6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone else feel like they're getting ripped-off at the pump?

Old 08-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Received 445 Likes on 294 Posts
Anyone else feel like they're getting ripped-off at the pump?

Maybe it's a Texas thing, or a Fort Worth thing, but my last 4 fill-ups have required 3-4 gallons more than I thought they should have based on miles traveled, fuel gauge position, timing of low fuel light, and calculated mpg.

I was getting 14.5 mpg mixed city driving and then all of a sudden it dropped to 12.5mpg. I started thinking something was wrong with the sending unit, so I ran it almost dry to see if I still had 5 gallons when the low fuel light came on like it did four months ago after I harpooned the tank. Yesterday I went 50 miles after the light came on which tells me I still had a gallon in the tank if the sender is still working properly.

Today I filled the tank and it took 34.812 gallons. Did I mention I have a short bed with 29 gallon tank? But wait, it gets better.

Fuel price was $1.999. I paid $80 cash. When I finished filling the truck, I had a five gallon can to fill. The remaining 5.188 gallons didn't fill the can. At $80 the pump stopped and the level in the can is at least an inch below the 5gal mark. And it isn't an old can with bulged-out sides either.

Last four fill-ups were at three different gas stations, btw.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:15 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the pump for the last time the meter was checked and calibrated by the state. Should have a weight and measure sticker on the pump with a date of when it was done.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
Maybe it's a Texas thing, or a Fort Worth thing, but my last 4 fill-ups have required 3-4 gallons more than I thought they should have based on miles traveled, fuel gauge position, timing of low fuel light, and calculated mpg.

I was getting 14.5 mpg mixed city driving and then all of a sudden it dropped to 12.5mpg. I started thinking something was wrong with the sending unit, so I ran it almost dry to see if I still had 5 gallons when the low fuel light came on like it did four months ago after I harpooned the tank. Yesterday I went 50 miles after the light came on which tells me I still had a gallon in the tank if the sender is still working properly.

Today I filled the tank and it took 34.812 gallons. Did I mention I have a short bed with 29 gallon tank? But wait, it gets better.

Fuel price was $1.999. I paid $80 cash. When I finished filling the truck, I had a five gallon can to fill. The remaining 5.188 gallons didn't fill the can. At $80 the pump stopped and the level in the can is at least an inch below the 5gal mark. And it isn't an old can with bulged-out sides either.

Last four fill-ups were at three different gas stations, btw.
Weights & Measures Reports/Publications - Texas Department of Agriculture

Have a look at that link I just posted and look at these these reports
Device Inspection History Current Fiscal Year (csv) Weights & Measures Reports
Device Inspection History Previous Fiscal Year Weights & Measures Reports
Fuel Stations Out of Compliance Report Weights & Measures Reports

Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Check the pump for the last time the meter was checked and calibrated by the state. Should have a weight and measure sticker on the pump with a date of when it was done.
You would think it should be up to date. But they do list this Fuel Stations Out of Compliance Report

It's all overseen by Texas Department of Agriculture

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-08-2016, 02:07 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I don't know about Texas, but I remember reading here in Iowa there's only one guy to do the actual inspections or somesuch. The sticker is kind of misleading. It's not like the pumps are checked out every six months or something. It's probably done on a percentage basis or something like that. If there are complaints that would be different.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:45 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
You might start by looking up the station in question to see if they have problems
with shortages. Then you may want to contact someone in the department.
https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Reg...sContacts.aspx
Here is the contact page for Agriculture. They are the ones that regulate it.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Every state has an Attorney General and a website with a complaint system. Here in Wa State, several years ago, I complained about a local business doing robo-calls and leaving recorded messages on my answering machine. (illegal in Wa State)

I filed an online complaint and they answered me with a response in a week or so and about 6mo later I had an apology from the company that originally did the call!

That was a pretty minor thing. Fraud at a gas-pump is a VERY MAJOR thing.

I'll bet any State Attorney Gen would jump right on that!!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Is it really fraud if it's happening at 3 gas stations in the same township vs someone doing pump calibrations who doesn't know what they're doing?

Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Could be the local technician that is making a mistake in
the calibrations in the pump meter.

Either way it needs to be rectified and reporting it may be the
only way to get that issue corrected.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
Wow, have you looked at those device inspection history spread sheets?!!! 29K rows of Excel wonderment! And some of the entries are duplicates. After going through 17,000 entries, I only found one of the gas stations in question, and then my eyes popped out.

I filed a complaint about the most recent experience, and referenced the other two in the description. It sure was an easy process, at least I think it was. Still waiting on some form of confirmation that they received it. Probably get that next month.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
A database is your friend and worst enemy.
All depending on how you work it.

Other time is just shows incompetence in the worst way.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
As a teenager I pumped gas for a paycheck. We would "stick" the tanks every day. Just like it sounds it's a measuring stick that gives you a close approximation of how much fuel is in the big tank in the ground and the pumps were read (total sale in gallons) for the day. If the pump at the business you mentioned is that far off, you can bet they know it.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Fuzzpuss
Cargo Master
I would bet they ALL know it. The way I view the oil industry is pretty much like organized crime.

The last time a barrel of oil was $40 was December 2008. Price at the pump for 87 octane was $1.09 in Arlington, TX. These days a $40 barrel of oil equals $1.70 at the pump.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Just be glad your not in California buying fuel. I believe it was 2.79 last time for Diesel. With Gas above that.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 AM
lkforney11
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuzzpuss
I would bet they ALL know it. The way I view the oil industry is pretty much like organized crime.

The last time a barrel of oil was $40 was December 2008. Price at the pump for 87 octane was $1.09 in Arlington, TX. These days a $40 barrel of oil equals $1.70 at the pump.
I will bet the tax rates on fuel haven't gone DOWN too much since 2008........ Maybe not a 60 cent per gallon increase. Maybe govt regulations require a higher processing fee to make the fuel?

WTH?!!!!! Am I defending the oil industry? Blood sucking scumbags!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
I was gonna say, wait till he finds out about fuel taxes. And our oil industry hasn't been nationalized like the rest of the world. To wit:

Look at Venezuela. They have the largest proven oil reserves on the planet, and yet the people are slaughtering stray dogs, cats, and zoo animals in the street to get food to eat, and they stand in mile long lines to (maybe ... hopefully..) buy toilet paper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else feel like they're getting ripped-off at the pump?