6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tank won't receive diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Napewastewin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tank won't receive diesel.

2011 F4 56.7 L diesel will not allow fuel in the tank. Help! Any ideas would be very helpful right now.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:06 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vents are plugged up not allowing the air to escape. Climb under and locate the vents. Although there should also be a vent in the filler nozzle itself that would allow the air to escape.

Could also be somebody jammed something down your filler nozzle that is not allowing the fuel to enter the tank.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The vent hose and vent system in general is horrible on these. If you can, trickle the fuel slowly and eventually the lines will clear and the air will displace.

Otherwise, you might have a vandalism issue on your hands. Locking fuel doors aren't cheap but they sure are nice.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:09 PM
Napewastewin
Junior User
The free flow into the tank has already been checked the vents and the in line have been removed and cleared. The owner of the truck says something about a clapper valve which is a safety issue? It appears to be a valve that will prevent fuel from leaking out in the event of a turnover. Since I'm not familiar with this particular design or engineering and I don't know where or what to find the location for a clapper valve,If you could explain that would be great, thanks. Any further ideas?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Is the tank full?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Napewastewin
Junior User
No baby, the tank is not full it's got about a third in it however. I know the first thing to do is to always check the ground connections! But honestly we've been through this and this is how far we got.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:12 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
time to drop the tank and have a look.

If this is a truck under warranty, take it in.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:15 AM
Napewastewin
Junior User
Thanks, that is exactly what I told the owner. It turns out that the Ford dealer in Mitchell, South Dakota however has been screwing him around for about a week now. He is traveling with a horse trailer and two horses and I am finding the behavior of this agency very unworthy.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
If there is another dealer close by then take it there, but sounds like you will have to drop the tank yourself.

I would plan for a sending unit/pick up tube replacement and get one just in case.

You can remove the fill tube and tank and check from a to z with it all removed.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:26 AM
Napewastewin
Junior User
Thanks, but there is never anything, "close by", in South Dakota! This guy is a disabled veteran and it really angers me to see him receive this kind of treatment. I myself am a Vietnam vet but I am not disabled, not physically anyway and I care not for this type of treatment received by too many of this nations veterans. I also am traveling with a large horse trailer and three horses. We both stopped in an overnight stable and I have just been trying to help this brother in arms. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Traveling Man
Senior User
First off I want to thank you and the brother in arms for your service to our country.
Did you guys try pushing a 1/2" garden hose down the tank to clear the obstruction or to ascertain this clapper valve you speak of has failed?
Another idea, although a risky one would be to try pushing a solid stiff wire with a hook to try to pop the valve open. If you are going to drop the tank anyway you don't have anything to loose. Electricians use a stiff wire for pulling wire called a fish tape but even something such as a solid copper #10 wire with a hook in it might work. Once the wire bottoms out, bend a handle into it and spin it to try and hook the valve. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:53 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I was thinking similar, you all should have a water hose with you and maybe you could get your hands on a funnel and a gas can. I'd try stuffing the hose as far as possible then trying to pour diesel down its throat.

You could try to lower the fuel tank with a couple floor jacks, just low enough to open the top and manual dump fuel into it, then raise it back up.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Napewastewin
Junior User
Apparently Wally got a call from the Ford dealership here. They told him that his part, whatever part that is, is in and he drove over there to have them do the necessary work. I would like to thank everyone for their input and I will post an update when he returns when I know more.
Also thank you for your acknowledgment.....

Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any conclusion to this saga?

Old 08-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Napewastewin
Apparently Wally got a call from the Ford dealership here. They told him that his part, whatever part that is, is in and he drove over there to have them do the necessary work. I would like to thank everyone for their input and I will post an update when he returns when I know more.
Also thank you for your acknowledgment.....
Please let us know.

I had an issue where I was at an angle and I could only put a gallon or two of fuel in. I fill up Jerry cans as I get fuel discounts where I grocery shop and I make darn certain to pump all 35 Gallons I am allowed to. Especially when It's $1 off per gallon. I was below 1/2 tank at the time, but once I leveled out the fuel fell into the tank and I could put more fuel in.

FWIW, I've also had this issue with DEF. Apparently the truck needs to reasonable level.

Quick Reply: Tank won't receive diesel.