Using the Senior Pass for campground discounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:23 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Using the Senior Pass for campground discounts

Starting next spring, my wife and I are planning on just wandering for a while heading West. We have seen only a few of the National Parks, but are open to everything. We will not be operating on a time schedule, a first for us. So we are trying to decide on routes and where to stay.

Yesterday we pulled up the list of all the government agencies that accept Senior Passes for discounts. The list is a little overwhelming and I am not sure how hard it will be to even find space. So far, we have never towed further west than Kansas and I have heard there are some things called mountains in our path which are trifle higher than the ones we have in Tennessee.

Given I know some of you have done things similar and perhaps a few even live west of Kansas, any and all thoughts regarding our pending trek are welcome.

Steve

Old 08-01-2016, 07:48 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Mountain guide West doesn't hurt it will let you know the grade of over pass and particulars along your route.

When you say senior pass is that the inter agency park pass? That's a pretty good deal of a discount not every place will honor it but a good portion will.

Timing will be everything as far as heat goes visit the southern places first then move north unless you enjoy the heat. After reading your plans I think of the enjoyment you'll get seeing some of the National Parks, Monuments and places you'll see for the first time in person.
There is just so much to see it's hard to say what is best or where to start. When we make our tentative plan for the summer it always seem we'll get derailed a little from the plan just because there something else to see we didn't know about when talking with locals and searching the net.
Do you like Caves, Hiking, biking or just auto touring with minimal walking, Wilderness/ wildlife. There is so much it can be over whelming in a good way.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
The Old Farts Pass is very useful when traveling around the country with it's 50% discount on most gov CG, the only ones it doesn't work for are the ones that have been leased out to concessionaires. For the COE parks I bought and downloaded a book off of Amazon. The National Forest ones are a little harder to find but they are out there, if you use a app called RV Park they normally show up there.

Another handy thing to have is a membership to Passport America, they have 50% off discount at the parks that belong to it. Most have some restrictions and sometime the aren't the best parks but they work great for one or two night stays. We use it a lot when traveling from point A to B.

Yes there are some good mountains in your way to the west coast but just take your time and enjoy the scenery and you will be fine, if you have never been oin the altitude before it takes a little getting used to.

Any ideas on where you will be wandering?

Denny

Old 08-01-2016, 09:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I am printing off everyone's comments and suggestions. At present, we are trying to decide on a route, whether to run central or stay northern. We will pull out of here in December, winter in Florida, then check in at home before heading out.

We are big bikers, but purely recreationally, not in a "Holy Cow" kind of way. We also get out and hike, but again not looking to test ourselves. Did that when we were young!

This is kind of an aside, but both my wife and I began working as teenagers and have worked all our lives. We have been trying to decide how to approach this retirement thing as I have kept working simply to avoid having to decide and like what I do. We are not good at just sitting so we don't do well in a "sit and watch the neighbors" kind of routine. A good deal of our conversation still centers around that topic.

Steve

Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Going west in December means the possibility of snow etc. I80 is kept clear and is a better road than the southerly route. Just something to consider.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:49 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
No, we are wintering in Florida, coming back to Tennessee, check the house, and then cast off for the West in late spring hoping to avoid the cold.

Steve

Old 08-01-2016, 11:42 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
No, we are wintering in Florida, coming back to Tennessee, check the house, and then cast off for the West in late spring hoping to avoid the cold.

Steve
I80 better road.
Route 66 very scenic and crappy road in a lot of places.
Kansas and Nebraska you'll need a good supply of no-doze driving thru there. Orange crate is considered a mountain. No offense to anyone.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You like biking? And hiking? 4 Corners area, some of the most spectacular scenery around. March and April are the most kind weather wise, though can be erratic. Thousands of miles of good, graded dirt road and Bureau of Land Management recreation areas. Trust Me.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by 69cj
I80 better road.
Route 66 very scenic and crappy road in a lot of places.
Kansas and Nebraska you'll need a good supply of no-doze driving thru there. Orange crate is considered a mountain. No offense to anyone.
Going through Nebraska on 80 is boring but of you go north of the interstate into the sandhills it's completely different and if you go south into the Republican River Valley it's completely different agian. I-80 was the path of least resistance, it's flat and it cuts through the heart of irrigated corn country.

Denny

Old 08-01-2016, 05:18 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by RV_Tech

Steve
I'm not sure how late you will be leaving but stay South, we have come across Wyoming a few to many times in late April and early May and hit snow. Lots of places to see staying South until summer.

Denny

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Another problem with I 80 across Big Wonderful Wyoming can be. WIND!!!!!

Of course, the picture is just a joke, but, the wind can be brutal from Cheyenne to Rock Springs!! And they seem to be a little more prevalent in the spring months!

Old 08-01-2016, 08:43 PM
rvpuller
Steve you said you liked to ride bikes and we like it to, this fall we plan on riding in Big Bend TX and Saguaro NP on our way to Yuma, I will let you know how it worked out.

Denny

Old 08-01-2016, 09:02 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
2 great places to see. Couple years back spent Christmas/ New Years at Big Bend (Stillwell RV _ stillwellstore.com) It was so quite it was noisy and the night sky was awesome. There was only 1 other RV there.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:22 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
All good ideas!

Thanks,

Steve

Old 08-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The Westward trek - we are headed back that way in about 3 weeks to visit where we didn't last year. Way more things to do or see then you could ever imagine - Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Arches National park, Bryce Canyon, Zion (this year for us) Santa Fe, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Pike's Peak, Estes, and more and more.

You will parallel Rt 66 with I-40 in AZ, NM, TX and OK and can 'drop' down there as you see fit but some is not really passable hauling an RV.

I have a Golden Age Passport though they have been replaced by a Senior Pass. Instead of 26 bucks to enter Grand Canyon, it was free. Yellowstone the same: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

Just a Bryce Canyon 'tickler' : Name:  DSC_0617_zpshb5qz3vv.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  235.7 KB

Quick Reply: Using the Senior Pass for campground discounts