Attention Boondockers, drycampers and gypsy folk...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I just bought the HUNT Colorado by onXmaps for my GPS. It shows all the public and private lands. I bought it mainly for hunting but I'm thinking it could come in real handy when I go out to find a nice secluded spot to boondock.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
One thing to remember when using the motor vehicle map when they have the dots along the road that doesn't mean your going to be able to get your "larger" camper into that/ those spots. At times I'll have my second truck which means I can leave the dually and 36' 5th parked somewhere why we do a little exploring. As it has been said before it's the experience along the way that's half the fun of camping.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 PM
sneil
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty DJ
I see you list your location as "Somewhere south of Denver." I live in the Denver Metro area, but I grew up on the Western Slope and I have family down near Cortez, so we go camping all over the state. I would love to find some dispersed sites that are within ~2 hours of home for those shorter weekend trips.
I'm in the Denver area as well (Parker) and we have a few dispersed locations we like to go to that are only a couple of hours away. Check out Pike National Forest areas near Jefferson off US 285 on CR 77 & CR 39. There's quite a number of sites up there and all along CR 77 heading down to Tarryall reservoir and US 24. Just a bit further down US 285/24 near Trout Creek pass, there's some sites on both sides of the road. Even closer to town is Rampart Range Road between Sedalia & Woodland Park, a number of sites along there. They can get pretty crowded though with OHV users on the weekends, so it's best to get up there early.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:18 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I gotta tell you I can't stand Rampart Range Road. The dust is almost as thick as the traffic. I've offroaded (truck and ATV) off of Rampart Range Road and I'm not sure I'll ever go back. Maybe during a very off-peak period I would go there, but I can think of many other locations that have less traffic and less dust.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
There is a decent set of spots on the way to 11 Mile Reservoir. I checked them out last year and I plan to camp there. First come, first served. Looks like it could fill up. I think it is National Forest land, not BLM.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM
sneil
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Rampart Range Road isn't the best, especially in season, and it seems to be getting busier. We haven't been up there in quite some time.

A little further drive up north, we found some nice spots near Grand Lake. On CR 4 off US 34 just south of town. We were up there just a few weeks ago and the ranger mentioned it can get full come Saturday morning.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Normally I would recommend some real nice sites up in my hunting unit near Walden. But most of my hunting unit has either gone up in smoke or is currently in the process of going up in smoke. Hunting could be lousy. I didn't even go up for opening day for archery Pronghorn.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:59 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
The wife and I have been camping in some form for about fifty years, tents to high end motorhome. We've almost always been armed. Only once did we run into what proved to be a dangerous situation and at the time we were unaware of that danger.
We were motor home camped in a primitive area of the Ocala National Forest about twenty years ago. We noticed a young couple tent camped a couple hundred yards from us and exchanged greeting, no more. We noticed the next day their camp was in disarray but thought nothing of it. I think we stayed one more day and went home. Next day we heard there had been a double murder of a brother and sister who had met and camped there as a break from their different colleges. Killed by a vagrant.
Stay safe out there, friends.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
The wife and I have been camping in some form for about fifty years ...
You have a very understanding spouse!

Old 08-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sneil
I'm in the Denver area as well (Parker) and we have a few dispersed locations we like to go to that are only a couple of hours away. Check out Pike National Forest areas near Jefferson off US 285 on CR 77 & CR 39. There's quite a number of sites up there and all along CR 77 heading down to Tarryall reservoir and US 24. Just a bit further down US 285/24 near Trout Creek pass, there's some sites on both sides of the road. Even closer to town is Rampart Range Road between Sedalia & Woodland Park, a number of sites along there. They can get pretty crowded though with OHV users on the weekends, so it's best to get up there early.
Originally Posted by HRTKD
There is a decent set of spots on the way to 11 Mile Reservoir. I checked them out last year and I plan to camp there. First come, first served. Looks like it could fill up. I think it is National Forest land, not BLM.

Thanks for the ideas guys. A couple of years ago when we were still renting pull behind trailers to go camping, we went up to one of the campgrounds near Jefferson Lake and that was nice. We also went to one dispersed site on the other side of US285 in that same area, just North(?) of Jefferson which was nice. I will check out the other places you mentioned.