Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm going back to my stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:39 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks like I'm going back to my stock turbo

After messing with the Powermax for 2 months, I'm done. As soon as I get back home, I will rebuild the stock turbo and put it back on the truck. I should have done better research on the Powermax to see what problems many others were dealing with on them. Since installing it I have had slower throttle response, decreased power, roughly 40% higher egts, and 10% decrease in fuel mileage. Even after purchasing some tunes, I am still seeing the same results. I've been to 2 different shops to try and pinpoint the problem but nothing is turning up. The only thing that was changed at that time was the turbo. /rant

Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 AM
carnochanm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang that sucks. I seen your thread in the 6.0 section and it didnt look like many options or solutions to your problem.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:22 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry 12345

Old 07-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Apoc, I didn't mention anything in this thread about where I got it or what I was doing with the turbo.

Please remove

Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang that stinks. Been doing a little reading and it seems very hit and miss with that turbo. Have you tried anything else besides tunes?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:03 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What rpm does the turbo seem to come on vs stock? My 03 seems to lag compared to the 05 ex with 04 motor we had. Not sure if it's the turbo but if it is I'm looking at kc turbo and a plus they are close by. Hope you get it figured out soon

Old 08-01-2016, 05:30 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Make sure you use a wicked wheel. I did mine recently, new stock center with a WW and what a difference. New whistle tone and no issues loaded up a hill. I see a box with yellow tape in your future.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:45 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
Make sure you use a wicked wheel. I did mine recently, new stock center with a WW and what a difference. New whistle tone and no issues loaded up a hill. I see a box with yellow tape in your future.
He has a 6.0...little different animal.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
I think that may be the root cause.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
I think that may be the root cause.
I knew that one was coming at some point.

Not sure what I will do. I still have about 8000 miles before I make it back home. That gives me a lot of time to decide. One thing for certain is this turbo is coming off.

I normally see my egts around 700, and 1000 when towing. Now the norm is 1100 and 1400 when towing. MPG has dropped to around 8.5 while towing.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:52 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Have you checked your VGT wiring pigtail? I had this issue on one of my work trucks and a stock reman turbo. Thought it was the turbo and chased my tail for about 6 months. Ended up being the pigtail, swapped it out and everything is good to go.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by duck fan
Have you checked your VGT wiring pigtail? I had this issue on one of my work trucks and a stock reman turbo. Thought it was the turbo and chased my tail for about 6 months. Ended up being the pigtail, swapped it out and everything is good to go.
That was one of the first thing I had the both the shops check.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
No warranty option to see if you just got a bad turbo? Or is it just a universal issue with your upgrade model?

Sorry you're going through this, I could hear the frustration a few weeks back when we talked on the phone. If you'd like I can poke some local friends that own successful shops and see what they recommend and use with success...?

Old 08-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
No warranty option to see if you just got a bad turbo? Or is it just a universal issue with your upgrade model?

Sorry you're going through this, I could hear the frustration a few weeks back when we talked on the phone. If you'd like I can poke some local friends that own successful shops and see what they recommend and use with success...?
Warranty is a no go. I did have the option to remove, send to Garrett for testing and then they will inform the web retailer of results. I am not interested in that option since both the manufacturer and retailer pretty said it can't be their turbo and it has to be something else; and the large amount of negative feedback I have now been finding on those turbos.

Poke around a bit if you don't mind. I will do some research to see what is a better option...rebuild and upgrade stock or buy from a different manufacturer.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
I can't imagine running a company that does not stand by their products 100%. You hear companies complain and say that if they returned every single product that everyone had a problem with, they would not make any money... I call BS... but what do I know? I only own a company that does an average of $5,000,000 a year in sales between retail, wholesale, and distribution and we have had a lifetime guarantee on our products since day one... we even cover human error and plain ol' stupidity.

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm going back to my stock turbo