they said it was a shock and replaced it. Issue still persists. Since then, I did add a leveling kit, 33x12 tires and 20 in Fuel wheels, this set up has mad it less noticeable.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:12 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
There are documented instances of grooving/ruts causing "road wobble", or the like. I googled it a bit, and although this is maybe dipping into the mud (so to speak), is a good explanation of what may be going on: Effects of Pavement Grooving

Old 08-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Locomotivepower
Senior User
Hi
I had a 2015 platinum up until a few days ago. ( traded for new 17 SD on order)

I think had the same issue on the now traded platinum. The wheel would rattle just a hint. Going over a small bump.
It had adaptive cruise and lane control. I thought it felt like the lane control was a bit loose.

Dealer said everything is fine.
What I found it to be was the whole center air bag and horn button moves up and down.
About 1/8 of an inch causing the soft vibration in the wheels at times.

Hope this helped

Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I have just the opposite feeling about the steering. The electric steering so so mundane that I hardly ever feel cracks or rolls in the roadway.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott91370
I have just the opposite feeling about the steering. The electric steering so so mundane that I hardly ever feel cracks or rolls in the roadway.
Ditto. I know the EPAS has advantages, but I feel a lot more "disconnected" from the road.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:08 AM
Locomotivepower
Senior User
Nibble in wheel

Try this
With the truck off wheels pointed straight.
Place both hands on the horn button/airbag.
With your fingers at the base where the horn and airbag meet the wheel.
Thre is a small gap there from the wheel gently try to lift the horn straight up.
So if your fingers were at say 6 o'clock on the wheel "lift" "not pull" straight up towards 12'oclock. This is where I found my platinum has a small rattle or vibration. The airbag/ horn button hangs (down) on the center of the wheel
There is a small amount of play there for the whole center of the wheel
(horn/airbag) to move up and down over bumps.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM
bryanknie
Senior User
Makes sense, I will check it out. Maybe when I went to bigger tires they absorb the specific bumps some that were contrbuiting to the horn/airbag assy. I still have it but not a noticeable. At least I have a comfort level that it is ot steering or suspension.