2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Exterior backup Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exterior backup Alarm

Can the truck be fitted with a reverse alarm aftermarket and connected to the upfitter switch?

Old 07-31-2016, 06:05 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course. The up fitter switches can be used for any 12v accessory.

you could use up fitter to provide power for a relay, reverse signal wired into relay as well and output of relay to reverse alarm...

I have my air horns wired up the same way with the signal coming from the horn and up fitter providing the power to the relay.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
Of course. The up fitter switches can be used for any 12v accessory.

you could use up fitter to provide power for a relay, reverse signal wired into relay as well and output of relay to reverse alarm...

I have my air horns wired up the same way with the signal coming from the horn and up fitter providing the power to the relay.
That sounds like a good way to wire the horns. I was always wanting a lanyard and mechanical valve with the lanyard in the upper left corner of the cab like my KW used to be. But I now want as seamless an installation as possible. Did you frame mount your compressor and tank? I have hesitated on the install due to the salt and winter harshness under the truck. I mounted the compressor for the air ride under the rear seat. With a little creativity I could do the same thing since I do not believe I will need the air ride on the new truck.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:05 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Yes i frame mounted the compressor and tank (per EpicCowlicks instructions on youtube) It really worked out nicely. I think on my new truck i may put the compressor and tank in the bed (should have room under the rolling bed cover can near the front). With the new boxed frame i have a feeling it will be a PITA to try and bolt anything onto it.

I live in south texas so my truck has seen snow only on my trip to cincinatti. The intake for the compressor is in the cab so really everything is holding up great.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fidel.medrano
Yes i frame mounted the compressor and tank (per EpicCowlicks instructions on youtube) It really worked out nicely. I think on my new truck i may put the compressor and tank in the bed (should have room under the rolling bed cover can near the front). With the new boxed frame i have a feeling it will be a PITA to try and bolt anything onto it.

I live in south texas so my truck has seen snow only on my trip to cincinatti. The intake for the compressor is in the cab so really everything is holding up great.
Thanks. As more and more drivers are being released on the highway with not a bit of courtesy and complete disregard for right of way, law, and just general incompetency I need a louder way to get their attention. With their tunes cranked up and intent on cutting others off to find pokeitman or whatever I get more and more agitated at having to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident for someone who never even imagines they were at fault.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Any suggestions on a good backup alarm or air horn?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:20 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Originally Posted by Azuretruck
Any suggestions on a good backup alarm or air horn?
If you're really wanting to make a statement then go with the Kleinn "The Demon - Triple Train Horn"

Old 07-31-2016, 09:23 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
I like the "Shocker" from horn blasters. Plenty loud and has that big rig sound.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Any suggestions on backup alarm?

Old 07-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
I have a 5 trumpet set I purchased years ago...I had them on my shop and when Mrs went out for a walk I could annoy her up to 2 miles away. Plenty loud and a very "Sweet" sound. I will try to find the brand but think that is long ago lost. One of the advertising points was tuned to sound most like a train. They do. Sometimes toot at the train which runs close to the back of my shop and usually get a toot back unless new engineer who gets overly startled at the thought of cross traffic.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Azuretruck
Any suggestions on backup alarm?
I have a Timex Indiglo battery powered alarm clock I use if it is really important I get up. I set it to ring 10 minutes after my primary alarm. It always pays to have a back-up.

I would go to a heavy duty truck or construction equipment supplier and see what they have available. There are different sounds available. Personally, unless required by law because of business, would just be extra careful. I hate backup alarms and on a construction site they are so common that people become immune to their sound. I won't go to McDonalds even for just coffee because of the ear splitting alarms which allowed to ring and ring. Maybe I should get a job there for a while and then try for a settlement due to ear damage.

Why not the one from Ford?